XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Beware of Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover in Chantilly, VA

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

My experience with Rosenthal both Sales and Service has been pleasant. Every dealership will have good honest guys and the "typical" saleman. Just business! Glad you were able to get the indy inspection and pull out before pulling the trigger on the sale. Goodluck!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New to this forum but I am not new to this situation. Although I am not directly involved in this transaction I am very familiar and witness to the conversations this particular person had with the General Manager (I was present in the room when "Chuck" was on the telephone speaking on speakerphone multiple times).

I find it interesting when someone explains a story and neglects important information when it does not support their opinions.

What Chuck has not brought to light are the following points which he had full knowledge of prior to this Inspection:

1. The dealership took a small refundable deposit from Chuck to hold the vehicle.
2. Chuck requested we transport this vehicle from Virginia to Illinois for his viewing and Inspection and return it to Virginia at our expense if he was not satisfied (which the dealership stated was not an option).
3. The dealership suggested Chuck fly to Virginia and would be picked up by our dealership at Washington Dulles Airport (15 minutes away) which Chuck stated he did not have time for.
4. The Inspection was done by the Dealership's (specifically Jeremy, the GM) suggestion.
5. The Inspection was performed by the body shop that this dealership reffered Chuck to.
6. The dealership made the vehicle available for Inpsection with no resistance.
7. The Inspection report provided by Chuck does not indicate the reason for previous paint. The inspection report would indicate anything more than cosmetic repair.
8. This vehicle was not painted in our possession.
9. This vehicle was purchased by our dealership directly from Jaguar's finance company off lease.
10. The vehicle was offered to Chuck for $35K ($37K was to include the CPO Warranty at his request).
11. The reason Chuck knows the length of time this dealership has owned this vehicle is because Chuck has been making offers to the dealership from Iliinois for several months which have been refused which indicates Chuck has had more than enough time to make arrangements to see this vehicle.
12. Chuck informed us he had made several demands from a dealer in North Carolina on a similar Jaguar as well and backed away from a deal with them prior to commiting to this vehicle.
13. Chuck's deposit was immediately refunded without hesitation when requested.
14. Chuck has been using multiple aliases to post this half story on numerous websites since this occurred.

Now, with in mind I ask.. who seems less than truthful? In addition, for someone who does not have time to visit the dealer in person as the dealer suggested, he appears to have extra time to continue this rhetoric for more than two weeks.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Thanks for the input Fury1995.

Maybe you can post an intro in the new members section and let us know who you are?

I assume you are associated with Rosenthal? The general consensus of feedback seems to be positive towards the dealer.

Let's not have this spiral into a slanging match.

The following 3 users liked this post by Norri:
DPK (10-16-2013), Fury1995 (10-16-2013), JimC64 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fury1995
New to this forum but I am not new to this situation. Although I am not directly involved in this transaction I am very familiar and witness to the conversations this particular person had with the General Manager (I was present in the room when "Chuck" was on the telephone speaking on speakerphone multiple times).

I find it interesting when someone explains a story and neglects important information when it does not support their opinions..................

Now, with in mind I ask.. who seems less than truthful? In addition, for someone who does not have time to visit the dealer in person as the dealer suggested, he appears to have extra time to continue this rhetoric for more than two weeks.
Hey there, welcome to our forum.

Normally, this is something we don't have time for or allow here, but it seems to have been posted into.....

The OP has clearly joined this forum specifically to shout about this incident and put the word out, as it were about this particular dealer.

Funnily enough, several other members have chimed in to say they have had a few issues, they have had decent service, or even excellent service with no issues....so a broad and fair spectrum I guess.

I appreciate that you are connected with the dealership to some degree and its only fair that you have your say as the OP has been allowed to have his.

I'm a great believer in trying to see it from both sides.

Thank you for your input....

I'll leave this for now, but past experiences tell me this is going to get ugly sooner rather than later and it will be closed down, perhaps even removed totally, for the benefit of all.

To all concerned - No offence but 2 very new guys here to slug it out in public on our forum, isn't going to happen.

Please consider this a warning.....anyone that goes too far will simply be removed from this site.

Thank you

DPK (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Thanks for the input Fury1995.

Maybe you can post an intro in the new members section and let us know who you are?

I assume you are associated with Rosenthal? The general consensus of feedback seems to be positive towards the dealer.

Let's not have this spiral into a slanging match.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will take you up on it. I wanted to share the opposing side to this story.

thanks again!

