XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

When I discussed my broken headlight situation with the Hennessy manager, he very politely said that he would "run it up the flag pole" with Jaguar, and see what their response is. I had to pick up my car last Tuesday to drive out of town for Thanksgiving, so I couldn't wait on Jag's response, but I haven't heard anything back from the manager yet. I'll probably call him this afternoon for a status update.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
When I discussed my broken headlight situation with the Hennessy manager, he very politely said that he would "run it up the flag pole" with Jaguar, and see what their response is. I had to pick up my car last Tuesday to drive out of town for Thanksgiving, so I couldn't wait on Jag's response, but I haven't heard anything back from the manager yet. I'll probably call him this afternoon for a status update.
I'm not sure if you ended up getting this fixed under warranty, but my 2010 XF is getting both lamps replaced at Hennessy in Buckhead today. The service advisor mentioned that they had only seen one other instance of broken tabs like this (likely your car), but they had no problem covering it under warranty.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Yep, that was mine. They covered it. I was going to do a big write-up about it, as well bringing to light an issue with my brakes, but never finished it, due to lack of free time.

And, while they did replace my headlights under warranty, thankfully, they didn't reconnect my passenger headlight enclosure correctly, so now my right front turn signal doesn't work, which is accompanied by an erratic in-cabin signal notification (out of rhythm - maybe as a sort of notice to the driver that something is wrong?), and my passenger driving light won't come on without the low-beam also being on. But, I didn't want to risk having the tabs break again with no real reason for me to take them out to check the connection, instead of them, so I'm finally taking my car back to them this Friday. They'll also be addressing a few other issues which they failed to correct to my satisfaction on the last visit - ex., the sunroof always creaked with the shade open, but they were supposed to have fixed it, last time. Instead, they made it so that it creaks with the shade open and closed, now. Ughhh.

Regarding my brakes, and extremely off topic for this thread... when I had my car in for the broken headlight clips, oil change, sunroof squeak, etc., I told them that my brakes would occasionally squeak a bit when they got fairly warm and immediately before I came to a complete stop. Although the wear sensor light hadn't been triggered, they'd already replaced my rear brakes due to normal wear & tear, even before the rear wear sensor was triggered (I believe they only replaced the rear pads - and, since all service is "free" until 50K miles, I didn't think to ask about details). Since my rear brake pads had just been replaced and the squeaking seemed to be coming from the front of the car, I asked them to check the front pads.

When I picked up my car, the service guy told me that they'd gone ahead and replaced the front pads and that they'd also replaced the front caliper clips plates (not sure what they're actually called), as Jaguar has apparently had some squeaking issues related to clip design and redesigned them to alleviate this. I didn't really think much of it until I looked at the new front calipers, at which point I immediately and disappointingly noticed that the new clip plates had a different logo than the original clip plates they'd replaced.

My original clip plates, and the way the car came from the factory, had the multi-colored (red/green/white) traditional Jaguar Performance R logo prominently displayed, and the new clip plates had an all-white Jaguar Performance R on them (see attached stock images for logo differences - the attached pics are not from my car). And, even though I DEFINITELY liked the multi-colored R Performance logo which came with my car a LOT better, I could've probably lived with the all-white R if it weren't for the fact that my rear calipers still had the multi-color R Performance logo on them and, therefore, didn't match at all.

When I asked the service guy about it, he didn't even look at the car, but instead called the technician in to address my concern. The technician said that he looked up the caliper clips by my VIN# in their computer system, and what he put on was what it said was correct. I pointed out the glaring difference between the two logos, and told him that I could begrudgingly live with the all-white R logo on the front calipers, if they would at least swap out the rear caliper logo plates to match (literally just a bolt-on plate to cover the exposed back of the rear pads). At that point, the service guy told me that he'd ask the service manager to go to Jaguar about it (along with my broken headlight clips).

And, they did get the approval to replace the rear clip plates with the newer, less appealing (to me) logo for free, but does that seem at all normal to anyone? To me, it seems completely ridiculous that Jaguar would just change the logo design on one aspect of the car and expect it to be an unnoticed direct replacement for a previous version, even though it in no way matches any of the other logos on the car. I even came up with a few examples of theoretical situations to try to help the service guy understand why I was so frustrated, one in particular regarding Jaguar potentially changing side mirror profile design (and color) to alleviate excessive wind noise (not an issue, as far as a I know), and then only replacing one mirror with the new and different design. But, it felt like all such examples were lost on him.

So, although they did replace my front brake pads and clips under free service/warranty, and they also eventually replaced my rear brake caliper plates to match, I'm ultimately not nearly as happy with the new, single-color design, as I think it looks a LOT cheaper than the original multi-color (red/green/white) traditional Jaguar Performance R logo. But, I guess I have to live with them.

Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-original-front-caliper-logo.jpg   Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-new-front-caliper-logo.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM

Update... the dealership (Hennessy Jaguar Buckhead - Atlanta, GA) replaced both headlight housings under warranty. But, in doing so, they somehow managed to burn out my passenger-side headlight turn signal bulb and my passenger-side headlight LED parking light, which meant that I had to take it back to them again (for the third time in as many months). They fixed the turn signal, but they couldn't replace the LED parking light (as it was an aftermarket part). I was more than a little annoyed, considering the LED light worked fine when I first took my car to them, and they're not cheap. So, I frustratingly ordered a new LED parking light and was going to replace it myself, while of course being EXTREMELY careful with the ridiculously flimsy plastic headlight mounts. But, as soon as I popped my hood and looked at the passenger-side headlight housing, I noticed that one of the mounting clips was already broken. I'm not sure if the tech did it the last time I had it in there (while they were supposed to be fixing the burnt out signal) or if it just broke by itself again. But, the one thing I'm sure of is that they recently replaced both of the headlight housings and one of the clips is already broken, yet nobody but the dealership has touched it since the new housings were installed. I'm about to find a new dealership.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM

Another update... I took my car into the dealer again this morning, and they're ordering yet another headlight housing due to the broken headlight mounting clip on the housing they just replaced.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

At least they are taking care of you. I was told it was a one time deal.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by caviarjag
At least they are taking care of you. I was told it was a one time deal.
Yeah, I think they're probably as sick of seeing me as I am of having to go back over there. I'm not sure what the issue is, but they're also replacing the air intake cowling because of the same type of cracks on the mounting tabs. I told them that I didn't know if it was an overall fitment issue or if the tech might've cracked the mounting clip on the headlight housing when he was replacing the turn signal bulb. I showed them the intake cowling's cracked mounting tabs to suggest that it might actually be a fitment issue, which might be why the headlight housing mounting tabs keep cracking on their own, and told them that the car had never been in an accident, so the cowling had never been removed (to the best of my knowledge). At that point, they decided to just go ahead and replace the intake cowling, too. I'm not sure why they didn't decide to do it when they replaced the original headlight housings, since the intake cowling tabs have been cracked as long as I've owned the car, but I'm definitely OK with it. I just hope that this is the end of it, and that no other plastic tabs ever crack.

Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2014-01-31-07.53.26.jpg   Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2014-01-31-07.53.44.jpg   Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2014-01-31-07.53.54.jpg   Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2014-01-31-07.53.59.jpg   Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?-2014-01-31-07.54.09.jpg  

Last edited by Reaxions; 02-04-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for this post! I purchased my '09 SF-S/C a week ago and after reading your post, I went into the garage to look at my car.
Lo and behold, my passenger light was suffering from the same two brackets being broken and was flopping around loose. I called the local Jaguar dealer and they said it was not covered under the CPO warranty. So, in a strange twist of irony, I called the Infiniti dealer that I purchased the car from last week to let them know. They apologized that it must have been overlooked in their inspection and have told me to just bring it in and they will order the part from Jaguar and replace it.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
Yeah, I think they're probably as sick of seeing me as I am of having to back over there. I'm not sure what the issue is, but they're also replacing the air intake cowling because of the same type of cracks on the mounting tabs. I told them that I didn't know if it was an overall fitment issue or if the tech might've cracked the mounting clip on the headlight housing when he was replacing the turn signal bulb. I showed them the intake cowling's cracked mounting tabs to suggest that it might actually be a fitment issue, which might be why the headlight housing mounting tabs keep cracking on their own, and told them that the car had never been in an accident, so the cowling had never been removed (to the best of my knowledge). At that point, they decided to just go ahead and replace the intake cowling, too. I'm not sure why they didn't decide to do it when they replaced the original headlight housings, since the intake cowling tabs have been cracked as long as I've owned the car, but I'm definitely OK with it. I just hope that this is the end of it, and that no other plastic tabs ever crack.
See my post #10.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Default Xf headlight brackets

I have a 2013 xf 2.2 d sport and am having the same bracket problems many other jaguar owners are describing. Jaguar are currently saying the damage must have been caused by some sort of collision despite any evidence for this and that the headlights are not covered by warranty but may replace as an act of good will. I am also informed that because I don't use main dealers to service my car this could effect the amount of good will!!! Will up date later.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I got the same collision/good will story. Was not a happy first service experience.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:41 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
I got the same collision/good will story. Was not a happy first service experience.

Me, too.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM

I have also just purchased a 2010 XF and low and behold the headlight tabs/lugs are also broken. We need to go back to the days where we could strip the headlight down and change the casing, not possible on these new plastic moulded ones!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 AM
CP1

Originally Posted by IcemanUK
I have also just purchased a 2010 XF and low and behold the headlight tabs/lugs are also broken. We need to go back to the days where we could strip the headlight down and change the casing, not possible on these new plastic moulded ones!

If you buy new ones, be ready to grab your ankles. Those suckers are EXPENSIVE!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CP1
If you buy new ones, be ready to grab your ankles. Those suckers are EXPENSIVE!
Yes, just found out but looking for second hand ones, unfortunately everyone so far has, yes, you guessed it, broken lugs !

Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 AM
Default Headlight brackets

Jaguar offered me 50% of the cost of new head lights, this however would still cost me £500.00 quid.I resolved the problem with a small amount of Araldite glue (worked a treat).
on one side the broken tab was missing so I made a small aluminium tag, slotted it and glued in place, job done cost a few pounds.
I think the problem stems from the front of the car bottoming out on something like a speed ramp or steep drive way. The front bumper rises and as the lights rest on this, pressure is put on the very small tabs. An obvious design problem that other manufacturers have overcome somehow.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Use some large stainless steel washers at the mounting tabs.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:35 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

DITTO…..I did this and it works !

Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM
CP1

I believe the underlying problem is that the bolts that hold the light housing in place come loose and allow the light to move up and down, breaking the tabs.

You need to go into the wheel wells, remove the covers behind the light housing and tighten the bolts to the light housings. When my tabs were broken, the light housing flopped up and down a lot, indicating that the bolt was loose.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM

I hear there are repair kits available to buy for these but does anyone know where I can order them from in the UK ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Quick Reply: Broken headlight mounts-anybody else?