XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery Connection Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Connection Issue?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 XF 3.0 AWD that I purchased not long ago as a rescue. I just felt so bad for her. I have since been going through all the preventative maintenance and services to achieve a healthy baseline before doing anything drastic.

Most recently I have replaced bot the primary and secondary batteries. I did so at Jaguar as I'm familiar with how temperamental these cars can be with even a slightly different battery.

Here's were the trouble is starting. Since the replacement, I have taken it back to reset the BMS, have the techs poke around on SDD, and have done my own troubleshooting. I have been trying to track down a strange little gremlin that will randomly light up my dash like a Christmas tree, causing multiple fault messages, and even putting the car in limp mode.

I believe I have finally found the issue. I always go to the battery in this type of scenario and noticed something I've never noticed before. Upon arriving home after experiencing, yet another series of fault flashes, I turned the car off and opening the boot. I started checking wires and connections and found that the car (again, while off) started doing things like: unlocking/locking the doors, turning on randomly, and basically reacting when I jiggled the negative cable.

Now, the cable is secured tightly at both ends. There are no loose nuts anywhere. There is no corrosion or moisture. However, the car goes nuts when I tug on that negative cable. I'm thinking it's the current sensor attached to it, but I can't find this particular event occurring on any other forums. Has anyone had this issue, and is the solution a new current sensor? Is there anything else I could be missing? I can't identify any grounding issues.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Canaday, this sounds very interesting. I have one question regarding the “negative” cable. Is it the negative cable attached to the primary/main battery or the secondary/smaller battery?

Old 12-12-2023, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the primary/main battery.