XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Buying this XFR today. Thoughts please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question Buying this XFR today. Thoughts please?

I have somebody buying my 09 XFS today and I spotted this 2010 XFR that just came in off lease at my dealer and want to know if this deal is good or bad?

2010 XFR Ultimate Black Metallic. Interior is Warm Charcoal over soft grain. The only option I can see it has is the adaptive cruise control.
The scary part is that is has 40k miles on it but it was built in 03/09.
The good part is they told me it has the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-Owned warranty for 6yr/100k miles from original date of service. They also said they offer 0.9% but that must be wrong as that deal was over 2 weeks ago? They also say 2.9% is available. They are asking $49,900.
What should I offer, $48K even? Please discuss or give input. They havent listed it yet so I want to grab it before they do if it is a ood deal.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

You must be talking about the one at Madison Jaguar.

Looks like a very clean car. I have been looking at Jags for a while and i think Madison has the best prices and the nicest condition Jaguars.

If it's pre-owned, you should be fine.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

The only fear of buying it is they value on these falls like a ton of bricks! Book value wholesale is only $42 right now. That is a big difference from $49 they are asking.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Don't worry about mileage. These cars are very durable with a few faults that get fixed under warranty most of the time. Particularly the engines and transmissions go to high mileages with no failures. Jaguar acquired an undeserved reputation for engine failures with the V12 and the early 4.0 V8. The V12 was actually built like the proverbial anvil but was a very sophisticated powerplant and needed to be looked after properly. The early electronic ignition module couldn't take the heat so was unreliable until Jaguar upgraded and moved it. The cooling system was marginal for US conditions so overheat failures were too frequent. However, the damage caused was du to owner error not the overheating per se. The V8 had nikasil cylinder surface coatings, as did Porsche Mercedes Benz and BMW. All suffered the same engine failures due, as was discovered much later, to excess sulfur in the gasoline corroding the coating off the cylinder walls resulting in catastrophic engine failure. Jaguar solved their problem by fitting steel liners to all V8 engines, which is still the case. Now fuels are cleaner the nikasil linered engines would work just fine. The ZF automatic is a tried and true design and just does not break.

Last edited by jagular; 04-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09
The only fear of buying it is they value on these falls like a ton of bricks! Book value wholesale is only $42 right now. That is a big difference from $49 they are asking.

I think $47-48 would be a good price. $42 is way too low. You have to remember it's a $80,000 car and has already taken most of the hit.

If you wanted a car that would perform the same and offer similar luxury, you would have to pick up a E 63 AMG (i believe you have one right?) or CLS. I have looked at quite few of them and you would have to pick one up that is about 5-6 years old with higher mileage.

I guess that's just my own analogy, but that's how i look at it.

EDIT: Keep us posted.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

This XFR for sale has some minor scratches, 2 dings, and a lil bit of sandblast on front from highway driving. If they would take $46K I would do it.

I have a E63 but to upgrade to the new body E63 2010 and newer they still fetch $70K and higher so that is out of the question. The 0.9% and $46K would be a great deal since it comes with the 6yr/100k warranty also.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: I went to go see this XFR and I must say the people were great. But the car is in very ppor shape and they wont budge much on the price.What I mean by very poor shape I mean here is what I spotted right away:

1) All 4 wheels were refinished and painted while still on the car so there is silver overspray all over all tires,wheel weights,etc.
2) The driver fender was replaced and has no VIN tag at all. The passenger fender was repainted and the VIN tag is covered in paint.
3) driver door was painted,a piller,rear piller and blended poorly.
4) passenger fender was painted,a pillar, rear 1/4 panel and has much orange peel in it.
5) shock tower bolts, brace bolts, and other misc bolts have been removed and appear almost stripe. I guess this was done at when making repairs from whatever accident happened.
6) Beware of this 1 owner lease return as the CarFax show it is clean and it is clearly not the case.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

What this story shows is the absolute necessity of seeing the car "in the flesh" before purchase. It sounds like the previous owner got a bit careless, and the repairs have not been done very well.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

It appears then that "passing" the 150 point inspection doesn't mean much.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

By the sounds of everything id pass. If the previous owner allowed such shotty work/repairs theres no telling what else he didn't do correctly. Wait, there will be more xfrs coming off lease!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Evidently they're not falling that fast because the dealer isn't budging on price. Anyway, if depreciation is the concern, buying used is the best way to go, as the original owner will have taken most of the early hit. Ideal car is one that has been turned in or traded early after only 2 years and less than 25k miles. They may be hard to find, however, as most leases are longer and that's only half way through the warranty period. A 3 yr./36k+ car should be easier to find and '09s should be coming off lease soon. (Of course, there are also guys like me who buy their cars and own them way long. The M5 that my XFR replaced was an '01 with over 100k miles!) This particular car wasn't the one to buy, however, for the reasons stated above.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I bumped into somebody who has 1 today and they want to trade it in. They told me what they wanted for it and I think it is semi fair.

