XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake caliper powder-coat

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Brake caliper powder-coat

Ok. So since I have been brought back from the edge of NOS, I have been trying to figure out where I can make a nice, tasteful upgrade. Then I looked at the fresh silver calipers and thought hey.....Powder coat these bitches!!! Can it be a simple job of having them removed, sent to the sprayer, and then reattached...along with a drain and refill of the brake fluid of course. If it's going to involve removing seals and all that then forget it. Might as well buy new freaking calipers....and no, I will NOT paint them with cans of spray paint or any other kind of canned paint. TIA.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,228 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Yep, fairly simple job to remove them and send off to be powder coated, no seals to muck about with.
You just need a 9 mm hex driver for the front caliper pins, and they can be hard to find as no hex driver set I know of (except maybe exorbitantly priced SnapOn) includes a 9 mm.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

sssSSSSWWWeeetttt!!!

Hahahaha....I am so stoked to hear that!

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-09-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

An easy fix might be to get red caliper covers. I've seen them for Jag, at about $200, but I don't know if they would look cheesy or not.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

if you have OEM wheels you are not going to see the calipers very well, not sure what covers are available. for your breaks, ive seen brembo style covers ...its pretty easy to pop off 2 wheels at a time, clean mask and spray them yourself...they come out very nice..and you would never be able to tell the difference from paint or powder coat...if you dont wanna do that , those wheel repair shops can do it too..way less hassel then taking them all off yourself...dont get my wrong i like powder coat , but for this i dont think its worth the effort . here is my bike waiting for powder coat parts to return

Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Right on dude. But when you get those forks and handles bars back, all nice and powder coated, you know they are going to look bitchin'. I also know from experience that the paint method is not that easy as it take many many coats of paint and several coats of clear coat to avoid peeling in a few weeks. After all that work, the paint Most likely will peel of anyways, unless you just etched the hell out of the calipers, which means you most likely spent days on it if you did it correctly. I am willing to take them off, send them in and get them back in a three day turn around and have nicely done calipers that will stand out. I have calevera wheels btw, and they will show through just fine. I don't like the 3-5 spoke look. For me it's not my style. My 19" Caleveras are pretty distinct and have a refined look that fits my XF. Hope you get your bike put back together. I used to ride and I miss riding!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
if you have OEM wheels you are not going to see the calipers very well, not sure what covers are available. for your breaks, ive seen brembo style covers ...its pretty easy to pop off 2 wheels at a time, clean mask and spray them yourself...they come out very nice..and you would never be able to tell the difference from paint or powder coat...if you dont wanna do that , those wheel repair shops can do it too..way less hassel then taking them all off yourself...dont get my wrong i like powder coat , but for this i dont think its worth the effort . here is my bike waiting for powder coat parts to return
I hope you don't have the calipers just hanging like that for days I realize that might have been a "during" photo and you've secured them, but if not, do yourself a favor and do so.

At the very least just get a wire coat hanger or something to take the weight off the lines and fittings. Would be a bad day if brake fluid ended up all over the tire or bike because of the added stress of hanging there.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I hope you don't have the calipers just hanging like that for days I realize that might have been a "during" photo and you've secured them, but if not, do yourself a favor and do so.

At the very least just get a wire coat hanger or something to take the weight off the lines and fittings. Would be a bad day if brake fluid ended up all over the tire or bike because of the added stress of hanging there.
YEA, NO. that was right after i pulled the wheel and forks,, the calipers are resting up in the frame

Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Glad to hear it