XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bent Rims/Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bent Rims/Sirius Radio

Hi all,

I took my 2010 XF Supercharged to the dealer on Friday for a recent wobble/vibration problem in my wheel.

I've been told that the two front tires definitely need replacing (Dunlop Sport Maxx). I was also told that ALL 4 rims are slightly bent. I've had the car for a year now, and never noticed this problem until recently. I'm not sure if I was the one to bend them or the previous owner was, but I live in Chicago so it's not entirely out of the question with the amount of potholes we have to dodge every day

The dealer told me to replace the tires first, see how the vibration is, and if it has significantly subsided, I can probably get by without repairing the rims.

Should I follow that advice? I just ordered my tires today (awesome price, $345), so I will be mounting them relatively soon.

ALSO, another issue I have noticed is that my Sirius ID does not display (I never noticed it until last week when I wanted to subscribe). The tech told me that he can get the number from the back of the unit, but would have to charge my $135. Something does not sound right there...as that unit should be covered under warranty and replaced if it is malfunctioning.

Some advice is needed! Thanks.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

I would take the wheels to a wheel repair shop along with the new tires you ordered. A good shop can easily check and repair any wheels that are not running true.

Companies like Wheels America have lots of locations, but you might want to check with local car clubs as to which shops they trust in your area.

Wheel repair is usually about $100/wheel, but they may find that most of them are ok.

After repairing the wheels, they can put on the new tires so you don't have to pay again for mounting/balancing.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I've been hesitant to repair the wheels, as I've heard some methods can sometimes weaken the metal (from heating??).

Patrick Jaguar in Naperville is asking me for $200 per wheel...

Old 08-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

I also have a 2010 XF SC. I have the 20inch selena wheels. I was told when I last switched onto my winter tyres that all 4 wheels are bent on mine too. Apparently a pretty common issue (particularly where there are potholes like in the north-east - and Chicago too I presume). It hasn't caused me any problems - they managed to mount and balance the tyres fine and my tyres have been wearing evenly. I don't feel any major vibration though - it's pretty smooth. So my suggestion is fit and balance the tyres, and if the vibration is gone you should be fine. if there is still vibration I'd take it to a wheel shop and have them try and straighten.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimitri_010
Should I follow that advice? I just ordered my tires today (awesome price, $345), so I will be mounting them relatively soon.

$345 each or for 2???

Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I also have a 2010 XF SC. I have the 20inch selena wheels. I was told when I last switched onto my winter tyres that all 4 wheels are bent on mine too. Apparently a pretty common issue (particularly where there are potholes like in the north-east - and Chicago too I presume). It hasn't caused me any problems - they managed to mount and balance the tyres fine and my tyres have been wearing evenly. I don't feel any major vibration though - it's pretty smooth. So my suggestion is fit and balance the tyres, and if the vibration is gone you should be fine. if there is still vibration I'd take it to a wheel shop and have them try and straighten.
If you take it to a wheel shop, they won't unbend rims that aren't bent. If they are bent they will fix it before mounting and balancing the new tires. They can tell easily with their equipment if the wheel is bent. Most will let you watch while they are doing that so you can see for yourself if they don't spin true.

So potentially save yourself a trip and some cash and go a to wheel repair shop first.

Unbending a slightly bent wheel will not weaken it. I have had some majorly bent wheels fixed without issue. One of the wheels on my Lotus was mildly bent, like your wheel is most likely, and the car has not blow up in a mushroom cloud in the past 2 years of driving it since the repair.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-15-2014 at 03:51 PM.