XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bought the new XF ... Was it the right choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought the new XF ... Was it the right choice?

Hi all,

I just bought the 2011 XF Lexury ... and I'm waiting for it to arrive ... I chose the Ultimate Black Colour ...

I'm a bit concerned about two things:

1. Was it the right choise ... I mean I have read many reviews about the reliability of the Jaguar and how it might be a nightmare when maintenance and relativity ... is this true ... I mean I chose it over the Lexus E300 ... because it looked beautiful from the inside out ... unique and with good price.

2. Was my choice of Ultimate Black the right one ... I had to chose between it and the Cashmere, white and Caviar and dark gray colours !!!?

I would appreciate you honest opinion regarding this

Regards,
Ras

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default It's a great car

Like any manufacturer designing and building a car is an ongoing process of improvement and Jaguar is no different. As to color, beauty is in the eye of the beholder: your choice is the right choice. I happen to like ultimate Black because it changes color in different light. The only downside is you need to keep it spotlessly clean or it looks a mess. The Lexus may look similar but the driving experience is anything but. The Lexus is a snoozemobile: you will get out the car and wonder what you've been doing for the last hour - you won't remember a thing. The Jaguar will encourage you to find excuses just to go and drive it, and you will remember how much you enjoyed it.

Sleep easy - you've bought a great car.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you second guess as much as I do. There's no comparing a Jaguar to a Lexus. Hands down, you'll enjoy driving your Jag for years to come. It's more than just the getting back and forth; it's an experience. As for color, black is sleek. Fitting for a big, growling cat!

Enjoy your new car! It sounds wonderful!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

According to JD Power, the Jaguar brand is now right up there with Lexus and Toyota. There are sceptics on this site but they have no real facts to back up their ideas.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Default More hot air

Jagular as usual can't wait to pass gas. Unfortunately Jagular hasn't quite gotten beyond kindergarten math so has difficulties when there are two or more numbers next to each other, so just passes gas as a distraction to avoid having to focus on the facts he can't understand.

Best ignore if you want a reasoned discussion

If you really want the truth about Jaguar reliability follow this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5246

Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets just say I wish I were you!

The XF is a beautiful car, Black is also a great color to get a Jag in because of the chrome and the color in general. The only problem with black is its hard to keep clean, I find my self washing my car at least twice a week, but I do drive around a lot here and there. We are having a NY meet this month Ras, check out the Eastern US section, would love to see it!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats, you did a right choice and I believe XF is more reliable than newer XJ .I seriously considered of buying one last year too . Ultimate Black is what I like or ebony .
You will feel more priviledged in Jag than a Lexus or anything else

Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the 2010 XF Premium in Ultimate Black / Dove interior and love it. It has a hard color to keep clean but I just dust it down in the morning and its ready to go. Give it a good clay bar / wash and polish to make things easier and for a wonderful shine. It does change color which I love. My XF is trouble free with the exception of some minor shake out issues. But it has been on par with my prior Mercedes, BMW and Land Rovers. Only exception would be my 89 Porsche 911 which remains amazingly trouble free.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ultimately you are the only one who can answer this question.

I once bought a new handa accord and on paper it was everything a car should be that i wanted...the reality of it was much different. No issues or problems but sold it shortly after. Conversely I had a VW and despite problems i kept it for 8 years. Cars are subjective beasts and to each his own.

If it makes you smile when you see it and drive it then you made the right choice.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Jagular as usual can't wait to pass gas. Unfortunately Jagular hasn't quite gotten beyond kindergarten math so has difficulties when there are two or more numbers next to each other, so just passes gas as a distraction to avoid having to focus on the facts he can't understand.

Of course a true ignoramus will attack the person rather than dealing with the facts.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Topic closed for 1 day

LE Chef and jagular, I like reading your posts because you're both an XF owner and have a good guidance for potential owners but it's not good for you to insult at each other ,sorry

Last edited by Cadillac; 10-06-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Thank you all for the replies ... It is a relief :-)

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Default Facts and clarity

Let's get this clear. I have pointed to Mike Karesh's survey results as proof that the XF is less reliable than its rivals. If Jagular can point to the JD Power data that shows the XF (not Jaguar overall) is more reliable (and I mean reliable not "Initial Quality") then we have an interesting point of discussion. But as I have pointed out before I don't believe that JD Power data exists. If it does let's see it, after all it would be a significant proof point that Jaguar would want to use in its marketing.

Believing something from personal experience is one thing, but believing empirical data is another.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive it for a week. It's the RIGHT choice!

I'm a little biased but I think you have the right color too!!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are so few participants on that site that the survey results are almost useless from an analysis perspective. Also, if I recall, the JD Power results for Jaguar are not just for initial quality but also overall satisfaction. In any case, given that the XF is probably Jaguars best selling model by a wide margin, it makes no sense that the brand gets a high rating, bur their top selling model gets a poor one.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Default Autoexpress survey

Just came across this survey in the UK:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...e_top_100.html

They've no reason to favour any manufacturer. The XF was 2nd out of the top 100, which must say something about owner satisfaction regardless of how you nit-pick the details.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Default Lack of details

What was the sample size? What is a statistically reliable number for each model? Was the survey self selecting? What is the age range for each car that the owner evaluated? What are the 10 questions they ask? How do they weight the answers and on what basis?

I have every reason to want to believe the XF, or any car for that matter, is reliable, but this kind of survey has about as much weight as a politician's promises.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an XF Premium 6000 miles, black on black. Yeah, its a PITA to keep clean, but what a thrill. The only gripe I have is the Navi layout. When you go to audio and select sat radio, you cannot see the artist, title and catagory of the song. The same applies to ipod. Terrible design.

All other features on the car are "spot on". The best part is that you don't see yourself coming and going on the road (E 350, any Lexus, BMW 5 Series) and people stare. I had a guy almost wreck his car to try to figure out what car I was driving. He thought it was an Aston Martin Rapide (imagine that).

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What was the sample size? What is a statistically reliable number for each model? Was the survey self selecting? What is the age range for each car that the owner evaluated? What are the 10 questions they ask? How do they weight the answers and on what basis?

I have every reason to want to believe the XF, or any car for that matter, is reliable, but this kind of survey has about as much weight as a politician's promises.
At first I thought you were only abnoxious, but now it appears you are here trying to prove your bias. You posted a link to a site that does not meet any objective analytic criteria either and yet you doubt any site that shows a counter point of view.

I guess I'll just stop paying attention to your mean spirited rants.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM

The Delta data is statistically reliable, so no issues there. And there's no bias whatsoever. I just want to know, as I would for any car, how reliable it's going to be. I merely asked questions about the UK survey that would help determine how valid the data was, but you obviously couldn't answer them. If that upsets you, then I'm sorry.

Quick Reply: Bought the new XF ... Was it the right choice?