XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bay Area / San Francisco - exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area / San Francisco - exhaust advice

Hello, XF owners and enthusiasts,

I'm a newbie, just got my 2009 4.2 Supercharged a couple of months ago, and I can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm thinking about installing a custom exhaust. I figured I want to only replace mufflers, because my car is still under warranty and even though I wouldn't mind some HP increase, my primary goal is to give the cat a little bit more growl.

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help me with, especially if you live in Bay Area/San Francisco:

1) Brand/sound: I would absolutely love to meet someone local to hear your after-market/custom exhaust. It's kinda scary to order one without hearing it first in real life. I promise to bring your favorite beer. Or maybe there are some local gatherings I could attend?

2) Is there anything else other than Mina (Jaguar XF Performance Exhaust) and Quicksilver (Jaguar XF SV8 4.2 - Sport Exhaust (2008-09) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems). Mina's considerably less expensive - is it that much worse? Anything else I should consider?

3) It would seem based on the pictures that the installation should be relative quick and easy - is that so? How much should it cost? My dealer said they don't do this stuff, any shops you can recommend or should I just do it myself?

4) Is there anything I could do with the original mufflers other than throw them away (seems like a waste)? Any luck trying to sell them?

5) Seems like some just tinker with the pipes (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-growl-59504/) instead of buying an expensive aftermarket system. Can you achieve similar results without replacing the whole thing? Are there local exhaust shops that would take it on?

6) There's some evidence that you can run into troubles with California law: see Exhaust modification in California Law, my viewpoint, sources included. - Honda Civic Forum and California's Modified Exhaust Law. Both cite the vehicle code requiring sound level of <95db (which I suppose both Mina and Quicksilver would comply with?) but still running into problems with police. What's your experience, guys?

Thank you so much!

Artem.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

The Mina exhaust isn't very loud. You get a good V8 growl but in no way is it up near 95db. The quicksilver is supposed to be louder but I haven't heard it. The Mina was very easy to install. Look up the Mina threads. There are pictures showing the exhaust. It's only an axle back system. You don't even have to jack the car up to do it. The hardest part is adjusting it so the tips line up correctly. If it were on a shop lift I'd say they could do it in 30 mins.

I emailed Magnaflow a while back to see if they would build a system for our cars. They create kits based on how much interest they get (emails from owners). Everyone should email them so we have more choices on the market. Give info on your car when you ask.

The following users liked this post:
tomrisky (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks again! That's good, I'm not necessarily looking for loud, more for a deep, low growl. The stock exhaust seems too docile on idle to me, and too whiny on high revs. If QuickSilver sounds anything like that in real life -
- it might be too sharp for me.

There's also Spires -
- and it sounds much more to my taste in this video, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

I saw a lot of YouTube videos of Mina, but it's very hard to form an opinion, especially when in the video it's a different car (SV8 vs XFR) or some other mods were done (e.g. direct pipe). Of course, the best way would be to hear it in real life - do you have an idea where I could do that?

So far based on the videos, I like Spires best. How much louder would you say Mina is compared to the original exhaust? I know it's hard to give advice like this, but do you think I'll be happy with Mina based on what I said above and the Spires video?

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were modifying my exhaust I would go with electric cut outs. Everythingelse is a compromise.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tomrisky
Thanks again! That's good, I'm not necessarily looking for loud, more for a deep, low growl. The stock exhaust seems too docile on idle to me, and too whiny on high revs. If QuickSilver sounds anything like that in real life -
- it might be
too sharp for me.

There's also Spires -
- and it sounds much more to my taste in this video, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

I saw a lot of YouTube videos of Mina, but it's very hard to form an opinion, especially when in the video it's a different car (SV8 vs XFR) or some other mods were done (e.g. direct pipe). Of course, the best way would be to hear it in real life - do you have an idea where I could do that?

So far based on the videos, I like Spires best. How much louder would you say Mina is compared to the original exhaust? I know it's hard to give advice like this, but do you think I'll be happy with Mina based on what I said above and the Spires video?

Thank you!
This is what I would do if I didn't have the Mina.

http://youtu.be/mEfr0tpGKbs

Attached Thumbnails Bay Area / San Francisco - exhaust advice-ddd3a23a-fba4-4b49-b330-df7315157ecc-3116-000002b1e98eef41_zps45b0d8f9.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tomrisky
Thanks again! That's good, I'm not necessarily looking for loud, more for a deep, low growl. The stock exhaust seems too docile on idle to me, and too whiny on high revs. If QuickSilver sounds anything like that in real life - JAGUAR XF SV8 WITH QUICKSILVER EXHAUST SOUND CHECK - YouTube - it might be
too sharp for me.

There's also Spires - Spires Jaguar XF SV8 Sports Exhaust - YouTube - and it sounds much more to my taste in this video, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

Thank you!
This is what I would do if I didn't have the Mina.
http://youtu.be/mEfr0tpGKbs

Attached Thumbnails Bay Area / San Francisco - exhaust advice-ddd3a23a-fba4-4b49-b330-df7315157ecc-3116-000002b1e98eef41_zps45b0d8f9.jpg  

Last edited by chXFS; 02-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Yeah, that sounds really nice. I called them yesterday, they do ship to the US. They told me that the standard exhaust is 88 dB and their system (including the central part) is 105 dB. Rear only would be something in between I guess. I'm a little worried - don't want it to get too loud. But it's a sweet sound indeed, and they can quiet it down if needed. They don't seem to ship a lot to the US though - I'd be the first client in California, which means I can't hear it in real-life.

Will be calling Spires, too.

So, do you guys just throw the original part away? Seems like such a waste.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd imagine most will keep their stock parts (like I am). Then you can put the stock parts back on if you ever sell the car and get more money for the aftermarket parts selling them seperately.

The following users liked this post:
tomrisky (02-14-2013)