2010 XFR Metallic BLack with Cappuccino Brown/Black interior.22K miles and putting new pilot sports all around on it monday as the stockers look dry rotted. They say they want $55,250 firm or they are trading it in this week. It looks PERFECT in every way. I cant find anything wrong with it at all. The lady is about 49 years old and keeps it in the garage. I just sold my XF S/C to a friend so I have cash in hand.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM

Well, I bumped into somebody who has 1 today and they want to trade it in. They told me what they wanted for it and I think it is semi fair.

2010 XFR Metallic BLack with Cappuccino Brown/Black interior.22K miles and putting new pilot sports all around on it monday as the stockers look dry rotted. They say they want $55,250 firm or they are trading it in this week. It looks PERFECT in every way. I cant find anything wrong with it at all. The lady is about 49 years old and keeps it in the garage. I just sold my XF S/C to a friend so I have cash in hand.
Sounds like a good find! Post pics and let us know what you think of the car after you get it.

FWIW, here is an '11, with only 7.7k miles, in what looks like Kyanite Blue (the ad says Spectrum Blue, but the blue in the pic is too bright to be that shade), for $67k. http://www.sanfranciscomotorsports.c...ornia/2767095/

Last edited by Need4Spd; 04-16-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

There is a 2011 at Jaguar XFR with under 1k miles at Jaguar Plano (Texas) for $59.9k. Another 2011 in Illinois for $58k or so with under 5k. Others on cars.com or autotrader seem to be well above for 2011's. Not sure why these are the anomolies for 2011's.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: I bought home my new 2010 XF-R. Ultimate black with London Tan/Charcoal interior. The car is a solid 9.8 out of a 10! This lady kept it in her monster garage as I cant even find any acid rain stains in the paint. With 20k miles on it I cant even tell. She bought this car at Cheery Hill Classic Cars ( Jaguar Dealer) here in NJ. The final price was $55k even so I think it was very fair considering the condition of it. The drive home was so nice and so much better than my 09 XF S/C. The seats are way better in the R.
This car is so sweet and mature looking in this color combo I dont even want to floor it ever. Like I mentioned, the tires looked dry rotted or small cracks i nthe side wall area so they did put on brand new Pilot Sports i nthe OEM size for me to seal the deal. Lucky for me I sold the AMG and my XF so the wife wont give me the dirty looks.
Window sticker shows an even $80K and no Optional Equipt. It does have the adaptive cruise but what options do they offer for the XF-R?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Congratulations! Have fun.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats! You know pictures are a must!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you. Soon as I give it that 3 hour long bath for the first time. You know what I mean, the car wash that takes so long the wife gets jealous of. LOL.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM

UPDATE: I bought home my new 2010 XF-R. Ultimate black with London Tan/Charcoal interior. The car is a solid 9.8 out of a 10! This lady kept it in her monster garage as I cant even find any acid rain stains in the paint. With 20k miles on it I cant even tell. She bought this car at Cheery Hill Classic Cars ( Jaguar Dealer) here in NJ. The final price was $55k even so I think it was very fair considering the condition of it. The drive home was so nice and so much better than my 09 XF S/C. The seats are way better in the R.
This car is so sweet and mature looking in this color combo I dont even want to floor it ever. Like I mentioned, the tires looked dry rotted or small cracks i nthe side wall area so they did put on brand new Pilot Sports i nthe OEM size for me to seal the deal. Lucky for me I sold the AMG and my XF so the wife wont give me the dirty looks.
Window sticker shows an even $80K and no Optional Equipt. It does have the adaptive cruise but what options do they offer for the XF-R?
Congrats! There weren't that many options on that car, as nearly everything was standard. Besides adaptive cruise control (car came with regular cruise control as standard; you can tell if it's adaptive because there will be a rectangular black box behind the lower grill - regular cruise doesn't have the black box (it's the radar emitter to detect the car in front of you)), I think the other option was red calipers. I can't think of anything else that was optional. If your state requires a front license plate, there is a different OE license holder for cars with adaptive cruise, as the regular OE plate holder will block/interfere with the black box sensor.

How do you like the Michelins? Are they the Super Sports? Thinking of getting those once my OE Dunlops wear out.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats, happy safe driving

Quick Reply: Buying this XFR today. Thoughts please?