XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake Upgrade to recommend

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade to recommend

Hi,

My current ride is a 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0 petrol NA premium luxury edition using Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres 245/45/R18. I am looking to upgrade my brakes and I would appreciate any recommendations.

I was thinking of just changing my front brakes to AP Racing CP 9040 brake kit or just changing the stock brake pads to EBC yellow stuff. To put things in context, I stay in tropical Singapore where the temperature is usually above 30 degree celsius and very humid. there are heavy rain pour and thunderstorms from time to time and it's pretty much city driving all way round here.

Do I need to change both the front and rear brake pads? what specifications should I look out for which would suit the car without having to do much modifications (eg: size/diameter/thickness)? Can I change the brakes myself or would that be way too complicated? Is it possible to put on the brakes from an XFR to my vehicle or from an XJ?

Regards,
Nick

Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nick,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to X250 forum. The Advice / Feedback forum is for posts about the forum and not for technical questions.

Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Why do you want to change your brakes? Are you having problems with them?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:36 AM

Well, there's two reasons - one, for aesthetics. Not just the look of a BBK but also the stock kit leaves a lot of brake dust on the rims. Especially in rainy Singapore.

Two, I just got involved in an accident and rear ended a motorcyclist. I'm a little less confident of the brakes I now have. From the on board video, I had two seconds to react to the motorcyclist suddenly stopping and while I reacted immediately, I couldn't stop my vehicle in in time. While I know that it could all be psychological and changing changing the brakes may not improve stopping time at all, at least would have the psychological confidence to even drive the car.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Regards,
Nick

Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

The pads are the reason for the dust. You can install ceramic pads on your current setup and they will leave very little dust.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 05-16-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on the ceramics. I switched over a few months ago and my brake dust virtually disappeared. Although the responsiveness of the brakes aren't as good with the ceramics I've noticed. It's a trade off for the elimination of the brake dust I suppose.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Faraway, take a look at: Front Rear Kit Powersport Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads BZ00921 | eBay.

This is probably what you would be interested in. I can't speak for how they will work on an XF, but I installed a similar kit on my X-Type and the braking is better, the dust is next to nothing, and the pads/rotors are lasting for what seems like forever (I'm at 60K miles on the setup and maybe half way through the pads and the rotors are showing very minimal wear). THe only "downside" that I can say is that first thing in the morning, the brakes will give a little "whir" sound. But, after a braking or two, the noise is pretty much gone. You may also notice a little bit of whir during extremely hard braking. But, during something like that, I doubt you will be worrying about the noise.

On a side note, one of these days I am going to make it back to Singapore. I loved it when I was visiting your country back in 2004. I didn't have enough time to see all that I wanted to. One of these days I will be back.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I would research the various pads for the stock brakes. Big brake kits generally will not improve wet weather performance.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree with above re: pads. There is little meaningful gain to be had from a BBK on a road car with brakes that are already of adequate size. Unless is it strictly looks you are after, and you have cash to burn, save your money.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

When my pads need replacing I will be going to ceramic as the brake dust drives me nuts. I small trip after cleaning my wheels and they are covered in gray / black dust already.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Guys, thanks so much for the inputs. I've gotten in contact with AP Racing's technical team and they have kindly provided the brake setup ideal for the car right down to the bolts and to be used. Will be happy to share if anyone requires the info please. Have a great day!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Faraway, would you mind posting to the thread? I'm sure lots of people would be interested (myself included), and no need to keep it a secret.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, I agree that would be very helpful!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM
ctn
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got EBC Yellowstuff installed on my 2008 XF 4.2L a couple of weeks ago (rear & front with stock break discs). Great breaking performance, especially while heated (my driving style is sometimes aggressive, mostly within the city). Still getting some squeak while breaking, but hope this will be gone after pads will adjust itself to the discs.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 AM

Sorry for taking so long. As requested - here's my email correspondence with AP Racing:

Sent: 15 May 2014 10:08
To: RoadTech
Subject: Which Brakes are suitable for my car please?

Welcome to AP Racing

Hi, I am from Singapore and am currently driving a year 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0L petrol premium luxury edition. The curb weight of the car is about 1700kgs. I do not race my car nor do I go on tracks. In fact everything on the car is currently stock edition. The drive is mainly city driving with a lot of stop and go and I do not go beyond travelling at 130 km per hour. I am now interested in changing the front brakes of my vehicle but have been left confused by the salesmen here. As such, I am writing to you for clarification.

I have been recommended the CP7040 and the CP5060. I was told that the CP 5060 is a better brake caliper because it is used for racing and as such if it can stand up to racing requirements, handling the roads on a daily basis is no problem. But I have been told that calipers designed for racing are not meant for road use. Please advice me on the best brakes to get for my car and for my usage. I am looking for a brake set that would give me improved braking power and with it confidence to know that I can bring the car to a complete stop in an emergency braking system. I am told that my salesmen would manufacture the brackets and bells for installation.

Regards, Nicholas

Pete Collen <Pete.Collen@apracing.co.uk>

May 15 (6 days ago)

to me

Dear Sir

Firstly I need to point out that AP Racing UK factory do not list a brake kit for this Jaguar Model. Therefore the brakes are being offered to you are being developed by a 3rd party using AP Racing calipers and possibly discs? So we have no input into this procedure.

If it is a road car then stay with road car brakes and don’t entertain the CP5060.
For the Gross vehicle weight of below 2,200Kg you should use CP9040 caliper with a disc upto Ø363x32mm, but can use 355x32mm if the wheel restricts it?
CP9040 is the latest version of CP7040 and directly replaces it.

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...thick_pad.aspx

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...thick_pad.aspx

CP7040 is only rated to GVW or 1,900Kg

Suitable discs
http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...2-106/107.aspx
http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...2-112/113.aspx

Disc bolt mounting kiCP3845-101K12 (1 off per disc & bell) 14Nm torque
http://www.apracing.com/Info.aspx?In...&ProductID=976

Suitable road pad for CP7040 & CP9040 and either disc type
CP7040D54-APF404
http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...cp7040d54.aspx

Regards

Peter Collen

Attached Thumbnails Brake Upgrade to recommend-ap_racing_logo.gif   Brake Upgrade to recommend-email_header_image.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Our cars already come with 4 piston calipers on the front. You probably won't get any better performance unless you get a 6 or 8 piston caliper, but of course going with something like that will mean you will also have to get bigger rotors and bigger wheels. But the truth in stopping your car does not lie in the brakes but in your tires. Brakes only provide the friction needed to slow your tires down. if you want to stop faster, get stickier tires. The only thing bigger brakes will do is give you a bigger friction surface, which means it takes longer to heat it up and fail. which is only good for racing where you'll be using your brakes a lot. for normal street driving, the only thing they do is look cool but they actually might cause your braking to be worse. Racing brakes operate at temperatures suitable for racing conditions, normal driving rarely meets those conditions, and therefore your brakes might not be hot enough to provide the friction needed to stop your car in an emergency situation.