XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Which to buy? Jaguar XF 2013 I4T or V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, so it will be less expensive. I actually really debating whether I should get a used one, even if it is CPO. I read a lot of reviews online and people were just pissed. Even though they weren't paying for the repairs, they didn't have access to the car for weeks on end just because the dealer wasn't able to find the right parts. I was planning to sign up for a lemon squad mechanic to go check the car but lemon squad seems to only do exterior checks, that's not what they claim but the most of the negative reviews mentioned that and none of the positive reviews said anything about the lemon squad report giving detailed info about the brakes, the engine, the suspension etc etc. I know, I suck at decision making.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

You should read more closely. He did not say it would be less expensive, and speaking in general it certainly wouldn't be. He praised it for leaving more room in the engine bay for do-it-yourself tinkering, if that is your thing. Forced induction, and especially turbocharging with its extreme heat, add a great deal of stress to engines and all their components compared to a naturally aspirated engine. In addition, an engine that is undersized for the car will have to work much harder to do the same job as an engine that better matches the car. All these factors combine to make the little 4 the most likely to need work, and the 8 the least likely. As to parts, all three engines are built using all Ford (FoMoCo) parts wherever possible and to an equal extent.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a 2011 5.0 normally aspirated, but have driven the V6-SC during the free maintenance periods of the warranty. There's no comparison between the two engines, the 5.0 is vastly superior to the V6-sc. Our car has about 30k mi on it, so older 5.0s with low mileage are available if you are willing to wait for the right vehicle.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM

I'm looking for cars 2012 and after...because of the change in design...and even more towards CPO because of the warranty...and there aren't a lot of them satisfying both criteria in my range...and as I mentioned before...I don't have a car to drive for the winter...I'm scared **** to take out my old car for this and it already started snowing here...I don't want to rush into it but i have been looking for over a month now (not saying its a long time by any means) and haven't had any luck. Thing is I don't know if there would be more of these certified ones coming my way in my range.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

You'll need patience to find the right one. I looked for about 4 months, traveled from Fort Worth to Austin and San Antonio to check out offerings. Most I found last summer even with relatively low mileage were in very poor condition. You'd think people would tend to treat a Jaguar much better than they'd treat a Chevy or Honda, but NO! The first owner is almost always a leasing company and looking at 2012-2013 models, they're pretty much all coming off a second owner at this point. It's very rare to find one at five years old coming off an original owner. I probably should've skipped the one I got and kept looking, but I had a specific year, engine, list of options, extremely low mileage limit and colors I was going to consider. Jaguar never sold very many XFs per year in the U.S. and thus finding a good one at five years old with the options you want is going either be pure luck or lots of leg work.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref
You should read more closely. He did not say it would be less expensive, and speaking in general it certainly wouldn't be. He praised it for leaving more room in the engine bay for do-it-yourself tinkering, if that is your thing. Forced induction, and especially turbocharging with its extreme heat, add a great deal of stress to engines and all their components compared to a naturally aspirated engine. In addition, an engine that is undersized for the car will have to work much harder to do the same job as an engine that better matches the car. All these factors combine to make the little 4 the most likely to need work, and the 8 the least likely. As to parts, all three engines are built using all Ford (FoMoCo) parts wherever possible and to an equal extent.
What I was thinking is that much of a typical repair cost is the book time to remove a series of parts listed as having to be removed for access to the one part that is being replaced. Fewer things "in the way" on a 4-banger to charge time for removing so theoretically, the typical repair bill should be cheaper for the 4cyl vs the 6 or 8. I wasn't thinking in terms of the "propensity" for repairs to be needed. That's sort of another issue as you've explained.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
You'll need patience to find the right one. I looked for about 4 months, traveled from Fort Worth to Austin and San Antonio to check out offerings. Most I found last summer even with relatively low mileage were in very poor condition. You'd think people would tend to treat a Jaguar much better than they'd treat a Chevy or Honda, but NO! The first owner is almost always a leasing company and looking at 2012-2013 models, they're pretty much all coming off a second owner at this point. It's very rare to find one at five years old coming off an original owner. I probably should've skipped the one I got and kept looking, but I had a specific year, engine, list of options, extremely low mileage limit and colors I was going to consider. Jaguar never sold very many XFs per year in the U.S. and thus finding a good one at five years old with the options you want is going either be pure luck or lots of leg work.
Yeah, it does seem like they didn't sell many. And that's part of why I'm thinking I should get the one I'm looking at now. There were actually some models that I found where the car just had one owner, and like you said, they were mostly a leasing company. I booked a lemon squad mechanic to go check out the one that I was looking at. They said they would go look tomorrow, but I've heard they cancel appointments a lot of times based on weather and other things, so it might not end up happening tomorrow. But will have to see what he comes up with after looking at the car. Leasing a car seems to be a good option but justifying the buy off price after the lease ends seems tough.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM

So I got one of the cars checked with a lemon squad mechanic. He said that the underside shows areas of minor surface rust. He also test drive it and said he couldn't find any issue then but the service brake light was on. When I called the dealer to check about this, he told me that the rust was on par with vehicles this old but he said he was getting the brake light fixed, and it will be on them. I'm just worried what else he might be hiding and this wouldn't have come forward if I hadn't got it inspected. I have also been asking him for extended warranty details and the carfax for a week but he never sent them to me. He kept telling he would do it the next day but never came around to doing it. Today I just sent him a text after reading the lemon squad report saying I'm ready to buy the car (to see how he would respond) and he sent me the warranty details right away and called me five times. I was at work, so I couldn't answer but I was like what the hell-you won't provide me the details but the moment I said I'm ready to buy the car, you are after me. Anyone else have issues of this sort with dealers?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Being that I work in a dealer setting, and although I do not sell cars anymore I have seen this many times. I cant speak for him, as I would have given you the carfax before you even took it out on a drive because I want you to have as much info about it as possible. They have already pulled it so its not like it costs them anything more. The brake light issue may have happened while on the lot and nobody noticed it. Things do pop up. Don't be afraid to ask how many days it has been on the lot as that will tell a story of itself. The dealer group I work for only keep vehicles for 45 days and then we either send them to auction or rotate them to another store. If it does not sell within the next 45 days turn, it then goes to auction. Very very few dealers can afford to operate like we do and will keep cars until they sell regardless of how many days they are on the lot. We see many dealers with cars that are over 200 days or more old. I don't know what dealership you are looking at these cars at but just because they have a BIG name of the front doesn't make them good.

Also if you would like to send me the VIN of the one you are looking at I can see all about it and can see how many days that dealer has had it listed, I can see the AutoCheck as well as CarFax for you and will share it with you.