XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery and door locking/unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Battery and door locking/unlocking

2013 XF 3.0 AWD - noticed corrosion on Negative main battery terminal, took cable off and cleaned, then re-attached cable - now the doors will not lock or unlock with the key fob.
I read in forum to have my service center tell the car it got a new battery - we did that, no luck.
Another thread said make sure battery is properly charged - checked and main battery is in excellent shape showing 12.74 Volts, the little battery for the auto cut-out thing I did not know I have and do not use is in need of replacement but not available and another thread said it had nothing to do with it, and if I just disconnect it all will be okay - it was not.
Faced with $165 just to have the Jag Dealer diagnose, I thought I'd try one more time and do my own post to see if anyone has any solid recommendations to cure this. Thanks

Old 06-03-2021, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

You could try disconnecting power again. Give it a minute and reconnect. Modules will start up again and that could help

Else put the fob in the dock, start and run the engine. Then shut down and try is.

A couple of people have had similar issues when disconnecting the battery. However I've done mine many times with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
CzechFrank (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
You could try disconnecting power again. Give it a minute and reconnect. Modules will start up again and that could help

Else put the fob in the dock, start and run the engine. Then shut down and try is.

A couple of people have had similar issues when disconnecting the battery. However I've done mine many times with no problems.

Thanks again - I tried the disconnect for some time, did not work. I do not have a doc for my key fob in my car, is there another method to get the fob and car to communicate?

Old 06-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

This issue only effects facelift cars, pre-facelift never had an issue disconnecting the battery.
There is some software around that will re-set this without changing parts, but will still happen everytime the battery is disconnected!

​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
CzechFrank (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by CzechFrank
Thanks again - I tried the disconnect for some time, did not work. I do not have a doc for my key fob in my car, is there another method to get the fob and car to communicate?
Look in the user manual to check. Mine is a pre facelift so it has a dock in the steering column that you can insert it into. I think on later models there is a place against the steering column with a plastic mark on it and you just hold it up to that. And it communicates without using keyfob power.

But - if you have the issue John references in the helpful bulletin then I assume you can already start the car and this is a central locking issue so the fob docking prob won't help you.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CzechFrank this is a very expensive repair if done by Jaguar as they insist on replacing 2 control modules as shown in the Topix bulletin above. If you can find near you a Jaguar independent who uses Autologic Diagnostic equipment they should be able to fix this in minutes by connecting to the computer. As John says above there is a big risk that the problem will reoccur if the battery is disconnected again. It does only affect Facelift X250's and Jaguar have refused to admit that this is an obvious design fault within the affected units.
Hope you get it fixed