XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bowers and Wilkins sound is excellent!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Just turned in my 2010 Premium (standard sound system) for a 2011 S/C. with the B&W. The sound is definitely better when playing CD, I-POD,MP3. BUT: The radio and specially AM reception SUCKS!!!
I get terrible reception for the same AM stations I like to listen to during my morning commute. Really very dissapointing.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
I agree, the B&W system sounds great! I set mine on the 3D setting (I don't recall it's exact name), as it seems to provide the fullest, most spacious sound. Beautiful, detailed sound. Crisp highs and detailed midrange. Bass is full without being boomy. I have noticed, however, like others, that sometimes one of the speakers has a bit of a buzz on very low notes, even though I set my tone controls flat (no increase in bass, sub, etc.). Still the best factory system I've heard in any car. Not the best compared to aftermarket, of course, but it will easily hold its own against all but the very best aftermarket systems.

It seems that CDs sound just a bit better, more detailed than iPod music, although it could be the placebo effect (i.e. I assume CDs should sound better because MP3 music is compressed, so naturally my brain tricks itself into thinking CDs sound better). As a bonus, the CD player is a 6 disc changer. I didn't realize that until I actually fed one into it the other day (yes, I'm sure it's in the manual but who reads it, and until now, I've used an iPod so didn't notice).

BTW, as to the guy whose system keeps blowing speakers, I agree most likely there's a defect in the amp. A dirty signal from a bad amp can do that even if the volume isn't turned up much.

If the B&W system is as great as everyone describes it stands to reason that CD’s sound much better than an iPod. I have a fairly upscale home audio system (Anthem A/V processor, Krell amps, MartinLogan speakers) and the audio quality of an MP3 at 328kps is notably worse than CD or a FLAC file. Playing an MP3 at iPod’s default of 128kbs sounds awful. Yet if I were to compare a CD to an MP3 on a basic stereo it would be very hard to hear a difference. The truth is the higher the quality of any audio system the more important the quality of the source becomes. This would also go a long way to explain why AM radio in comparison may sound bad on the B&W as a few folks have said.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jlwine
... I have a fairly upscale home audio system (Anthem A/V processor, Krell amps, MartinLogan speakers) ...
Well, the B&W system isn't anywhere near THAT good! It's just much better to my ears than most factory and mild aftermarket systems. Cars make for a very challenging sound environment, despite being a fix space, as acoustics vary widely depending on number of passengers, and even if the same passenger(s), speed, tire noise, wind noise, if the windows are open, sunroof, etc. What could sound too bass-y sitting still might sound just right to overcome road noise, for example. What amazes me about the B&W system is that it seems to sound good even under these varying conditions. I don't know if it actively alters the sound curves based on some of these variables.

Now, I do know this guy who put a full MacIntosh system in the trunk of his M5, and it not surprisingly rivaled many home systems.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I bit off topic, but has anyone been able to get the vehicle AVC to do anything for the sound system. It didn't seem to work in any of my prior S-Types and it doesn't do anything in my current XF.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard the B&W system. I have the standard audio system and I'm pretty pleased - best sounding sound system I've had in a car so far. I will have to check out the B&W just to compare.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up an '09 XF SC. After coming from the '04 XJR that I had previously I was extremely disappointed with the highly touted B&W system - until I plugged in a USB stick or iPod. The system came alive. I'm not sure why the AM/FM tuner is of such poor quality. My reception seems decent, but the sound quality is very muddy and thin. After hearing it on a good source it's clearly a capable system, I just wish they had used a better tuner.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skrider
I just picked up an '09 XF SC. After coming from the '04 XJR that I had previously I was extremely disappointed with the highly touted B&W system - until I plugged in a USB stick or iPod. The system came alive. I'm not sure why the AM/FM tuner is of such poor quality. My reception seems decent, but the sound quality is very muddy and thin. After hearing it on a good source it's clearly a capable system, I just wish they had used a better tuner.
It's a bandwidth issue. AM and FM have limited bandwidth (not so low lows, and not so high highs), so the system simply accurately reproduces the limitations inherent in that mode of transmission. Same would happen at home if you listen to AM/FM radio on your good stereo. Just listen to CDs, iPod or USB music.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM

I understand the difference between AM/FM and other sources with a wider frequency response, but the tonal quality of the tuner in the XF (at least in mine) is far worse than any other I've heard in recent history. The quality that it's outputting is far less than what even FM is capable of.

I plugged a cheap $15 portable MP3 player that has a built-in tuner into the aux jack and its FM quality far surpasses that of the stock tuner.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too don't have the B&W....but I think the standard one sounds great as far as car audio goes. Anyone know who makes the speakers/amp for it (the standard audio package)?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Default 2011 XJ stereo system

Wow guys - the sound system in the 2011 XJ just BLOWS. it is a B&W and indeed i too have a passenger-side door that rattles even at 50db or so - not nearly loud enough to warrant a rattle. It's funny to hear guys saying how great their systems sound, but they rattle. NO cars with high-end audio systems like this rattle. Man, and the dynamic range of the system is about as wide as Kate Moss.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket stereo/navigation (is there a worse navigation system on any car?)/bluetooth system out there that would integrate well in to the car? Is it crazy to do this as it might void warranties?

thanks - great car, horrible electronics

Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
I believe I recall reading in the manual that there is a maximum size of USB drive that will work - and it was laughably small, so I am sure that the drives you are using are just too big.
I have a 128GB stick from Tiger Direct and it works perfectly. I was also thinking of trying a USB external HD to see if it would communicate with it correctly.

From page 299 of the XF manual:
The system will support devices with a
storage capacity up to 256 GB

The following users liked this post:
Wife's Tech (01-02-2012)