XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bonnet / Hood Release catch

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet / Hood Release catch

Today's not been a great day. The Offside bonnet release catch wasn't engaging. I got an assistant to actuate the release lever and sure enough there was movement only at the nearside catch release mechanism. I wasn't sure how the mechanism was constructed and wondered if a part had broken. I removed the mechanism (two screws) and the release lever was complete;y seized. I sprayed the latch with carburettor cleaner, as if my magic the mechanism freed-up and was like new. I put the catch back in place and closed the bonnet with a satisfying click as everything worked as it should. Except the catch now won't release. Anyone else trying this, check that the bonnet release is releasing before closing the bonnet!

I'm not sure why the bonnet won't open, the nearside catch is working just fine. It's possible I didn't attach the cable properly. The only possible entry route I can think of is by removing the large engine undertray, can anyone confirm this? I started to remove the undertray securing bolts. The first Torx screw came out fine. The second just spins. The third (a hex head screw) snapped, I gave up at this point. If I can be confident that I can access the catch mechanism I will cut an access hole in the tray then afterwards fit an oversized panel; retained with self tapping screws. Can I access the latch this way? is there another way? finally, can anyone please measure the position of the latch from a centreline of the car so I can remove an appropriate section of undertray? If it matters its a 2010 XF 3.0S

Old 09-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

It's a long way up from the tray to the front scuttle panel.
There's also the secondary turbo actuator between you & the top!
I would work on trying to remove the complete tray, maybe cut off any seized bolts with a Dremal type tool.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:20 AM
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

That stinks. I'm afraid you will not be able to get to the catch from underneath. Its sitting on top of a metal panel, at least in my 2013. Maybe yours is different but to me it looks like the best way is to cut a hole through the black plastic behind the grille and hope to release the catch from there or reach both bolts.
Good luck,
Chris

The following users liked this post:
thistle4celtic1 (01-29-2022)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by chris.schneider
That stinks. I'm afraid you will not be able to get to the catch from underneath. Its sitting on top of a metal panel, at least in my 2013. Maybe yours is different but to me it looks like the best way is to cut a hole through the black plastic behind the grille and hope to release the catch from there or reach both bolts.
Good luck,
Chris

Thanks Chris, Saved me a lot of unnecessary and damaging work. Just to be sure, mine is a UK variant, the stuck catch is on the right hand side of the car when sat in the car looking forward, I guess that plate obsures access to both latches? Is there any way to remove the grill without damaging it? Can anybody with a 2010 MY confirm that Chris's advice applies to mine? Finally - does anywone in or around Glasgow Scotland have a car I can peer into for reference please? Thanks all

Old 09-20-2021, 05:56 AM
Default Waste the bonnet?

Having looked at the price of used parts I'm of the mind to cut a hole in the bonnet around the securing bracket. It will save me the problem of removing and rfeplacing the grille (I understand that involves removal of the bumper and undertray, which itself is secured by seized crews/unsecure retaining clips). Am I missing something obvious, is it simply a matter of cutting the bonnet away with a dremel/ angle grinder? I know it sounds barbaric . . .

Old 09-20-2021, 07:02 AM

Haha, sorry, I was not sure what you meant with 'nearside', I was assuming that would be the driver side and overlooked that fact that you are driving on the other side or the road.
The right hand side looks identical though. I suggest to have a look at the 11th's post second pic of this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...emoval-200681/
My idea was not to cut or remove the grille, but to use tools to work thru it and cut a whole in that black plastic behind That should safe some costs.

Not sure if I understand the bonnet approach - I mean getting a new bonnet and painting it in the correct color is probably more expensive than replacing the grille in case it does not survive. Unless of course you can get hands on a used bonnet with the right color.
Chris

Old 09-20-2021, 07:03 AM

I'd be more inclined to break the grill!
You canremove the bumper complete with that seized under tray by removing just 2 rear screws & the wheelarch screws.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
I'd be more inclined to break the grill!
You canremove the bumper complete with that seized under tray by removing just 2 rear screws & the wheelarch screws.
And how would you remove the two upper bolts holding the bumper, whilst the is hood closed? Well, maybe you can leave these alone and bend the plastic far enough to get access to the catch. Would not put any bets on that approach though.
Chris

Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM

There is a cable that runs directly between the 2 locks, once you can get your hand through the grill, I think you will be able to pull that cable & hopefully release the catch!

Old 09-21-2021, 04:51 AM

I don't think yanking the cable will help John, I suspect it is probably disengaged at the latch. I certainly don't want to trash the grill to find out. New bonnet sourced in the correct paint and ready to go on at a cost of 90GBP, now I just need the courage to fire up the angle grinder!

Old 09-21-2021, 01:05 PM

You've just got to take some pictures of this

Old 09-21-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2010XFS
Having looked at the price of used parts I'm of the mind to cut a hole in the bonnet around the securing bracket. It will save me the problem of removing and rfeplacing the grille (I understand that involves removal of the bumper and undertray, which itself is secured by seized crews/unsecure retaining clips). Am I missing something obvious, is it simply a matter of cutting the bonnet away with a dremel/ angle grinder? I know it sounds barbaric . . .
All The cable had popped out of the retaining arm in the latch. Now I have the bonnet raised I am convinced that regrettably there is no other way to have got the bonnet released. What I would add for anybody following in my sorry footsteps, the bonnet could be salvaged if you can't find a replacement at a reasonable price. You will need a replacement retaining clasp assembly (not sure the right term, its secured to the bonnet with two screws).

You need to remove an oversized section from the outer skin to allow access to the inner skin then cut around the clasp (but within the two securing screws).

I made a template by tracing round the "retaining catch assembly" on the replacement bonnet then carefully hacked out the appropriate section of the upper skin.

this is the resultant hole

in close-up you can see the back side of the "retaining catch assembly". if you can cut within the outer retaining studs you will be able to replace the assembly with a replacement

I needed to open up the hole in the outer skin to get my tool in to cut the latch free

The retaining catch is now free from the bonnet

et voila. I managed to get a replacement bonnet for 90GBP but if you want to repair the damaged bonnet you could. Remove the old, hacked catch assembly (two screws) then fibreglass a patch to the inside of the top edge. source and fit a new catch assembly.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:28 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

OP should probably not watch this, for the sake of his mental health.

But in case someone actually uses the search function, this is worth trying before going with the nuclear option. Nice that in the UK parts can be had so cheap, EU is really the only region where owning these cars past warranty makes any sense whatsoever.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:24 AM

I'm so glad I did watch it, otherwise I might have worried that this solution could have worked on my car :-)

Old 06-06-2022, 02:13 PM
Smile

I got in through the grill with the latch issue as I had a spare grill which came with the car when I bought it. I had to then drill through the plastic inside the grill to access the bottom of the latch. Obviously now had to take the full bumper off to replace the grill. No easy way out of this problem.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:16 PM
Thumbs up

And hey presto it’s off, just need to get it back together now with the new black grill fitted