Norri (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawins1
Actually, if they would have been honest I would not have bought it. I do not want a car that was previously involved in a wreck, even if it's half the price of the going rate. The vehicle was not certified but I wanted it certified as part of the deal. They agreed.
I have attached a copy of the inspection report. As you can see there was much more than over spray on the windows. Also, the car is not certifiable as there are several tears on the right rear tire.
Sorry to be late to this particular party, but I'll just say you got your $175 worth of issues identified. I actually wonder what they'd find on a brand spanking new car, quite frankly, if you paid an inspector... Bad experience with a dealer - I have NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!!! - Good thing there are lots of dealers, and time to stop tearing down their whole business based on one event.

The following 3 users liked this post by rbobzilla:
DPK (10-16-2013), Gus (10-16-2013), JimC64 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, this comes down to one simple question which it sounds like Fury can elaborate on....

Everyone knows that dealers use and have access to paint meters (there are probably 20 of them at a dealer the size of Rosenthal)...with that being said....

1. did Rosenthal not check out the car with a paint meter to see if it had been previously repainted or have a good excuse not to? After all, it only takes about 10 secs to take some readings...and every dealer brings one even to auctions because none of them are going to be a car without knowing....or....

2. did Rosenthal know about the re-painted areas and just choose not to disclose it?

From everything that Fury has written, it sounds like Chuck is just an informed buyer and is very particular about covering his butt... I just would like to hear the dealers to response to why this was never disclosed?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM

and to the mod, I think it's great that you are allowing this continue with the warning because dealers have to know that they will be accountable for their actions (both good and bad).... The minute we silence the people is the day the people lose....

With that said, there is no need for name calling or personal attacks, but more info on the story....

In the interest of disclosure, I am from the DC area but haven't lived there in over 20 years...but I will have to do some research and see who the dealer that sold me my Jeep about 20 years ago that ended up needing the whole wiring harness replaced a month after the purchase (my dad would prob remember)... I know it was a dealer in VA and might have been Rosenthal but I will check and see... but for now and for arguments sake, lets assume that it wasn't...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fury1995
New to this forum but I am not new to this situation (I believe it). Although I am not directly involved in this transaction I am very familiar and witness to the conversations this particular person had with the General Manager (I was present in the room when "Chuck" was on the telephone speaking on speakerphone multiple times).

Incorrect. I spoke with Jeremy Lustman (you) one time. And he talked out of both sides of his mouth. I knew he was a dishonest person.

I find it interesting when someone explains a story and neglects important information when it does not support their opinions.

What Chuck has not brought to light are the following points which he had full knowledge of prior to this Inspection:

1. The dealership took a small refundable deposit from Chuck to hold the vehicle. -

Correct - a refundable deposit while we worked out the details and it was subject to a favorable inspection. What's your point?

2. Chuck requested we transport this vehicle from Virginia to Illinois for his viewing and Inspection and return it to Virginia at our expense if he was not satisfied (which the dealership stated was not an option).

False - Some dealers will give a period (typically 3 days) for a money back guarantee. If they are selling a quality vehicle with no known issues this shouldn't be a problem. I had more to lose than your dealership. It would have cost me $1400 to have the car shipped to me enclosed trailer and it would have cost a couple hundred to have the car inspected. It would have cost the dealership, what, $500-$600 to have the car transported back? But you knew the car would be going back to you, so there was no sense losing another $500+ on a vehicle that you've already lost on. I knew when my request was denied that something had to be wrong with the vehicle. Also, as you know, I was going to purchase the vehicle and have it transported at MY EXPENSE. Let's be clear here. You knew that the vehicle wouldn't come close to passing an inspection at my local Jaguar dealership. This had nothing to do with me being "satisfied" with the condition of the car. If it passed an inspection I was planning on keeping the vehicle. I certainly wouldn't spend close to $1600 (in addition to the price of the vehicle) if I wasn't serious about purchasing and keeping it.

3. The dealership suggested Chuck fly to Virginia and would be picked up by our dealership at Washington Dulles Airport (15 minutes away) which Chuck stated he did not have time for.

False - I stated that I wish I had time to make the trip out there. Good thing I didn't spend time and money to fly there only to find out that you're selling a POS that was involved in a wreck and not in condition to certify.

