XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bosch "010" charge cooler pump upgrade and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Bosch "010" charge cooler pump upgrade and ?'s

hi all, just swapped out the charge cooler pump today to the upgraded Bosch unit per other useful "how to" posts on this forum.
wanted to show couple pics of how i did it in case it saves anyone some time
also wanted to ask if anyone has info on operation and how/when the car sends power to this pump and if it runs 100% / if it can run 100% of the time.
so i raised up front of car and put jack stands under for safety.
i removed my engine under tray a year ago and it's never gone back on..
removed a few fasteners in each wheel well and a couple on the front undertray plus the ones in engine bay to swing front clip off to the side.
i put a rolling cart of appropriate height under the front clip and just rolled it off to the side, not even needing the wire harness for the front parking sensors to be disconnected.
so the "trick" for the pump swap is vice grips. so as not to damage the hoses with the teeth of the vice grips, i cut a piece of 3/4'' plastic pipe in half and used 4 "halves" to both protect the hose and make for a nice tight seal. doing this required no draining and refilling of the charge cooler loop. the amount of coolant lost was simply the volume in the pump plus a few inches of hose and easily absorbed by 3 or 4 paper towels.
wiring completed as per parts list in BW's post and swapped the upper rubber mount to new pump. New pump is larger diameter than old, so need to stretch it over. for lower rubber "mount", didn't like it, even after trimming, as i wanted to use the factory spring hose clamp again. discarded the lower rubber mount, connected hoses, released vice grips and inserted a 3'' long piece of rubber heater hose as a wedge where the lower mount used to be. seems to eliminate any nasty shaking / vibration about same as factory mount setups.
got it back and ready to drive. test drove. seemed like a nice and consistent acceleration in each gear through the hills.
the reason for the upgrade was i felt like sometimes by acceleration felt like the supercharger had been removed and other times like all was normal.. i took it to a track a month ago and on lap 2 i had restricted performance for remainder of the session, which was the first time i'd personally experienced this. i have just over 85k miles and sounds like the pump was probably performing in a lackluster fashion.
now time to find the drag strip again and see if the pulley, tune and intake valve cleanings were worth the effort or not.. !
if anyone can provide details on the operation and timing of this pump's energization, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails Bosch "010" charge cooler pump upgrade and ?'s-resized_20180609_104644.jpeg   Bosch "010" charge cooler pump upgrade and ?'s-resized_20180609_101805.jpeg   Bosch "010" charge cooler pump upgrade and ?'s-resized_20180609_112210.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-23-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Key on the pump runs 100% of the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
Adam J (06-17-2018), Panthro (06-23-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Key on the pump runs 100% of the time.
Does it run at 100% flow while the car is on, or is that variable? I know the pump is always on when the car is, just don't know if the flow rate varies or is constant.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Twiztidunreal
Does it run at 100% flow while the car is on, or is that variable? I know the pump is always on when the car is, just don't know if the flow rate varies or is constant.
KO = 100% on, and 100% flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
Adam J (06-17-2018), Panthro (06-23-2018)
Old 08-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In case someone stumbles across this post like I did...

On my 2015 facelift XF 3.0L AWD the supercharger pump does not operate unless the vehicle is running. With only accessory on, there is no voltage at the fuse and the pump does not run. Start the car and 14.5v at both the fuse and pump plug.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaizero:
Adam J (08-14-2020), Paul Fisher (11-11-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what size are the hoses that go to the pump and the heat exchanger?

