XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Boot open warning, cant lock car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:25 AM
Egg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Boot open warning, cant lock car.

XF 2009 Portfolio 3ltr diesel
I shut the boot today and then went to drive off when the boot open warning light came on. I then found I could not open the boot by pressing the button on the tail gate. Opened it with the key and shut it again. Still the warning light was on. Drove away no problems but the light stayed on. When I tried to lock the car when leaving it, it would not lock because it thought the boot was still open.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this problem before I call an auto electrician.
Thank
James

Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

More than likely your switch in the latch assembly is hanging up...Spray some electronic contact cleaner (Get it at an auto parts store) in the area where the latch meets and open and close the trunk lid a couple of times, while slamming it shut a few times..

Aside from that, it most likey is a bad switch.

The following 2 users liked this post by DPK:
doctorzeus (03-07-2022), Egg (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Egg

Originally Posted by DPK
More than likely your switch in the latch assembly is hanging up...Spray some electronic contact cleaner (Get it at an auto parts store) in the area where the latch meets and open and close the trunk lid a couple of times, while slamming it shut a few times..

Aside from that, it most likey is a bad switch.

Ill give it a try tomorrow ad let you know how I get on.
James

Old 11-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

If not the switch, then it could be the wiring harness to the boot lid. You can see it when you open the boot. They are prone to failure from all the flexing. Mine broke a wire so I could open the boot with the key but not the button. If that's the issue you can either unwrap the wires, find the broken one and splice it or get a new wiring harness to connect it

Old 11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Egg

I have tried spraying the switch without success and I have checked the wiring all OK.
I now assume it is a faulty switch. l'll get it tested and report back.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

wiring harness needs to be changed. I had the same issue a few months ago.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 AM
Egg
Default boot warning light on, cant lock car

Thank you again for the replies I have received.
It s now fixed.
The problem was in 2 broken wires in the area where the cables flex. Although I had looked in this area they were a little bit further down and missed them.
So I could have had a new wiring harness but the auto electrician soldered the broken wires together and then reinforced the wires that flex. So hopefully it wont happen again.
Thanks again.
James

Old 11-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Good to see that they were able to fix the wires as opposed to changing the entire harness.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:07 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Good job..And this is also good information for the future here...BritCars and Nasa nailed it!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This just started on my car today. I can see that one of the sensor blocks in my trunk latch is a little loose, so will start with trying to get it more secure and check the harness as stated above.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Etip
This just started on my car today. I can see that one of the sensor blocks in my trunk latch is a little loose, so will start with trying to get it more secure and check the harness as stated above.
Turned out to be the ole broken wire in the rubber tube between the boot and body. Easy 10 minute fix.

Thanks to this forum!!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the Boot Open warning again (and can't lock car). I had my boot harness replaced not that long ago. So shop will look at it for free, but I don't want to go over there if it's a 10 minute fix.

Before I break something... Is there a proper way I can get access to the wires without cutting the rubber tube? Can I just pull the tube out of one end? Will it just pop back in after I look for broken wires?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by rlentini
Have the Boot Open warning again (and can't lock car). I had my boot harness replaced not that long ago. So shop will look at it for free, but I don't want to go over there if it's a 10 minute fix.

Before I break something... Is there a proper way I can get access to the wires without cutting the rubber tube? Can I just pull the tube out of one end? Will it just pop back in after I look for broken wires?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the rubber tube just pulls out from the boot and the car. There are tabs that hold it to the wire harness, wrapped in cloth tape - just pull it out of the tape. Then slide the rubber boot into the car (it won't go all the way in). Then you can inspect the wires.

The following users liked this post:
rlentini (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM

Yes It easily slides back onto place and the grommets snap back in.

rlentini (03-18-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found the culprit, but I was not able to pull off a 10-minute fix. Tried soldering it, and I don't know if it was my bad technique, or the freezing cold windy day. But I could not get that solder to stick. I had no flux, so probably my fault. Ordered some electrical connectors instead.

Thanks for the post about pulling the rubber tab out from the tape. I was afraid to pull that out without knowing it was okay. Here is a picture where you can see the tab on the left and the black cloth tape up in the hole for future reference for anyone else doing this.

nasa25 (03-27-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Default Boot open warning, can't lock car - try this.

Originally Posted by BritCars
If not the switch, then it could be the wiring harness to the boot lid. You can see it when you open the boot. They are prone to failure from all the flexing. Mine broke a wire so I could open the boot with the key but not the button. If that's the issue you can either unwrap the wires, find the broken one and splice it or get a new wiring harness to connect it
Had the same problem. Looked on this page and saw the posted replies regarding the wiring loom. On checking I found a broken wire in the loom as discussed. 5 minutes later having reconnected it, all was well. Save yourself some money and bottom this out before going any further.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:56 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

To me as an electrical engineer, that it seems almost impossible for that wire to break in two like that..I have to wonder, was it pinched between the molded wire grommet or was it cut a little while installing it at the factory..I realize opening the trunk often can put wear and tear on the wires..but ALL the wires in that loom should have the same wear and tear, not just the one wire and commonly the latch switch wire...I sense a conspiracy here..

Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Default Thanks

Just joined to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic.
Last night I got home and my XF refused to lock, claiming the boot lid was open. The boot was closed and would not open with either keyfob or release button.
This morning I phoned the local main dealer, but earliest they could fit me in was Friday (3 days away) so searched online and found this thread.
2 of of the wires inside my rubber sleeve were broken and 3 more were about to go. I took a guess which wire end connects to which and used a connection block to try it out, then soldered and heat shrunk the broken wires (and the damaged ones too). Insulation tape around the bundle and replaced the rubber sleeve.
It works fine, but next week I think I will replace this whole bundle of wires, making the joins inside the boot lid and body instead of inside the rubber sleeve.
Thanks.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by XFR Newcastle
Just joined to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic. .....
Welcome to the forums XFR Newcastle,

Good to hear the information in this thread helped solve your problem.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up boot won't open issue

Had problem in past, fixed broken wire by dealer, past problem was with boot unlock on boot, one in car still worked. New problem was as described in this post. Thought I would have a go; found one broken wire, one damaged wire and the repaired wire which broke upon unwrapping bundle, soldered two wires and shrink tubed, wrapped one and put it back together all fixed!! I can see that the problem will appear again as wires are not flexible enough, factory design defect by Jaguar. Oh well.