XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake repair and Lurching

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake repair and Lurching

In following up on my break squeal at low speed and lurch. I finally got the worn brake pads warning light 2010 model. So I could not get in to the dealer quick enough so I went to an after market shop (mistake)

Long story... I took it to after market shop to fit EBC RED front and rear. After a very long time at the shop, seriously a very long time. I got the car back and the brakes did not perform as original. Symptoms 1) Mushy until I press deep down on the brake. Not gripping-biting as before. 2) Car did not stop as quick , it took longer and almost glided to a stop unless you really hit the brakes deep. 3) Inconsistent heat off brakes, also slight burning odor.

I was not happy and I was scared driving it so I took the car to the JAG dealer (yes $$$) - who addressed the issue immediately (no wait) given it was a brake emergency issue.

A couple of things I learned from this experience and listening to the JAG Dealer:

1) It is not recommended to "grind down" the rotors - the after market shop had ground to just within spec.

2) It is not recommended that you "turn" the rotors

3) So I had the rotors replaced ($$)

4) The Front EBC pads, while installed correctly, they only engaged three quarters on some of the PADS. Okay so I dropped them and got OEM front pads ($$). Pictures attached (look at the 2nd one closely)

5) Rear EBC PADS Okay no change.

6) After market shop had re-installed some stuff incorrectly (see picture 4)

After Dealer work - car performance is as expected !

You can draw your own conclusions I am just happy to be back on the road with Brakes that I can trust, installed by competent people. BTW I did get my full refund and then some from the after market shop as they knew something was wrong with the install but could not figure it out. Too me , after the fact of course, grinding the rotors down to bare minimum changes the pedal travel, rotating them also can creates uneven surface on the rotors and potentially cause engagements problems with the pads, if not done correctly. And finally saving money on repairs can result in poor quality and safety conditions.

So for the "non DIY experts" reading this post, when fixing Brakes on your Jag do it the right way pay the dealer. If you cannot pay then, you really should not play !

Attached Thumbnails Brake repair and Lurching-img_0709.jpg   Brake repair and Lurching-img_0708.jpg   Brake repair and Lurching-img_0710.jpg   Brake repair and Lurching-img_0711.jpg  

Last edited by bollocsk187; 11-06-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Are you sure those were the correct pads!!??

Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Are you sure those were the correct pads!!??
Good point - I will double check - I ordered them online at PepBoys.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...ake_pads_front

The rear EBC Red are fine less dust.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, it looks like either wrong pads or a mis-alignment due to a bent or missing clip perhaps. I always do my own brake work because I don't trust anyone else to do it 100% correctly. Plus I like to get my hands dirty

Too me , after the fact of course, grinding the rotors down to bare minimum changes the pedal travel,
The whole point of turning rotors is to remove as little rotor material as possible to achieve a smooth, uniform finish. No one intends on turning rotors down to the bare minimum, as there would be no point in it. Different manufacturers have different criteria for their rotors, some can be turned multiple times and still be above min. spec, others are pretty much throw-away. Turned rotors have no a affect on pedal travel, as the difference is made up by the caliper piston and pad. Turning rotors also removes any rotor runout, which causes a pulsating feel while braking.

rotating them also can creates uneven surface on the rotors and potentially cause engagements problems with the pads,
Rotating them is never a recommended practice anywhere. Again, there would be no point in it. The front and rear are 99.9% different sizes as well.

Did your or the dealer bed your new brakes in? I just bled the brakes and replaced all 4 pads on our Armada, and did about 20 runs to get them nice and hot to bed in. Every day we drive it, the stopping power and pedal feel get better and better as the new pads interface with the rotor surface. I imagine yours will continue to improve the more you drive it. At least your got a refund from the other shop.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85