XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Can stop/start be tuned out by dealer or anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Turning on the Dynamic Mode in my XFR-S turns off ECO... and the dynamic mode seems to stay on between the times you use the car; hence a somewhat reproducible way to keep ECO constantly defeated.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Also another reason I don't like ECO is in the hot weather and your AC is on and you come to stop, the engine stops. Now the "AC" is still on. But it doesn't really blow cold anymore. And its smell changes, perhaps related to a humidity change or something. Not an elegant event to have constantly happen in your luxury sedan.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scarbrtj
Turning on the Dynamic Mode in my XFR-S turns off ECO... and the dynamic mode seems to stay on between the times you use the car; hence a somewhat reproducible way to keep ECO constantly defeated.
Good point but unfortunately Dynamic Mode resets to off after 6 hours I believe so every morning it need reengagement as well. It does work if you are out and about using the car on and off all day. It helps for sure keeping ECO at bay for a while.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 6,306 Likes on 5,494 Posts

One more time, please take the politics to the relevant area.
A link here will allow those interested to follow.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been using the stop/start feature and after I got over the initial anxiety of my car shutting off without warning, well I got used to it. I like the concept and Jaguar seems to have thought through the feature pretty well. The engine restarts as I am releasing the brake, which limits latency, and when it's hot and the AC is on the stop/start turns itself off to ensure the AC continues operating. The restart is smooth and sitting at a light without the engine running is actually peaceful.

If I don't want it on I can hit the shortcut button and in Dynamic mode it is automatically disabled. I'm surprised to say this but I actually like this feature.

The following 2 users liked this post by jeff3545:
jagular (09-05-2013), xjrguy (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the same model as jagular (13 XF, V6 SC AWD), but unlike kim-jagular-un, I don't subscribe to the idea that everyone should march to the same tune and accept everything that those who "really know what's good for us" choose to force-feed us. As for the substance of the discussion, I have two things to say:

1. I've been driving my 13 XF for more than 6 months, and I still cannot get used to the ECO feature. How long should I wait for getting used to it?

2. I don't care if this feature is a technical marvel or not, but why do they force it down my throat? So they installed it on my car, probably for some good reason (approval stamp of some agency, saving the Earth, world peace), but why won't they allow me to permanently disable it in an officially approved way, so that I don't have to disconnect the starter battery? Most Germans probably don't like the US any more than the Canadians as represented by jagular, but both BMW and Mercedes allow reprogramming of this feature. I am absolutely sure that there is a backdoor for reprogramming it in Jags as well. I hope someone finds it eventually, same as with this trick for disabling the seat belt chime (I disabled it, even though I wear my seat belt almost always).

And speaking off-topic, what is a technical marvel is Tesla, and if over the next 5 years Elon Musk solves the problem of swapping out batteries instead of charging them, it's going to be my next car, and not because it saves the planet.

Last edited by liber; 09-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
This is getting too funny. Imagine Americans disliking being regulated.

And the gas guzzler tax? CAFE? Etc etc.

America is one of the most over regulated economies in the World.

Just for the record the Jaguar stop start system is also one of the best currently available.

How many brands have you tried? I'm up to four now. Jaguar's is the best I've tried.

They are all easy to live with, just not what we've been used to for forty or more years of driving, for some of us. But, hey, this ZF is the very first automatic transmission I could tolerate and now I prefer it to any manual shift. Even the DCT are better than any manual shift, ask Ferrari who no longer fits a manual or Porsche who shortly will not. BMW only makes a manual shift M5 for the US market as nobody else wants one. Fred Flintstone must still be buying cars in the US.
I genuinely have to thank you for proving the point about being a comedian. I guess we Americans are the lucky ones who actually have a CHOICE of a manual or a dual clutch auto in an M5. But, for you, choice is scaaary and baaad. Because you must have some kind of inability to get beyond your rigidity and inflexibility. But, I'm an American, so I must be wrong, correct? Be careful now with your answer, because you may actually be agreeing with one of those horrible residents to your south, and your brain would then have to self destruct.

I'm glad you've scoured the globe for the best stop start system - given the obvious shortcomings of the Jaguar system, the others must have been truly horrendous. But, even you (yes, even you) must understand you have yourself proven the point about the shortcomings:

• Creeping up to a stop like some senior citizen who can't quite muster the strength to fully stop a vehicle - in order to AVOID the system activating.
  • Citing that ZF has come up with an integrated approach to allow for electric assistance to avoid what? Well, it would seem they see an opportunity to correct and avoid some shortcomings in the current approach. "ZF already has an 8 spd with integral electric motor which will seamlessly integrate with stop start in ways even Americans will accept"
Saying, "even Americans will accept" is truly offensive and exposes a serious contempt that is quite troubling and unquestionably clouds your judgment. But, I do have to thank you for solving the puzzle of why the driver area footwell is removable in all cars sold in the US - so we can use our bare feet to propel our vehicles YABADABA DOOO!

