XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brakes and rotor upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 06:18 PM
SJP
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes and rotor upgrade

I am looking at upgrading the brakes and rotors on my 2015 x250 (3.0l SC). Entirely for looks. I currently have the OEM 355mm fronts and the 326mm rears. I have 20" Kalimnos wheels (8.5" and 45mm offset). I am considering the PB brakes kits XF - Jaguar - Brake Kits (pbbrakes.com) or larger OEMs. The only real issue with the PB Brakes (assuming they fit) is the wear sensor can't be used, but I don't have an issue with that. I have read as many of the threads on the forum as possible and I am fairly certain it is possible to upgrade to the OEM 380mm fronts and the 376mm XFR rears. Does anybody know if there are any issues with things like the ABS system when doing this? Does anybody know if the SVR brakes from the F-Pace are suitable? I'd probably like to get suncut rotors if thats possible.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,436 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Those are pretty cool brakes!
I would just be sure your rims will work OK with them? Since you have 20" you should be good.
Don't think you will have any ABS problems as those big brakes were available on other XF's anyway.
What's different about the SVR brakes? Do you mean the CCF brakes? I would stay away from those unless you really want to spend some money!

Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh dear , wish I hadn't seen this........

Old 03-24-2021, 11:18 PM
SJP

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Those are pretty cool brakes!
I would just be sure your rims will work OK with them? Since you have 20" you should be good.
Don't think you will have any ABS problems as those big brakes were available on other XF's anyway.
What's different about the SVR brakes? Do you mean the CCF brakes? I would stay away from those unless you really want to spend some money!
Just the looks. Yes I can see prices on RimmerBros, but, as I say to my wife, falling in love with my car again is cheaper than buying a new one!! I do like the PB brakes, just a bit nervous about not being OEM. I have only just stopped taking my car to the dealer for service.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:03 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Fisher
Oh dear , wish I hadn't seen this........
LOL...my sentiments exactly.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

SJP have you read this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...brakes-229874/
Even though it's for a XJ, it is quite similar to the XFR.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:47 AM
SJP

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
SJP have you read this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...brakes-229874/
Even though it's for a XJ, it is quite similar to the XFR.
I think they look really good. I wonder if there will be the same issue with the tab that the OP mentions.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Yes the XFR brakes (380 mm front and 376 mm rear) will bolt right up to a 2015 XF 3.0 SC with no problems and no ABS issues.
You can get new slotted and/or drilled rotors fairly cheap from R1 Concepts or check Fleabay, I got replacements for my old XFR from Fleabay some six years ago, they were Hart brand and they are still going strong on the F-Type.
Your problem will be finding calipers and caliper brackets at a reasonable price, new ones are hellishly expensive, but if you keep checking Fleabay etc you can get lucky and find used ones in good nick for not too much money. Also note that the 380 fronts at least are exactly the same across the entire JLR range so you don't need to restrict yourself to just XFR ones, although they are usually the cheapest. If you can get used calipers for cheap then it would also be a good idea to recondition/renew the pistons and seals, you can get kits for not many $.
Last but not least you will also need new dust/splash shields as the bigger rotors will not fit inside the existing splash shields, I have found the best and cheapest place to get new splash shields is BritCar in the UK.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:29 AM
SJP

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yes the XFR brakes (380 mm front and 376 mm rear) will bolt right up to a 2015 XF 3.0 SC with no problems and no ABS issues.
You can get new slotted and/or drilled rotors fairly cheap from R1 Concepts or check Fleabay, I got replacements for my old XFR from Fleabay some six years ago, they were Hart brand and they are still going strong on the F-Type.
Your problem will be finding calipers and caliper brackets at a reasonable price, new ones are hellishly expensive, but if you keep checking Fleabay etc you can get lucky and find used ones in good nick for not too much money. Also note that the 380 fronts at least are exactly the same across the entire JLR range so you don't need to restrict yourself to just XFR ones, although they are usually the cheapest. If you can get used calipers for cheap then it would also be a good idea to recondition/renew the pistons and seals, you can get kits for not many $.
Last but not least you will also need new dust/splash shields as the bigger rotors will not fit inside the existing splash shields, I have found the best and cheapest place to get new splash shields is BritCar in the UK.
Thanks OzXFR. Reckon its better to go the OEMs rather than the PB ones? Part of the reason I want new brakes is I previously had my stock calipers painted red, I just had the rotors and pads changed and they are all now scratched. I also really dislike the tiny rear brakes currently on, so I am thinking I may as well change them rather than touch up/repaint the current ones. I assume OEM red paint would be much more robust. There is also not much one can do to customise an XF, pretty much just the wheels and brakes! I just put an XFR diffuser on the back and the Mina carbon fibre splitters on the front.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP
Thanks OzXFR. Reckon its better to go the OEMs rather than the PB ones? Part of the reason I want new brakes is I previously had my stock calipers painted red, I just had the rotors and pads changed and they are all now scratched. I also really dislike the tiny rear brakes currently on, so I am thinking I may as well change them rather than touch up/repaint the current ones. I assume OEM red paint would be much more robust. There is also not much one can do to customise an XF, pretty much just the wheels and brakes! I just put an XFR diffuser on the back and the Mina carbon fibre splitters on the front.
Those PB brake kits are fairly expensive, you are looking at 2,300 GBP for both ends plus postage so I reckon no change out of $5,000 AU.
You can get XFR OEM or better rotors from Rock Auto for waaaay less, see here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896
Of course that still leaves the expensive calipers and brackets and the splash shields, and labour if you can't/won't DIY.
If you DIY and you get lucky finding used calipers etc for reasonable money you should be able to do the whole thing for well under $2,000 AU, call it $2,500 if you pay for labour.
I have always DIY'ed new rotors, calipers and pads on the XFR and now the F-Type, it's a fairly straightforward job and I'm by no means a wiz with the spanners!

Old 03-26-2021, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

If you've got the cash to spend, go for the PB Brakes kits, and don't look back. They're fantastic. They look killer, they stop better, and they weigh much less than OEM. But be sure to ask them for the template so you can be sure they'll fit behind your wheels. I have aftermarket wheels with a bigger offset, so they fit fine but I'm not convinced they would've fit with my old OEM Mataivas.

I've still got my OEM calipers sitting in the garage. I intended to repaint them and sell them, just been too lazy.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:25 AM
SJP

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
If you've got the cash to spend, go for the PB Brakes kits, and don't look back. They're fantastic. They look killer, they stop better, and they weigh much less than OEM. But be sure to ask them for the template so you can be sure they'll fit behind your wheels. I have aftermarket wheels with a bigger offset, so they fit fine but I'm not convinced they would've fit with my old OEM Mataivas.

I've still got my OEM calipers sitting in the garage. I intended to repaint them and sell them, just been too lazy.
Thanks heaps for this. Did your XJ have stone shields behind the rotors. If so what did you do with the PB brakes?