XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery maintainer question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Battery maintainer question.

Yesterday I purchased two Viking Battery Maintainers, one for my motorcycle and one for the XF. While the one for the bike seems to work as described (takes it to full charge and then goes into idle mode) the one I hooked up on the XF takes it to 14.8 volts and then drops immediately to 13.6 volts and starts all over again. It does not ever go idle after fully charging the XF battery. I did swap out the units and I get the same results from both tenders. At first I hooked up the leads directly to the battery terminals and after some reading in here (Brutal) I changed the earth ground and went to the chassis. I still have the same results. Before you ask, yes, the maintainer is set to an AGM battery which is what I have. It is a stock Jaguar battery although I did entirely remove the stop/start battery a few weeks ago and have had no problems. The reason I purchased these maintainer is because there will more then likely be periods where I do not drive the XF for a few weeks or so and I thought that this may help save the life span of the battery this winter. I have not had any issues with the electrical system whatsoever in case you are wondering.
Anyone else experience this and if so is it normal?

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************

Udate: I just looked at the negative reviews on this particular Battery Maintainer. It seems that I am not the only one who has this very issue with this product. Some spoke about over charging the battery because it never went into maintenance mode. It may have something to do with the "AGM" feature, I don't know. Going to return one of them and try another brand for the XF. Battery is too expensive to take any chances. Next move is to read in here what brand most Jaguar owners use and purchase one of those. Sorry for the this thread before I did more research but at least anyone that reads this can steer clear of this brand and model for their AGM batteries.

Last edited by SunFlower; 10-13-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Just returned one of the two Viking Maintainers to Harbor Freight with no problem. On the way home I dropped in to O'Rielly's and picked up a Battery Tender Brand and now have it hooked up and charging. Voltage started out at 13.0 volts and is increasing slowly. Difference between the two maintainers is the Viking was pushing 4A and the Battery tender is pushing 1.25A. We'll see if I ever get the green light indicating that the battery is fully charged and the unit is in maintenance mode. My fingers are crossed.

The Battery Tender brand was a little more then twice the price of the Viking one but it will be well worth it if it works as it should. I did turn the trunk latch lock to close while it is open to shut off the light bulb.

Last edited by SunFlower; 10-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 PM

It took a few hours but the solid green light finally illuminated indicating the system is in Maintenance mode. Last I saw it the voltage was at 14.47 volts while being charged. It seems that the battery was able to be fully charged and now sits at 13.07 volts as shown in the photo. For a while there I thought that I had a battery that was on its way out not being able to be fully charged. Good to know that I can leave it hooked up this winter and not worry.

Last weekend I performed an oil change myself. I purchased the filter and Castrol oil (0w-20) from the Jaguar dealer here in town and also had to purchase an evacuation pump to complete the job. Although it had an oil change 1500 miles ago from a non Jaguar dealer (where I purchased it) I just wanted to make sure it had the right oil in it. The job went very smooth and was quite easy to do. From what I could tell approx. 7.5 quarts of oil was removed and replaced. Nothing in old filter whatsoever I did check), good clean oil.
A week from today I have an appt. with Jag to get another key fob since I was only given one at time of purchase.

I sure am enjoying this vehicle. I had to make myself take my 14r for a run today. I did enjoy it but I believe if made to decide to get rid of one - the bike would for sure go!
Have a terrific week everyone.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I just put my Nocco Charger maintainer on my XF, it was drained after a fwe weeks with the door unlocked in the garage.

Slowly charging ( I left town before knowing but it did nine my my mercedes. ) I will report back if it hits maintenance mode when I get back

The following users liked this post:
SunFlower (10-15-2019)