XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Which to buy? Jaguar XF 2013 I4T or V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which to buy? Jaguar XF 2013 I4T or V6

Hi everyone,

My first post here. I was looking for a certified pre-owned Jaguar XF and I came across two that I was interested in. One is the 2013 I4T and the other is the V6 SC. The price difference is $2000 (higher for the SC) and the mileage is more or less the same. I was inclining towards the I4T as it falls within my budget (pushing it though) but read that the engine on this doesn't do the car justice. I'm not concerned about the power here since I'm more into this car for the design (couldn't find a car that actually has a good design). But I'm concerned about the ride quality. Is there a noticeable difference when driving these on highway or the in-roads? I have driven the SC before but not the I4T, so not sure and wanted to see what others had to say about this.

Also, I was quoted an extended warranty of $2700 for 2 yrs or 100k miles, whichever comes earlier. Is this a good deal? I asked the dealer whether this was a Jaguar certified warranty but haven't heard back from him yet (mostly because I sent it like an hour ago). I also plan to visit a Jaguar showroom tomorrow in the town I'm visiting to talk more about this warranty and see what they have to say.

Please let me know your thoughts on these.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Every single penny of that $2k is worth the V6 SC!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

no way of that eco boost ford engine.its also problematics. SC V6 is a bit weak up to 3000RPM (comparing with 4.2 SC) but are nice above. another thing that AWD XF and XJ my friend have with those engines probably limit torque electronicaly on 1st gear no quick launch even with traction off. both cars behave the same..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Forget the extended warranty and put the money into the proper engine for the car. The little 4 banger should NEVER have been put in this car. Noisy (your foot has to be always well in it to just get this heavy car moving), rough, and totally unsuited to any luxury car, not to mention a sports luxury car. You would regret getting the four every day of your ownership, whereas the six is very well matched to the car. Only having to pay 2K more for that is a steal.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Since I work in a dealership setting dont limit yourself to only 2 vehicles. Also if both vehicles are at the limit of your budget I would say you need to find a less expensive vehicle. If it is going to drain you of funds I would hate to see you have a breakdown you cannot afford. Just my 2 cents since I see people make these mistakes everyday.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! The dealer made a mistake and it seems the V6 is sold out. So I guess I have to go with the other option. I'm tempted by other V6s that are available but they are not certified, so still debating about it. And I can go beyond this budget, it's just that I don't want to spend a lot on a car, so I limited myself to a certain number per month. And I will around to see if I can find more certified cars but I'm not sure if I will be able to find any. Might have to go with a pre-used one but would have to get a bumper to bumper warranty for a longer period to go along with it.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 704 Posts

Lots more things to consider. I wouldn't worry too much about certified vs just a regular pre-owned, rather just get one that has all the maintenance records and pay a few hundred dollars for a pre-purchase inspection by an independent Jaguar repair shop or Jaguar dealer. Probably 90% get traded in on another brand of vehicle or at a used car dealer anyway.

If you are concerned about ride quality, an XF out of the box may not be a good choice anyway. These are "sport" sedans. Sadly, every luxury sedan these days is a "sport" sedan, but Jaguar is more sporty than others. I've driven most of the alternatives and if you want an actual "luxury" ride, you're kinda limited to Mercedes with the optional Airmatic systems, Lexus LS, or the Infinity Q70L. If you still want the XF, yes it looks much better than those others and you won't have to memorize your license plate number to ensure you don't try to get in the wrong car at the supermarket, you can purchase a "comfort suspension" kit from a company called Spires in England, so long as you get one with the standard shocks and not the "dynamic adaptive suspension" option. Be sure too for comfort, to test drive one with and without the "Portfolio" package as if you need lumbar support for long trips, you'll want the Portfolio. An even more supportive "sport seat" with deep bolsters (same as in the R model) was available as an option on the Portfolio.

