XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery replacement - broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Battery replacement - broken bolt

So - replaced the battery on my 2010 XF SC today. First time I've done it in the 5 years I've had it and the existing battery was dated 2011 so it had been a while...

Anyway - all straightforward except getting the battery retaining bracket off. The bolt that goes straight down through the floor of the car was completely stuck. I had sprayed it liberally underneath the car with WD40 as others had suggested but it wouldn't budge. And in trying to undo it the bolt snapped just where it goes into the car floor next to the battery

So - two questions. Firstly how to get the short broken off piece out?? Then can I get a replacement bolt through the same hole or do I need to somehow replace the piece it screws into on the floor of the car?

Photo below of broken bolt and also the remaining rusty piece sticking out under the car. The liquid on it is the WD40
I can see a hex nut that the bolt seems to go through - is that replaceable?

Attached Thumbnails Battery replacement - broken bolt-photo85.jpg   Battery replacement - broken bolt-photo555.jpg  
Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

This is a well known problem on the XF (and before that the S-Type).
Sorry I can't help with a known fix though, all I can suggest is to figure out another way to tie down the battery or buy a new tie down rod and bolt from JLR (apparently you can't get just the bolt and you have to spring for the rod as well) and work out a way to remove the broken off bit. I have read somewhere that applying an oxy torch onto the nut underneath loosens it off enough, but of course the fuel tank is not far away so I wouldn't try it myself! Alternatively maybe you can drill it out from above?

Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the ideas Oz. Yes - I looked around and found lots of people saying common issue but not a simple fix. Your suggestions are good and I'll give those a try.

Tried to order the replacement bolt and as you say they sell the whole bracket assembly for about $30. I did also find on eBay just the bolt for a Ford / Lincoln for $4 which looks identical. They have sold 1500 of them... So in the interests of research I bought it and will measure and report back. Once I get the old one out...

Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

I live in the "snow belt" of the northeastern portion of the United States, where road salt is used in the winter, so this is a concern of mine, too. I also owned a "cousin" of the S-Type and XF, a 2000 Lincoln LS, for nine years, before purchasing our '09 XF, so I'm familiar with this "known problem".

With respect to the "stub" of old bolt, that's now stuck in your trunk floor, I suggest soaking the remnants in penetrating oil, from the top (in the trunk), then grabbing the stub from below, with a pair of vice grips, and twisting it out from underneath. Just remember to turn the stub counter-clockwise, as in "loosening" it.

If that works, and you purchase a replacement, coat the threads of the new one, with anti-seize compound before you install it. One other thing I did, was to cut a short length of rubber tubing and slip it over the portion of the stud that hangs underneath the car. The object of this is to keep the stud from being blasted with road salt and corroding.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you leadfoot. Exactly what I am trying. Will post back once I get it resolved...

Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Ok. Finally fixed the broken battery bolt. That was a pita... Some suggestions below.

What I tried - soaked it in Gasoila Free All Rust Eater Deep Penetrating Oil. It cleaned the visible bit of the bolt sticking out the bottom nicely. Tried pliers and lock-jaw wrench to grab the bolt stem from underneath but couldn't make it turn. Part of the problem that it's hard to get real torque on a narrow bolt stub...

Tried JB Weld metal weld glue to glue a nut onto the stem to get better grip. Not even close. Maybe stem wasn't clean enough
Tried hammering it a bit to loosen it too. Still no luck

So - I resorted to drilling it out from above. Remove battery - I also removed the plastic battery tray (4 bolts) for more space. But would have been fine without. Drilled a tiny drill bit then progressively larger bit until it popped through the side of the bolt sticking underneath. Then grabbed with lock jaw pliers from underneath, crushed it as hard as I could to make the bolt narrower and finally managed to get it to turn and screwed it out the bottom of the car.

See below for photo of the bolt. It was rusted right through the screw thread so no amount of rust removing spray was going to help. My suggestion - try soaking it for a day. If it still doesn't budge then drill it out. Only took 20 mins!

Attached Thumbnails Battery replacement - broken bolt-photo698.jpg   Battery replacement - broken bolt-photo279.jpg  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

And while Jag will only sell the whole kit of replacement bolt plus the metal battery harness, I bought on eBay for $7 a replacement battery holder bolt from a Ford which is a perfect fit. Seem to be lots of them - mine says "New Battery Base Clamp Hold Down Kit - Fits Ford Lincoln Mercury
They have sold over a thousand of them - so clearly a common issue...

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Murray (03-25-2021)