XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?

My 10 Premium has a problem. Winter has finally wound down so I hand washed the car tonight, first time since winter started.

The passenger headlight is loose while washing so I popped the hood and was shocked to see that both left and right lights are broken at the top plastic bracket.

No history of accident damage prior to me owning the car nor have I had any bumps.

Is this a common problem? Any recalls/TSBs out there for this?

Anybody else have this issue?

Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Drivers side

Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine are exactly the same...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Ditto. Just checked. Mine are the same as well. Even the new one that the dealer installed a few months back!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Does anybody know if there is a TSB on this issue?

The passenger side is now aiming in the wrong direction.

Any info or other accounts, will help me discuss this with the dealer and Jaguar.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes, I've had the same issue. Here's how I've... ahem... "remedied" the issue. Keep in mind that it broke right next to where it says, "Made in Czech Republic." The tab had cracked in 2 places, which I unsuccessfully tried to fix with super glue, before it finally broke all the way off after a few months and I had to throw a small lock latch on it that I had laying around the shop. But, it works and I'm pretty damned sure it won't break. I try to put off going to the dealership for as long as possible, because I don't like being without my car, but I'll see if they'll fix it under warranty whenever I venture back in.

Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2013-04-15-09.07.00small.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Same problem for me. Let us know how your dealership resolves it.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

That is ridiculous. I've seen this happen on older cars but the plastic tabs shouldn't be brittle enough to break at this point.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The new head lamp assembly that was just put on by a reputable repair shop, broke at the same place immediately, while the original headlamp assembly is still intact. I made a repair by putting on a very large washer and cinched it down and it has held just fine.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like this may be a problem of the plastic mounting tab not lining up flatly with the mounting surface. I would suggest when fitting a new one to to place a washer thick enough to fill the space between the tab and the mounting surface before attaching the mounting bolt.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Dealer just ordered two new headlight assembly units.

Hope the new ones mount up better.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken brackets

I have a 2012 XF purchased from a main dealer in Cheltenham in September 2012, it was ex-demo but good value. I had reason to take it back for parking sensors which they fixed and upon picking the car up they told me of a broken nearside light. I said I had noticed a lower "setting" but assumed adjustment so asked the dealer to replace it under warranty. The cost was to be £900 as the damage was said to be caused by an accident, I have not had an accident so I politely refused. I have recently received an e-mail from the dealer who has looked into the health care of this car and it states that the vehicle was sold with a clean bill of health or similar wording. I replied that I am also investigating from my point of view and have stated that I had seen in forums it occurring on other vehicles with no accident involvement. Like other comments within this thread I also believe the breakages are caused by stress when the bolt holding the unit is tightened i.e. it does not fit in the same plane as the fixing so has to be bent, not good for rigid plastic being pounded by vibration. I shall keep all up to date as and when things happen.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

My dealer replaced mine but made it clear it would be a one time deal. He said jaguar gives them a hard time about replacing these things given they are so expensive. I am appreciative they did it, but knowing that if it breaks again I am out of luck does not make me particularly happy. Frankly, if it does and isn't fixed this may be my last jaguar. Overreaction? Maybe. But I am extremely busy and expect things to work as they should. If they don't and aren't promptly corrected, the hassle simply isn't worth my time. I refuse to pay out of my pocket for a faulty design.

The following 2 users liked this post by caviarjag:
Jeff Murray (05-16-2020), zangonli (11-11-2015)
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The dealer is not the last word on what will be fixed- Get the Jaguar regional guy in on this. On the other hand, they are perfectly within their rights to install a washer or other non original fix to correct the problem.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Finally got my car into the dealership (Hennessy - Buckhead - Atlanta) today and was notified by my service guy that the manager said that he would not replace the crap headlights under warranty, and that I could choose to talk to him if I felt the need. I didn't have time this afternoon, but I'll call him tomorrow to explain that things that break on their own, due to poor design and nothing else, should definitely be covered under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
zangonli (11-11-2015)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't hold your breath. I was hosed on the warranty coverage for headlamps. They had the audacity to tell me that the lights were damaged by something hitting them even though there was absolutely NO evidence of any damage to the exterior of the car.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CP1
Don't hold your breath. I was hosed on the warranty coverage for headlamps. They had the audacity to tell me that the lights were damaged by something hitting them even though there was absolutely NO evidence of any damage to the exterior of the car.

This seems to be a common response. Imagine hearing this only a few months after you bought your car. Definitely an unpleasant introduction to Jaguar service.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Success on headlight!

I have recently had my headlamp replaced under warranty after much liaison with my garage and Jaguar warranty during September and early November. I spoke to a very understanding lady at Jag warranty who got the ok from the department. I had to take the car for photos and also had to face the inevitable questions alluding to the fact that it could only happen in an accident. I think that they tended to back away when the car was inspected but still said that they had never heard of it before. One of the flags that my garage waved was the fact that it had been picked up on the care check list on one occasion after I purchased the car, but not on the one before. During my waiting time I had the car serviced and it WAS NOT picked up so that really raises a finger to that argument. Keep trying and you will, I hope, succeed. Chappers.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

You know, this is very disappointing to hear about. Having owned an X-Type and now an S-Type I'm very familiar with the failures of Jaguar headlamp units on those models.

Is this problem limited to 2010s? The problems with the X/S-Type extended across all years and were very expensive to fix. Replacing one cost me ~$1400.00 because it was not covered under the Certified warranty.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Fortunately, I don't have an issue with the clips on mine, but it seems like this is a pretty systemic problem. What is the official line from Jaguar on the fact that many people seem to have these breaking without any evidence of an accident. Is Mike still having a lok at the forums and be able to provide some insight?

Last edited by rbobzilla; 12-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?