XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Break Pads - Should I be Pissed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Break Pads - Should I be Pissed?

Bought my '12 XF-SC from dealership used in March. Mileage was at 40800, now 45500. Pad service light came on, took to dealer's service. After 4700 miles I'm told I need new pads, for all 4 breaks. Rotors for 2 are ok, but by the very slimmest of margins. Said I'll need to replace them next time. Also suggested to get my oil changed. All and all, I'm looking at 1k in charges ($150 approx for oil change). Fine, cars need upkeep and used cars aren't going to have new parts.

Been a costumer there 4 yrs, 2nd XF with them. My always helpful service contact talked to sales, expressing my discontent. They offered to cover 1/2 the costs for pads and work. I saved them on providing a Jag rental, as I had an alt car. Not a terrible offer, but I still felt less than satisfied. Asked them for a 1/4 cost, doesn't seem like they're going for that.

What do you think, should I be pissed?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Did they Certify it as a CPO when you bought it?

If so, it should have had new brakes/tires/oil change and more done before delivery.

If not, then take them up on offer, since even buying the parts yourself and installing them yourself would likely be more that the 50% offer.

The following users liked this post:
D-Lif (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 PM

Interesting. Not CPO on my '12. When I asked about the CPO status and why it wasn't, since most of the used cars there were, they pretty much said, well the extended warranty you can purchase will cover you just fine. Smells a little fishy now. I did get extended warranty at a decent price. My previous purchase w/them was an 09' CPO and I never had a break issue that quickly.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agreed. If it wasn't a CPO then it was sold as is. Unless they misled you on pad life, then that's unfortunately not something they did. Given they have offered a discount you should take it. That said the pad light goes off when there is quite a lot of of left - about 4mm on mine. So you prob still have 20pc pad life remaining before you have to change it. So you'll need to decide depending on actual measurement if you want to get the remaining life first
These cars typically seem to need rotors most pad changes...

Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Lif
Bought my '12 XF-SC from dealership used in March. Mileage was at 40800, now 45500. Pad service light came on, took to dealer's service. After 4700 miles I'm told I need new pads, for all 4 breaks. Rotors for 2 are ok, but by the very slimmest of margins. Said I'll need to replace them next time. Also suggested to get my oil changed. All and all, I'm looking at 1k in charges ($150 approx for oil change). Fine, cars need upkeep and used cars aren't going to have new parts.

Been a costumer there 4 yrs, 2nd XF with them. My always helpful service contact talked to sales, expressing my discontent. They offered to cover 1/2 the costs for pads and work. I saved them on providing a Jag rental, as I had an alt car. Not a terrible offer, but I still felt less than satisfied. Asked them for a 1/4 cost, doesn't seem like they're going for that.

What do you think, should I be pissed?
I would be pissed, but its still YOUR responsibility to make sure the vehicle you buy is good, this is why I made the dealership put mine up on the rack and pull the tires, and let me look everywhere and scan the vehicle before I would buy (A really good dealership buy the way)

The night I looked mine over before I bought it.

That said I think you'd have a better shot at getting the oil change thrown in for free, now that's something they REALLY should have done before the sell to you. the car is already going to be in the air for the brakes and oil changes are cheap for the dealer. Good luck!

D-Lif (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Now that's how you do it, nicely done Bigg Will!

I got fresh oil and 4 new pads. About $200 in labor and $350 in parts. They discounted the parts, but not $165 in break labor. I went from pissed to just ok with it all. Suppose I could have done a bit more when shopping, I'll make sure to really take it to them next time before purchasing.

Now I just need to get my car back from them, was having electric and trunk issues. Had to return it to them once after trunk issues persisted. Electric problems went away.

Bigg Will (02-19-2016)