XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Which brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which brake pads

Hi What brake pad do I need for my 2008 xf 2.7 as I have just been told by the mot station they will need to replaced soon. Is there a brand I should look for? and what can I expect to pay for a front set. And should I get the backs done at the same time.

Thanks in advance for you help

The following users liked this post:
karamayoko (10-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced my pads and discs with Ferodo and they are excellent and I expect OEM.

I bought them from here: https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Jaguar...%20and%20Drums

Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 PM

I recommend EBC Redstuff if you want performance street brakes with low dust. Very good brakes and your car should like them since they're made in England.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I put EBC Red Stuff brakes on my car about two months ago and I like them. They aren't 100% brake dust free, but they what little dust does accumulate can be quickly and easily wiped away. As far as performance, they are noticeably better than the metallic pads that were on the car before I replaced them, and also the metallic ones left about three pounds of dust on the wheels if I even looked at the brake pedal once.

I will say that during the break-in period they were a little squeaky, but that soon disappeared. However, as it's been getting colder here the squeaks have returned, but I attribute that to the simple fact that ceramic pads just need to be warmed a little work optimally.

Overall, for the price I think they were a good choice.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Did you do the final pad bed in process that EBC recommend for red stuff? After I think it's 300 or so urban miles (or more on the highway) you need to do a series of 60mph to about 20mph hard braking stops. That is supposed to do the final bed in and help avoid squealing
In addition some lube on the back of the pad where it touches the piston can help

Old 12-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Powerstop Evolution Plus Pads - No noise - No dust - Initial bite not as pronounced as OEM semi metallic but they stop just fine and i'm still amazed at how low dust these are compared to the OEM's - Wish I made the switch years ago - would have save a lot of time cleaning wheels - and they seem to be easy on the rotors - Rotors still look new - no lip after ~15k miles. Still plenty of pad life left too .

Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by nsl1
Powerstop Evolution Plus Pads - No noise - No dust - Initial bite not as pronounced as OEM semi metallic but they stop just fine and i'm still amazed at how low dust these are compared to the OEM's - Wish I made the switch years ago - would have save a lot of time cleaning wheels - and they seem to be easy on the rotors - Rotors still look new - no lip after ~15k miles. Still plenty of pad life left too .
+1.
I put them on my old XFS (355 mm front and 326 mm rear) and they were great!
Problem is they don't make them for the 380 mm front or 376 mm rear brakes.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Did you do the final pad bed in process that EBC recommend for red stuff? After I think it's 300 or so urban miles (or more on the highway) you need to do a series of 60mph to about 20mph hard braking stops. That is supposed to do the final bed in and help avoid squealing
In addition some lube on the back of the pad where it touches the piston can help
I haven't done the 60-20 hard brakes yet, might try that. Honestly it's not too bad, it only squeak a little when no brake pressure applied, and only for the first mile or two until the brakes have been used a few times.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Any suggestions on Rotors? I used to buy PowerStop slotted and drilled rotors and Akebono Euro Ceramic pads for my S-Type. Very little dust, though it wears the rotors.

I'm looking for great stopping power and no dust. What are your recommendations? 2012 XF Portfolio.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by harryf
Any suggestions on Rotors? I used to buy PowerStop slotted and drilled rotors and Akebono Euro Ceramic pads for my S-Type. Very little dust, though it wears the rotors.

I'm looking for great stopping power and no dust. What are your recommendations? 2012 XF Portfolio.
Never used them myself but lots of XF owners on this forum are very happy with R1 Concepts rotors. They do plain, slotted, drilled or both (I think!).

The following users liked this post:
harryf (12-16-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

R1 Concepts has a 10% off sale until Christmas. Put in code FF10 They emailed me today

Old 01-01-2018, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

I replaced the pads/rotors on our '09 XF Luxury, a couple of years ago. I went with Beck Arnley replacement rotors, and Power Stop ceramic pads. Good braking performance, and VERY little pad dust.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ATFS13XFR
I put EBC Red Stuff brakes on my car about two months ago and I like them. They aren't 100% brake dust free, but they what little dust does accumulate can be quickly and easily wiped away. As far as performance, they are noticeably better than the metallic pads that were on the car before I replaced them, and also the metallic ones left about three pounds of dust on the wheels if I even looked at the brake pedal once.

I will say that during the break-in period they were a little squeaky, but that soon disappeared. However, as it's been getting colder here the squeaks have returned, but I attribute that to the simple fact that ceramic pads just need to be warmed a little work optimally.

Overall, for the price I think they were a good choice.
They shouldn't squeak if they have lubricant applied properly at install. I've used them on many vehicles and have never had an issue. Did my XF about 9000 miles ago and no squeaks. I use this stuff by Permatex.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by harryf

The main contribution to dust on the wheels is the rotor being worn off. That is why Porsche as stated in the new issue of Car & Driver is putting on a coating for the steel rotors to prevent the dust.

If your Akebono's aren't producing dust, they aren't wearing the rotors.

I have always had greatly reduced wear on steel rotors from true ceramic pads like Akebono and Powerstop compared to OEM semi-metallic pads. And that makes sense. What you said doesn't make sense.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
The main contribution to dust on the wheels is the rotor being worn off. That is why Porsche as stated in the new issue of Car & Driver is putting on a coating for the steel rotors to prevent the dust.

If your Akebono's aren't producing dust, they aren't wearing the rotors.

I have always had greatly reduced wear on steel rotors from true ceramic pads like Akebono and Powerstop compared to OEM semi-metallic pads. And that makes sense. What you said doesn't make sense.

I know this is old, but for future readers, I think you mean pads. The pads are what makes dust. I mean the rotors do wear a smidge, but all that dust is black not silver lmao.