4. The Inspection was done by the Dealership's (specifically Jeremy, the GM) suggestion.

Incorrect - I always have vehicles inspected even if I purchase locally. I don't trust dealerships, car fax or auto check or my own eyes. I take them to a body shop and pay to have them thoroughly inspected.

5. The Inspection was performed by the body shop that this dealership reffered (corrected - referred) Chuck to.

Incorrect - I specifically called a few body shops to make certain that they do no work for your dealership. I wanted an unbiased inspection and opinion (I do have a functioning brain). I have an email from the owner of the body shop specifically stating that they do not perform any work for your dealership. Only an idiot would use the services of a body shop that was referred by the selling dealer.

6. The dealership made the vehicle available for Inpsection (corrected - Inspection) with no resistance.

Correct - As it should of. I guess you were hoping that someone that sees as well as Stevie Wonder would have inspected the vehicle. You had absolutely nothing to lose. You rolled the dice and lost.

7. The Inspection report provided by Chuck does not indicate the reason for previous paint. The inspection report would indicate anything more than cosmetic repair.

Again, close to half the car was repaired and repainted. I don't care about the reason it was repaired. I have an email from Sunny stating "no paint work". I can post it if you would like. Read the report again. You will see that some damage still exists. Cosmetic?? The car was in a terrible wreck obviously.

8. This vehicle was not painted in our possession.

Doesn't matter - Your dealership knew the car had extensive body and paint work. It should have been disclosed. Now that I have emailed you the inspection report you need to disclose this information to all prospective buyers (my ads on CL have worked very well by the way!) You wouldn't confirm in writing that the car, to the best of your knowledge, has had no body and paint work. Another cause for my skepticism. Any reputable dealership would have no problem providing this unless they knew there was previous damage. When I purchased my CTS-V from a dealership in CT it was sight unseen. But I had the GM, the salesman, the body shop manager all confirm in writing and sign that there was no body or paint work done. This is the difference between a reputable dealership and yours.

9. This vehicle was purchased by our dealership directly from Jaguar's finance company off lease.

I seriously doubt it. Off lease vehicles are carefully inspected and a detailed report is provided including pictures, etc. If it was done properly there is no way you would have purchased the vehicle. And by chance it was an off lease, it's irrelevant.

10. The vehicle was offered to Chuck for $35K ($37K was to include the CPO Warranty at his request).

False - $35k wasn't in the cards. Never was. I said I would pay asking price if dealership included CPO (I have email confirming this) I wouldn't have paid $30k for the car since it's been wrecked!! I have the CPO warranty paperwork you sent me. I contacted Jaguar USA and was told that the vehicle more than likely cannot be certified in the condition that it's in. Especially due to the damaged tire that makes it unsafe.

11. The reason Chuck knows the length of time this dealership has owned this vehicle is because Chuck has been making offers to the dealership from Iliinois (corrected - Illinois) for several months which have been refused which indicates Chuck has had more than enough time to make arrangements to see this vehicle.

Incorrect - I worked with the sales guy for about a month total, off and on (want me to attach the emails from Sunny) Check out cargurus.com. It's a great site that states the length of time a vehicle has been on the lot. Your car has been there since April or May of this year.

12. Chuck informed us he had made several demands from a dealer in North Carolina on a similar Jaguar as well and backed away from a deal with them prior to commiting (correction - committing) to this vehicle.

Incorrect - the dealership is in Greenville, SC was just as unprofessional as you and your sales guy, Sunny. The GM of the dealership in Greenville signed off on a deal which included certification of the vehicle. When I called to put down a deposit on it I was told that they couldn't honor the deal and reneged. I was told that after it was ran through service they found it needed new tires, sensors and another key. I didn't back away from the deal. The GM pulled the plug. I reluctantly offered to pay an additional $1000 to cover some of the additional cost in order to certify it. Read my reviews on cars.com of that dealership and yours. I have emails, documentation to back up all that I state.

13. Chuck's deposit was immediately refunded without hesitation when requested.

You had no choice. All dealerships take refundable deposits. What were you going to do? Hold my money hostage because I called off the deal due to your dishonesty? That wouldn't have been smart. Maybe you should reimburse me the $175 for the inspection.

14. Chuck has been using multiple aliases to post this half story on numerous websites since this occurred.

Incorrect - Just me. I have nothing to hide. I tell the full story and the truth (something you need to practice). I've only posted on a few sites and have received many "thanks" emails for the warning. Others have emailed me about similar experiences with the dealership.

