XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery died again -- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Battery died again -- any ideas?

After sitting idle for two days, my car had to be jump started today. Ten days ago, it sat idle for three days and had to be jump started.

Back in August, same thing after sitting for 2 days. Right after that, I took it to the dealer and they said the battery and electrical system both tested fine.

Today, I took it to the dealer again and they said everything was fine, but they'd keep it overnight to check it again tomorrow.

Just over a year ago, after another couple of dead battery incidents, I took it in and they did the software update to make sure the infotainment system was turning off when the car was turned off, so that's no longer the problem.

Any ideas? This is a bit of a bother.

2010 XF Premium (5.0)

Last edited by Long Islander; 11-12-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Somethings up. Left my'11 for nine days without starting. Started on first try.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Somethings up. Left my'11 for nine days without starting. Started on first try.
Agreed. Last June-July, we were away for 8 days, and the car was unused for around 9-10 days with no problem. Then 6-7 weeks later, dead battery after 3 days of sitting. This has all the signs of a battery that isn't holding a charge, yet they say it tested like a brand new battery. I'm getting really ticked off.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Battery tender should keep your battery fresh, but if your battery is already bad, replace the battery, then install a battery tender, I made a thread about my tender, I'll look for it and get you the link. TC

Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Do you lock the car?

Is the car left in close proximity to where you hang the keys?

I always lock the car, even for an hour or two in the garage.

I have been told it puts the car into sleep mode. Only the alarm on.

I was told that the car unlocked (especially if the keys are close) keeps the electronics in a ready state and it drains the battery faster.

The following users liked this post:
kenmicn (01-05-2020)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Do you lock the car?

I was told that the car unlocked (especially if the keys are close) keeps the electronics in a ready state and it drains the battery faster.
Yes, I also second this. If you lock your car with the FOB and make sure that it is out of range as to not keep the car in a ready state, this should really help things out. I've noticed that the NAV DVD will spin, the touchscreen, START/STOP button, etc. all will be going if you don't lock up and "step away from the vehicle".

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Batteries can go bad for many reasons. Testing only puts a load on the battery in its current state. I would replace the battery.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Do you leave your iPod plugged in?

This unexpected battery dead thing happened to me and I felt it was because the iPod was always charging or operating when the car is off. I did not have the car locked in my garage. I had the same issue when I had the iPod plugged into my SUV after I left it sit for over a week. Now I don't leave the iPod plugged into the car when I get out.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
This unexpected battery dead thing happened to me and I felt it was because the iPod was always charging or operating when the car is off. I did not have the car locked in my garage. I had the same issue when I had the iPod plugged into my SUV after I left it sit for over a week. Now I don't leave the iPod plugged into the car when I get out.
Ed, which model ipod do you have?

When i first got the car, i used to do the same, afraid of draining the battery. Especially, since it's such a known problem with the XFs.
But, i got tired of opening the center console and plugging/unplugging the ipod.
Did little research and ran tests for myself. To conclude my statement, once i turn off the car, within about 3:45 seconds, the car goes completely dead (can't move the seats etc..) and stops charging the ipod. I have tested numerous times and same thing happens every time.

Now, i leave the Nano always hooked up in the car. Last week i had left the car sitting for good 5 days with no problems starting.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by blaydes99
Yes, I also second this. If you lock your car with the FOB and make sure that it is out of range as to not keep the car in a ready state, this should really help things out. I've noticed that the NAV DVD will spin, the touchscreen, START/STOP button, etc. all will be going if you don't lock up and "step away from the vehicle".
Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Do you lock the car?

I agree as well with this. My car doesnt sleep unless the doors are locked.

Also there is a software update for the XF that fixes a drain like this. Something to do with the cluster not sleeping.

Platinumforme (02-16-2013)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue with my '07 Escalade ESV where the dang thing would drain the battery if any dome light was on for like 2-3 minutes. After having the electrical system and battery tested numerous times (and being told that is 'normal') I went ahead and simply changed the battery. Problem solved (though I still sold the Caddy and got my QX56 with is a great SUV and much higher quality IMO than my Escalade).

Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I never lock my car in the garage and never have any battery issues.

Locking your car in the garage just gts you a broken car window as well as a busted garage door.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to lock mine to keep the battery from draining too. This 'feature' is part of the poor reporting on JD Power and Consumer Reports

Platinumforme (02-16-2013)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

My 2008 (MY2009) goes dead after a couple of minutes, even if I sit in it with the key in my pocket. It will sit happily for a week without any issues. Never locked in the garage. (Just like jagular I consider a bust garage door lock enough .... I had a break in a year ago and they took some CDs + loose change but no damage to the car. It is a fair bet I would have had a damaged car as well if it had been locked.)

EDIT: A quick check of battery true condition is to switch on the audio only (ignition off) until it turns itself off. If it warns you that it will switch off to conserve battery instead of just timing out and switching off you have a battery that is either not fully charged (as in multiple starts with minute journeys) or a battery on its way out.

Last edited by Per; 11-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default iPod Touch 16gig

Originally Posted by Executive
Ed, which model ipod do you have?

When i first got the car, i used to do the same, afraid of draining the battery. Especially, since it's such a known problem with the XFs.
But, i got tired of opening the center console and plugging/unplugging the ipod.
Did little research and ran tests for myself. To conclude my statement, once i turn off the car, within about 3:45 seconds, the car goes completely dead (can't move the seats etc..) and stops charging the ipod. I have tested numerous times and same thing happens every time.

Now, i leave the Nano always hooked up in the car. Last week i had left the car sitting for good 5 days with no problems starting.
I have an old one that I know has a poor battery and doesn't hold a charge well. I think its always charging. I have a classic and a newer touch which I can't find now. So I had the same issue in my 03' Vette and Sequoia. I like the Satellite radio better anyway. I'll have to run some tests.

BTW I'm writing up a "How To" for switching over to ceramic pads. All four wheels for $116 and no squeaks and no dust. I hate the black brake dust more, lol

Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Can anyone say how long the battery is under warranty from the dealer if it needs replacing? Or will they call it a wearable item like brakes, clutch,etc?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Battery is covered for the same period. Mine was replaced under warranty.

Four years isn't bad for a modern car's battery if you drive in severe cold.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
I never lock my car in the garage and never have any battery issues.

Locking your car in the garage just gts you a broken car window as well as a busted garage door.
It's actually quite the opposite.

Leaving doors unlocked or windows down is an open invitation. Keep them closed, people won't bother.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
I have to lock mine to keep the battery from draining too. This 'feature' is part of the poor reporting on JD Power and Consumer Reports
Where did you learn about this unlocked doors = battery drain issue? You may be on to something.

Car sat for 3 days in MY garage, doors unlocked. Battery dead. Drove to Washington, hotel valet parked the car, presumably locked, for 3 days. No problem. A week later, car sat for 2 days in MY garage, doors unlocked. Battery dead.

The only thing with this theory is that in the last year since they did the software update, I've definitely left the car idle for more than 2-3 days on several occasions with no problem. So why is it going dead now? Probably because the battery is much weaker than it was a year ago. I think the solution is a new battery, which Jaguar-Land Rover doesn't want to pay for.

I spoke with JLR Customer Service yesterday to try and press them for a replacement battery. Let's see what happens when they call me back.

Last edited by Long Islander; 11-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery died again -- any ideas?