Old 08-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam J
hi all, just swapped out the charge cooler pump today to the upgraded Bosch unit per other useful "how to" posts on this forum.
wanted to show couple pics of how i did it in case it saves anyone some time
also wanted to ask if anyone has info on operation and how/when the car sends power to this pump and if it runs 100% / if it can run 100% of the time.
so i raised up front of car and put jack stands under for safety.
i removed my engine under tray a year ago and it's never gone back on..
removed a few fasteners in each wheel well and a couple on the front undertray plus the ones in engine bay to swing front clip off to the side.
i put a rolling cart of appropriate height under the front clip and just rolled it off to the side, not even needing the wire harness for the front parking sensors to be disconnected.
so the "trick" for the pump swap is vice grips. so as not to damage the hoses with the teeth of the vice grips, i cut a piece of 3/4'' plastic pipe in half and used 4 "halves" to both protect the hose and make for a nice tight seal. doing this required no draining and refilling of the charge cooler loop. the amount of coolant lost was simply the volume in the pump plus a few inches of hose and easily absorbed by 3 or 4 paper towels.
wiring completed as per parts list in BW's post and swapped the upper rubber mount to new pump. New pump is larger diameter than old, so need to stretch it over. for lower rubber "mount", didn't like it, even after trimming, as i wanted to use the factory spring hose clamp again. discarded the lower rubber mount, connected hoses, released vice grips and inserted a 3'' long piece of rubber heater hose as a wedge where the lower mount used to be. seems to eliminate any nasty shaking / vibration about same as factory mount setups.
got it back and ready to drive. test drove. seemed like a nice and consistent acceleration in each gear through the hills.
the reason for the upgrade was i felt like sometimes by acceleration felt like the supercharger had been removed and other times like all was normal.. i took it to a track a month ago and on lap 2 i had restricted performance for remainder of the session, which was the first time i'd personally experienced this. i have just over 85k miles and sounds like the pump was probably performing in a lackluster fashion.
now time to find the drag strip again and see if the pulley, tune and intake valve cleanings were worth the effort or not.. !
if anyone can provide details on the operation and timing of this pump's energization, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I know we're bringing this back from the dead slightly.. After you replaced the pump, how did you bleed the intercooler system?

Old 08-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaizero

On my 2015 facelift XF 3.0L AWD the supercharger pump does not operate unless the vehicle is running. With only accessory on, there is no voltage at the fuse and the pump does not run. Start the car and 14.5v at both the fuse and pump plug.
It's It's the same on '08 XKR. Took me a while to figure out that it will not run unless the car is on. I do want to rewire it though so it's on with ignition on, But I suppose battery drain would be severe so maybe it's better just to install a switch

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 08-18-2020, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

I changed my inter cooler and did not bleed it.
Just put the car thru a few heat and cold cycles and it bled itself.

The two cooling systems share a bleed hose to the top radiator tank.
Here is Jaguar description;

Old 11-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 jaguar xfr aux pump

Did you ever figure out what the third wire is for. I am looking to do an upgrade on my aux pump also but the bosch pump is only 2 wire and I am a little bit confused about the third wire?

Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sergt
Did you ever figure out what the third wire is for. I am looking to do an upgrade on my aux pump also but the bosch pump is only 2 wire and I am a little bit confused about the third wire?
Yup. You only need two of the wires +12v and ground. There is a third wire (yellow if I remember correctly) that I didn't use and just wrapped up in the newly made wiring harness. Just take a volt meter and figure out which one is positive and which one is ground then only use those. The pump operates normally with just the two wires. One thing to point out, the Bosch pump flows significantly more fluid than the old pump does so the outlet hose from the pump will feel very solid as the pump is trying to push a lot of fluid through very small hoses at the top. Also, the rubber mount at the bottom of the old pump will not work on the new pump without heavy modification.

I have a working stock 3 wire pump if you're interested. I ordered it after I found out the Bosch pump was only two wires but never used it as I figured out the wiring for the new Bosch pump.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

ANy thoughts of the need for the third wire?

Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
ANy thoughts of the need for the third wire?
The third wire is not needed. After the install I had no set/pending codes and still have none. My gut tells me the wire is some kind of sensing wire that looks for a short in the circuit in case the pump fails. The car doesn't care if the wire is used or not so it clearly doesn't care about an open on the circuit. I just wrapped the wire up in the new loom I made in case I ever decide to go back to the factory style pump. Like an idiot I threw away the original plug so I'd have to source a new one of those if I ever went back.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Are there any pictures of how the wiring was done? I’d like to do this upgrade but have no idea on how to do the wiring.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
Are there any pictures of how the wiring was done? I’d like to do this upgrade but have no idea on how to do the wiring.
No, I didn't take any pictures. There is a post on this forum that has a parts list. You need two special Mercedes Benz wires, and a special plug to fit the pump.

This is the post with all the part numbers - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/

The following users liked this post:
Oxidizer2k (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

No, I didn't take any pictures. There is a post on this forum that has a parts list. You need two special Mercedes Benz wires, and a special plug to fit the pump.

This is the post with all the part numbers - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/
Thank you!