You are lucky I didn't pay a visit to your dealership. Period. I am very truthful. I have all the documentation I need to back up my statements. And Jaguar USA isn't pleased with what you and Sunny tried to pull. The reason I didn't bring up several of the things you mention is that none of them are relevant. I am just warning people about you and the dealership by posting my experience. Let this be a learning lesson for you, Mr. Lustman. Nobody cares about the deposit I put down or about the fact that I didn't fly out there to personally look at the vehicle or which body shop inspected it or if the vehicle is a trade-in or an off lease or came from an auction, or that you refunded me the deposit or the price of the vehicle. What they care about is why the obvious damage/repairs/repaint/unsafe tire were not disclosed to me. Also, why would you certify an unsafe vehicle? How could you certify an unsafe vehicle?

Last edited by Lawins1; 10-17-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM

After reading that letter with them stating "no paintwork", I would say the dealer is at minimum guilty of gross negligence and would go as far as to say they are possibly guilty of the intent to perpetrate fraud if they are continuing to do so with other customers....

They should at minimum refund you your $175 that you spent on the inspection since it uncovered something that specifically put in writing that was clearly not the case....

If they are unwilling to do so, you could make their life a living nightmare by contacting the local police dept and letting them know of their willful intents to deceive and defraud people by using fraud and/or trickery as the methods to do so...back in the day they used to blow this one off, but with steep rise in online fraud they are starting to take all frauds more seriously....

It would be easy for them to send someone in, and prove that they are still intended to use fraud to monetarily deprive an unsuspecting victim...

I would strongly suggest to the dealer to re-emburse this man his inspection money and do the right thing from this point on...

This kind of documented exposure is exactly what the next possible victim, law enforcement, and/or the court systems use to show 'patterns of behavior' vs 'isolated incidences'...

(maybe you want to repost that letter without all the contact info or at least blacked out a little better, I'm assuming thats why you either removed the previous post or were asked to take it down)...

Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Default Great idea

TMobile - Thanks for your advice! I never thought about contacting the Chantilly police department. I will seriously consider it as I would hate to see someone purchase the vehicle due to fraudulent and deceptive practices.
Attached is the email from the sales guy.

Cheers!
Chuck

Last edited by Norri; 10-17-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Lawins, I've removed the attachment, as it included personal details.

I'm not seeing much future in this thread, you have made your point, time to move on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Fury1995 (10-17-2013), XJRChad (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This is getting hostile quickly. And putting somebody's personal information on a public forum is bad form. The rep from the dealer seems to be showing a lot more restraint than I would, that's for sure. Kudos, Fury1995.

You didn't buy the car, so drop it and move on already.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks to the long time members for keeping an open mind and allowing me to calmy and politely, without emotion partake in this discussion.

No, I am not the person the OP is accusing me of being. I'm simply someone who actually witnessed both sides of the emails and conversations that took place.

Much of the emails had language that is not appropriate for a forum such as this. I will not be addressing or responding to Mr. Leader (or Mr. Lampert or Mr. Chamberlain, the other aliases being used to further this complaint on any forum that can be reached.. not hard to figure out when a complaint using exact same wording under multiple names is used within hours of each other).

I will however, be glad to answer any question or questions from anyone else regarding this matter (hopefully not as I'd like to move on to better topics) or any other topic regarding Jaguar, Jaguar cars, future Jaguar vehicles or other subjects pertatining to Jaguar service. I would be happy to forward any difficult questions to sources I may have that could help any of the members here.

Last post in this thread from me. Contact me via another thread for any other information not pertaining to this matter.

Thank again!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Lawins, I've removed the attachment, as it included personal details.

I'm not seeing much future in this thread, you have made your point, time to move on.
With all due respect, JimC64 said it would be okay for me to re-post a copy of the email as it adds merit to to my valid complaint.
It doesn't contain personal information. It states the salesman's name and his business email address. It's far from being private or confidential information. If I blacked out all the info it wouldn't have made sense to post it as nobody would have known who it came from.
Time to move on indeed. I have found a reputable local dealer that will locate the vehicle I am looking for.
Cheers!
Chuck

Last edited by Lawins1; 10-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Sounds like we are all done here now.

Thread closed.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Norri.

I see that Fury managed to return and make good on his points, closed as far as he's concerned too, so all good.

We don't generally let these kind of threads run here for various reasons, not least of which, its not what the site is about,

Topic closed