XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake pads and rotor life expectancy and cost to replace

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Curious

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Is sounds like you've got it all figured out when it comes to XF brakes, but the part you are missing is that if you buy the right aftermarket ceramic pads and rotors, then you'll have brakes that are way better than the stock brakes (zero dust, no squealing, and 3x longer lasting) and you will have saved a big over OEM.

That just blows everything you said out of the water.
Replaced rotors, pads and sensors not long ago. I went OEM on all and although they perform flawlessly the dust they create on a white XF is truly ridiculous. Next time I am definitely going to look into the "right aftermarket" ones as suggested here. Somewhere I read that it was the rotors that make most of the dust rather then the pads but I don't know myself. Will the rotors also need to be changed out with another brand to minimize the dust? I have about 2,000 miles on these new brakes.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by SunFlower
Replaced rotors, pads and sensors not long ago. I went OEM on all and although they perform flawlessly the dust they create on a white XF is truly ridiculous. Next time I am definitely going to look into the "right aftermarket" ones as suggested here. Somewhere I read that it was the rotors that make most of the dust rather then the pads but I don't know myself. Will the rotors also need to be changed out with another brand to minimize the dust? I have about 2,000 miles on these new brakes.
No, rotors are pretty much the same no matter what you buy. The semi-metallic brake pads are what is cutting into the rotors and creating the very corrosive, hard to clean, and ugly "brake dust."

It was Porsche that was recently in the press talking about how brake dust comes from the rotors and they were putting a coating on the rotors to prevent that, but the best option for the XF is ceramic brake pads.

"Porsche found that discs are responsible for the majority of brake dust and that pads, commonly thought to be the biggest contributor to dust, only account for 30 percent. The reason is that while pads and rotors both lose thickness over their life cycles, rotors have far greater surface area than pads. All that material has to go somewhere, and on Porsches, that schmutz—scientifically speaking, it’s ferric oxide—ends up dirtying pretty wheels."

Old 01-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
No, rotors are pretty much the same no matter what you buy. The semi-metallic brake pads are what is cutting into the rotors and creating the very corrosive, hard to clean, and ugly "brake dust."

It was Porsche that was recently in the press talking about how brake dust comes from the rotors and they were putting a coating on the rotors to prevent that, but the best option for the XF is ceramic brake pads.

"Porsche found that discs are responsible for the majority of brake dust and that pads, commonly thought to be the biggest contributor to dust, only account for 30 percent. The reason is that while pads and rotors both lose thickness over their life cycles, rotors have far greater surface area than pads. All that material has to go somewhere, and on Porsches, that schmutz—scientifically speaking, it’s ferric oxide—ends up dirtying pretty wheels."
Having owned a white XF yourself I know you know what I am talking about lotusespritse although I know you changed yours out when you had it. I admit I said in an earlier post that I did not mind the dust so much because it caused me to clean it often and I could keep an eye on wear and tear but this is ridiculous. Just a short 10 mile drive and there it is again, all over the back quarter panels, rear bumper and wheels. Lesson learned. I'll deal with this dust for the time being.
Putting a coating on the rotors seems to me to be a fix that will only last a short time until the "coating" wears away but we'll see what they come up with.

It's been a week since I drove it so today I am firing it up. Good day for a ride out in the country. Happy New Year everyone.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Wow once again you insult people in the name of being an expert at everything instead of cordially sharing your knowledge. Perhaps your presence here is part of the pollution you describe?

I understood what he meant, no need for clarification from what I read.

When are you selling your car again? I just might buy it to hurry the process.
Classic!!

Originally Posted by hen555
I pay something like $1500-2000 USD for all 4 brake pads and rotors OEM jaguar including JLR service labour.

A reason to argue to change all 4 pads and rotors at once is to maintain the optimum driving experience.

This is what I believe may be true:
- if you go and change just the single part that is not serviceable for example the front pads only...then eventually your rotor will reach a point of its end of life before your second set of pads are done. Then you are going to be mixing and matching old and new rotors and pads. You are going to notice brake noises which annoy me. You might develop a shimmy as your rotor degrades. And then if you do the cost analysis over the years, you just have paid the same amount over a 3-5 year period except spread out and have experience lower performance.
I disagree. From what I've read on this forum, the XF has a built in, "anti-dive" factor, which has a higher rear brake bias than many other cars. This, combined with the "brake modulated" traction control, causes the rear pads to wear at a significantly higher rate than the fronts. I seem to recall that the rear pads wear 3X quicker than the front pads. I don't doubt that, as it was what I discovered on our '09 XF. Therefore, why would I replace the front pads "just because", every time the rear pads needed replacing? For the record, in order to get away from the "high dusting" of the OE metallic pads, I used the Powerstop brand, ceramic pads, with OE replacement, Beck-Arnley rotors, and am quite happy with them.

The following users liked this post:
hen555 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I might consider after market again , I just cannot risk any brake noise or poor performance. I want better it same performance for cheaper price.

For everyone trying to prevent brake dust what I do is after washing it spray the rim with brake Dust Repellant (armour-all has one I think) then let it sit overnight.

Then you will see a significant improvement but not complete elimination.

By the way I still get brake noise now on my OEM brakes like when it’s freezing cold outside and they are warming up I notice a squeal close to a soft stop. So they not perfect.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Lots of causes of brake squeal and other noises. Often poor or lazy installation without using brake grease on the right components

I have EBC red stuff ceramic pads and R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors on mine. No sound or squeals. No dust. Highly recommended

And $2000 all round for brakes is just criminal! Mine were $500 in parts and took me about 2 hours. I'm sure a pro would be even faster. They are straightforward!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just swapped all 4 rotors and both sets of brakes for less than 250.00! I used Carquest brake pads and rotors and have zero issues.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by garysaunders85
I just swapped all 4 rotors and both sets of brakes for less than 250.00! I used Carquest brake pads and rotors and have zero issues.
Price wise a lot depends on the model you have and hence which size brakes it has.
In general the XF SC / XFR brakes (380 mm front and 376 mm rear) cost twice as much (both rotors and pads) as the "base" North American XF brakes (355 mm front and 326 mm rear).
The pads more so than the rotors, you can get really cheap 355 mm and 326 mm pads but last time I looked there is no such animal as cheap 380 mm or 376 mm pads.
Centric PosiQuiet 380 mm and 376 mm pads are reasonably priced but they are semi-metallic and quite dusty and noisy.