XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Boot open warning, cant lock car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 03:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same issue boot deadlocked shut !

Hi All XF owners,

[New to the forum]. I have just had the same issue but a little worse, the boot/trunk would not open with the key or the button. I had to resort to taking out the rear seats to get access to the boot space. As this might be a more common problem on these older Jag's now I decided to film my steps to help others. So I'm shamelessly posting my YouTube channel links and the fix (plus parts). Unfortunately I did have to use a ******* as the lock was beyond what I felt comfortable to do myself. I was hit with a hefty labor cost to fit the new lock and cable

Hope this helps others out to feel they could fix it themselves 👍

Part1
Part 2
Part 3

If the video helped please give a Thumbs up, comment and if you really liked sub to the channel

The following 2 users liked this post by WoodyJag:
thistle4celtic1 (03-20-2022), Wirralguy (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I have just had the boot not locking\unlocking issue and glad I found this forum.

I managed to get the seats out and used a length of 15mm copper pipe with a V cutout to operate the seat back lock pull handles (my variation on your hand-crafted push tool @WoodyJag !). A right faff to get there, while trying hold a torch, lift the seat back and manoeuvre the 'pokey' stick all while being on your back trying to look under the seat but thanks for the guide @WoodyJag and the youtube videos, it was a massive help. Just to clarify your instructions for anyone else attempting this, you only need to undo the black 13mm nuts on the bottom and lower sides of the seat backs, not the galvanised 10mm bolts. Getting the ruddy trim clips off to remove the boot trim was almost as bad as the seats especially being on your back in a small space - I resorted to using snips on some of them and I'll buy new ones as they're cheap enough.

In my case you could hear the click when pressing the fob button, boot switch or internal switch but it wouldn't lock or unlock. The key did nothing at all. All I did was unplug and re-plug the lock and it burst into life with a reset sequence. I was actually planning to unscrew the whole lock from the boot as working inside was a bit awkward, not to say claustrophobic, but just tried the plug again and off it went on it's reset. This actually ties in with my original plan of unplugging the battery or relevant fuse - which of course is not possible because the battery is also in the boot! I can't see any issue with the harness, no chafing or bare wires and it tests fine with a meter after removing it and getting it on my bench so it's back in there for now.

So far it's working fine but I'll get a new harness anyway and I'm leaving the seat backs and trim out for a week or 2 in case it fails again in the meantime - I don't want to do that again unless I have to!

All in all, I'm gobsmacked at the sheer ridiculousness of what's required to sort this, surely the key backup option should be just that, the fail safe backup.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Small update, having not heard from Harwoods about my concerns that they might have overcharged, for over 2wks though they had said they would. I sent a message to JLR customer services as I felt this was also a brand issue as well. I’m pleased to say the dealer agreed they had somehow charged me twice by mistake and a refund has been given. My faith has been a little restored.

I’ll leave the videos up as I think the information on the fix is helpful for others.

Also just to be clear it is only the 4 black bolts (13mm) that need to be removed, and take a look at the refitting (3rd video) as that might help to see it more clearly!