Oh, and I guess you can support the assertion about Fred Flintstone buying the cars in the US (you did say you can support all your assertions) - well, I suppose you'll find a listing in a phonebook somewhere for Fred... Hope he's doing well - you're obviously not. And how it must gall you that I have such a greater command of the written language than you, being a mere American.

Truly moronic and just a continuation of your desire to prove your idiocy.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 09-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Only if you have selected a gear manually. Dynamic mode has no effect on stop start until you paddle shift. At least on my V6.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

IMO..This Start/Stop ECO feature has to be a lot of wear and tear on a starter motor...And one of these days as this system ages..The car may leave you stuck at a stoplight and somebody laying on the horn behind you..good luck with that!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Also another reason I don't like ECO is in the hot weather and your AC is on and you come to stop, the engine stops. Now the "AC" is still on. But it doesn't really blow cold anymore. And its smell changes, perhaps related to a humidity change or something. Not an elegant event to have constantly happen in your luxury sedan.
The engine restarts as needed for AC, heat or battery. You are mistaken about the AC not blowing cold, it continues to do so and the climate control will maintain the selected temperature whether the engine is running or not.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Received 6,306 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
One more time, please take the politics to the relevant area.
A link here will allow those interested to follow.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
rbobzilla (09-07-2013), xjrguy (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

I'm glad I got to read it before you deleted it..it was poetically beautiful.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be fairly easy to add a relay in parallel to the ECO OFF button that is driven by a delayed single pulse generator powered by a line that gets 12 V when the engine starts, also equipped with a hidden toggle switch for enabling/disabling this contraption (*deep breath*). I would do it, but I don't want to mess with the car while it's under warranty...

The following 2 users liked this post by liber:
DPK (09-07-2013), rbobzilla (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by liber
It would be fairly easy to add a relay in parallel to the ECO OFF button that is driven by a delayed single pulse generator powered by a line that gets 12 V when the engine starts, also equipped with a hidden toggle switch for enabling/disabling this contraption (*deep breath*). I would do it, but I don't want to mess with the car while it's under warranty...
LOL - this is absolutely fabulous! You could develop a kit and then members with the stop start system could arrange a group buy with you! One suggestion - when you enable stop start, it should make some kind of kitten-like sound. When you disable, a true Jaguar growl! I get a bit of a royalty, though, if you use that last idea ;-)

Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

If there was enough demand and it was doable, I could see this as another new upcoming product from Steve ( WhiteXKR) aka the JagWrangler

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM

The engine restarts as needed for AC, heat or battery. You are mistaken about the AC not blowing cold, it continues to do so and the climate control will maintain the selected temperature whether the engine is running or not.
i would think the car ac compressor is driven by the engine; not so in jaguars? Anyways, i didn't lie; the ac is noticably less cool with engine off in an XFR-S. And, having the AC on does not disable ECO mode.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Only if you have selected a gear manually. Dynamic mode has no effect on stop start until you paddle shift. At least on my V6.
yeah, again, not lying; dynamic mode turns off ECO in an XFR-S, paddle shifting or no.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

i would think the car ac compressor is driven by the engine; not so in jaguars? Anyways, i didn't lie; the ac is noticably less cool with engine off in an XFR-S. And, having the AC on does not disable ECO mode.
You're right..the A/C will not run and maintain temps if the engine is off..any other means of the A/C compressor running would have to be by an electric drive motor and I don't see that happening...it would very impractical..

Just remember who you are talking with..he is never wrong and is the world famous 'know it all'..his answers are either off topic or half baked to leave it open ended for more argument to prove you're wrong... So either stand your ground or put him on ignore for peace of mind.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM

The stop start system technology is very slick - the problem is that it just doesn't work very smoothly...yet. V2.0 or some subsequent iteration will have the bugs worked out, but until then, it really is a shame that there isn't just a simple way for an owner to say, "thanks, but no thanks." Permanently. There are all kinds of justifications, of course, for why this is the case, but the central one is quite simple - fuel economy/emissions certifications. If Jaguar allowed a one touch "opt out" ability Jaguar wouldn't be able to post the needed numbers.

Functionally, it has all kinds of conditions where the engine gets restarted or doesn't stop at all - including ambient temperature, engine temperature, whether you're in a flat surface, turning the steering wheel, need for AC, etc. when they get the kinks worked out in terms of, primarily, the restart sensation that feels "cheap" and Prius-like, I'm sure that even we "Fred Flintstones" will have no objection...who would have known that we cartoon cave men would be so sensitive, LOL.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (09-08-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
You're right..the A/C will not run and maintain temps if the engine is off..any other means of the A/C compressor running would have to be by an electric drive motor and I don't see that happening...it would very impractical..

Just remember who you are talking with..he is never wrong and is the world famous 'know it all'..his answers are either off topic or half baked to leave it open ended for more argument to prove you're wrong... So either stand your ground or put him on ignore for peace of mind.
Oh. I didn't know. Maybe he'll improve. I give everyone a chance. On the other hand it's a pity to have some one who stultifies himself so routinely "in the club."

Quick Reply: Can stop/start be tuned out by dealer or anyone?