XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016 | 06:24 PM
|
Default Brake pad wear

Hello forum!

I just got a message on my dash saying that the brake pads are worn. From reading posts and threads on this forum I've learned that sometimes when this message comes on in the XF it's not actually because of brake pad wear but rather because of a faulty/broken sensor or sensor wire.

I have checked the brake pads as best I can, and the thickness of the material is pretty even on all four wheels. The brake pad material is about the same thickness as the metal backing plate, on all four wheels, at least the parts of the pads I can see without taking the wheels off.

This is the front left:

Brake pad thickness, 2010 XF SC.

Based on this picture, and assuming that all eight brake pads are about equally worn (sliiiightly less wear on the rear pads), would you mechanics (amateur or professional) out there say that it is a faulty sensor or is this about the thickness where the pad sensor is supposed to warn?

I have had a few bad experiences where a shop has basically told me I needed to replace this and that, at great cost, when in reality all that was needed was something a lot less expensive. I simply do not want to get ripped off and have to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on new pads and rotors if all that's needed is a new sensor or a wire repair.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Old 03-20-2016 | 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

The XF pad wear sensors are meant to trigger when there is 4 mm thickness left on the pads, so plenty of safety margin. But they sometimes trigger early. When the warning pops up (assuming it's not a false positive) you can't tell which sensor, front or rear, triggered it, the only way to check is by manual inspection. Also, the wear sensors (front left and rear right) are both attached to the inner pads, so the thickness of the outer pads that you can see gives you only a rough guide, the inner pads could be a lot more worn.
The only way to tell for sure is the remove all the pads and visually inspect them.

The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (03-22-2016)
Old 03-20-2016 | 09:11 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Just add to help where to start looking...Typically the rear pads wear quicker than the fronts do..a design characteristic to bias heavier braking to the rears to help alleviate nose dive when stopping normally..

NuJagLuvr (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016 | 09:54 AM
|

Thank you guys, very useful feedback. Going by the 4 mm trigger I think it's very possible that I'm looking at new pads for all four wheels and not just a faulty sensor like I was hoping. My pads are all very close to 4 mm. From what I can see they're about 5 mm in the front and 6 in the back, but I cannot see the inside pads and uneven wear is not an impossibility.

I just hope my rotors are still good enough for another set of pads, or I'm looking at what, $1000+ for the parts, plus labor? Ugh.

Old 03-21-2016 | 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

You can put it off for a bit if you can stand the warning. You should definitely look to the aftermarket for ceramic pads and an independent mechanic to do the brakes. Will save you a lot of money, not to mention the time not having to get rid of all the dust the stockers make.

NuJagLuvr (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016 | 12:53 PM
|

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
You can put it off for a bit if you can stand the warning. You should definitely look to the aftermarket for ceramic pads and an independent mechanic to do the brakes. Will save you a lot of money, not to mention the time not having to get rid of all the dust the stockers make.
Sound advice, thank you buddy.

I went to a local mechanic that have treated me well in the past (as far as I know at least) and they gave me an price that seems like a good deal.

Unfortunately they don't have the EBC Redstuff pads, or any EBC stuff at all for that matter, but they did have a ceramic alternative from Akebono, ProACT Ultra-Premium which a few Google searches tells me is pretty good stuff too.

He gave me a nice discount and the parts (pads and rotors all around) ended up being $200 less than if I order the EBC parts myself and bring to them. Plus he gave me a lifetime warranty on the Akebono pads so whenever the pads wear out they will replace them for free (save for labor).

NuJagLuvr (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016 | 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Many members swear by the Akebonos. So sounds like a good deal all around.

Old 03-21-2016 | 05:29 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I used the Akebono, ProACT Ultra-Premium pad on my X-type..IMO..Excellent pads.

Old 03-21-2016 | 05:36 PM
|

Awesome. Thanks guys, I feel pretty good about going for the Akebono pads now. Gonna get it all done tomorrow. It's gonna set me back a lot of money but I figure my brakes should be good for a couple years now, no worrying about that for a while.

Old 03-22-2016 | 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Humphrey
Sound advice, thank you buddy.

I went to a local mechanic that have treated me well in the past (as far as I know at least) and they gave me an price that seems like a good deal.

Unfortunately they don't have the EBC Redstuff pads, or any EBC stuff at all for that matter, but they did have a ceramic alternative from Akebono, ProACT Ultra-Premium which a few Google searches tells me is pretty good stuff too.

He gave me a nice discount and the parts (pads and rotors all around) ended up being $200 less than if I order the EBC parts myself and bring to them. Plus he gave me a lifetime warranty on the Akebono pads so whenever the pads wear out they will replace them for free (save for labor).
Just clarify that fine print, replacement usually doesn't cover wear.. Been bit like that myself before in the sell..LOL

Old 03-22-2016 | 01:16 PM
|

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Just clarify that fine print, replacement usually doesn't cover wear.. Been bit like that myself before in the sell..LOL
I asked specifically about just that and he assured me that it includes wear too. For as long as I own this car he assured me that they will change the pads for free. Save for labor.

I don't have it in writing though, so I suppose I might still be screwed over, haha.

Old 03-22-2016 | 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Humphrey
I asked specifically about just that and he assured me that it includes wear too. For as long as I own this car he assured me that they will change the pads for free. Save for labor.

I don't have it in writing though, so I suppose I might still be screwed over, haha.
Humm, sounds like my next purchase..lol Thanks

Old 03-22-2016 | 08:05 PM

Great info...What mechanic are you going to? I just spent $1,100.00 on pads and rotors this morning and would have liked a deal like that! (That's what I get form going to the dealer also though)...

Cheers

Old 03-23-2016 | 07:47 PM
|

I got it through Lamb's, I believe they're a small local chain of tire and automotive shops. I have a lifetime warranty on my Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires too, but unfortunately that does not include wear, haha. The warranty covers stuff like if I hit a nail or get a flat or hit a curb and take a chunk out of the tire wall or something, then they're replace the tire for free (save for labor).

Ended up spending a whopping $1600 today, which includes labor, four new high performance rotors, Akebono's ceramic ProACT Ultra-Premium pads with a lifetime warranty and new brake pad sensors. I also had them do an oil and filter change while it was in there.

He gave me the same price for the bigger XF S/C and XFR rotors as they charge for the smaller rotors on the non supercharged XF's.

I spent a ton of money but I don't think I spent as much as I would have at most other shops.

NuJagLuvr (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016 | 07:56 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Parts and labor charges is one thing, it's another as long as the quality of the workmanship is there too..Money well spent.

Old 03-23-2016 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Humphrey,

I see you said "He gave me the same price for the bigger XF S/C and XFR rotors as they charge for the smaller rotors on the non supercharged XF's."
I wonder, exactly what size rotors and pads do you have / did you get?
I would like Akebono ceramic pads as well, but every time I check their on-line catalogue they show front pads for only the 2010 4.2 NA (EUR 1241) and rears for the 4.2 and 5.0 NA (both EUR 1095). I suspect these are for the front 355 mm and rear 326 mm calipers/rotors, whereas the XFR has 380 mm front and 376 rear calipers/rotors.