But yes, forget the I4. Budget-wise, I'd steer you toward a 2012 model because it was the first year of the "facelift" and the last year that a 5.0L naturally aspirated engine was available. Just be patient for one with low mileage come available. Theoretically, it should be less expensive in repairs over the long run because its a simpler engine. It lacks the supercharger and all of the associated hardware which not only is expensive to repair when it breaks, but also is "in the way" of lots of other things and costs extra just to remove the supercharger and put it back to get to something that would otherwise be simple like a heater hose. The 5.0L is also 45 more HP than the 3.0L supercharged v6.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Thank you Phil! I appreciate the amount of information you provided. It seems like the I4 is indeed not a popular option among the Jaguars. I was actually looking for cars 2012 onwards because of the facelift. There are plenty of options out there with low miles if I go for one that is not pre-owned. My only issue was the condition of the car. I know the certified would be worked on properly and they carry over the warranty too for two additional years. So at the very least, I know I can fall back on that if something were to happen. And the fact that my old car is almost done for. I can't take it on the highways anymore because it starts vibrating over 50 mph, the struts are done, the sway links are broken etc etc. And winter's coming. Tough decisions seriously.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Given your criteria, I'd second the recommendation for a 2012 XF. This was the last year of the direct injected 5.0 which is a better choice than either of the engines you're considering in the '13 models. '12 has the facelift with full LED treatment and can be had for well under $20K.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

the XF is a bit of a heavy car, you're going to wish you had that V6

Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, what is your budget. Maybe ill sell mine

Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Also remember the early 4 cylinder petrol, before it was recently replaced with the Ingenium petrol, is a Ford EcoBoost engine designed and built by Ford. The V6, whilst it is built by Ford for JLR, is a Jaguar designed engine.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I think you get the point right...the I4T is not going to make it a fun ownership experience for you. GO with the six

Old 10-25-2017, 09:07 PM

Yeah...reading all your posts, I'm leaning towards the V6 now. Only thing keeping me away now is the cost of repairs that might pop up later. I didn't even think about it until Phil mentioned it. The V6 repairs will be more expensive than the I4T because of the supercharger. But I'm willing to go that route believing I have the manufacturer's warranty for I think 2 more years and I'll extend it by two or three more years probably. And I'm torn between white and black as well. I test drove one that was white and it looked great. But I've always loved black on cars, make it look classy. Not that white isn't, but black's on a different level.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Supercharger related repairs will be no more expensive than turbo related repairs.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 PM

Wait, really? This was what Phil said above. So I went based off of that:

" Theoretically, it should be less expensive in repairs over the long run because its a simpler engine. It lacks the supercharger and all of the associated hardware which not only is expensive to repair when it breaks, but also is "in the way" of lots of other things and costs extra just to remove the supercharger and put it back to get to something that would otherwise be simple like a heater hose. The 5.0L is also 45 more HP than the 3.0L supercharged v6. "

Also, I just asked the dealer if I could have a mechanic come to their place and check the car. Have to see what he has to say.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

I thought the 5.0 was not on your list.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

If you like washing your car often...then black is unbeatable as a color choice...especially if you can find ultimate black.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=aimulaidni;1782124]Wait, really? This was what Phil said above. So I went based off of that:

" Theoretically, it should be less expensive in repairs over the long run because its a simpler engine. It lacks the supercharger and all of the associated hardware which not only is expensive to repair when it breaks, but also is "in the way" of lots of other things and costs extra just to remove the supercharger and put it back to get to something that would otherwise be simple like a heater hose. The 5.0L is also 45 more HP than the 3.0L supercharged v6. "

[QUOTE]

Phil is talking about the naturally aspirated 5 liter V-8 which has neither supercharger nor turbocharger. It was replaced by the almost as powerful supercharged V-6.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref

Phil is talking about the naturally aspirated 5 liter V-8 which has neither supercharger nor turbocharger. It was replaced by the almost as powerful supercharged V-6.
Yes, I was. But come to think of it, the I4 should be much cheaper to repair than either. The turbo itself is very expensive if it were to croak prematurely which is unlikely, but other than that, the I4 engine is MUCH smaller and the in-line configuration means that access to everything else in the engine bay that could break would be far easier. Plus it probably shares a lot more parts with more common Fords. If I wanted a smaller car, I would seriously consider the XE with the 4cyl. I test drove one and when I looked under the hood, my first thought was "That would be an absolute pleasure to work on when it gets older by comparison to the v8 in the XF."