XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Car wont start, and key fob wont eject

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, and key fob wont eject

Okay,

So I have one of the first Jaguar XF SCs to be sold (April purchase) and today we have a new problem (dont get me started). The car wont start, much like the other persons post - just goes dead, no warning, no indicators, etc.

I tried to put the car in convenience mode, and now the fob wont eject- hooray!

Anyone else have any ideas? I will be calling Jaguar in New Jersey once again it seems.

I really like the car, but this stuff is getting out of hand. The new Jaguar, just like the old 1970s Jags- best car you can ever push....

Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Car wont start, and key fob wont eject

And yet another reason to NEVER buy the first Model year, first off the assembly line..hope you can enjoy the car one day..

Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM

We do like the car. This is, in fact, my 4th Jaguar. I currently have an XK8 and the XF. The XF is the first one where we have had what I would call the 70s problems.

This XF is actually a lot of fun, when it works.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
ud

I do wish you luck soon with the XF..I'd love to have one like yours someday..I was just on Ebay looking and there are a couple SC versions..But who knows if they are having the same problems as you..I'll wait yet..

Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

IF YOU HAVE NO POWER AS IN DEAD BATTERY THATS WHY IT WONT ELECT, JUMP THE CAR BUT WITH THE NEGATIVE JUMPER CABLE ON THE SPARE TIRE HOLD DOWN NOT ON THE BATTERY, POS GOES TO BATTERY. YOU PROBOBLY HAVE A FLAT BATTERY. if you do have battery power and it wont eject, then disconnect the battery and hook it back up this should also eject the smart key

Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 AM

Well, the battery is really dead now- when the car is in convenience mode some tail lights and running lights stay on- so, if there isn't enough battery power to eject the key, you will have a dead battery- nice design feature.

So, they're coming to tow it today- we'll see how that goes.

Again, I think the car is really nice, love the engine but we've had a myriad of problems with it. I'm not like the other guy- 'don't buy a first year production' model- I think companies may actually want to test the car they release and make sure it works reasonably well.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: rihock

Again, I think the car is really nice, love the engine but we've had a myriad of problems with it. I'm not like the other guy- 'don't buy a first year production' model- I think companies may actually want to test the car they release and make sure it works reasonably well.

Well that's certainly obvious..I guess you like being the Ginnie pig..and I appreciate you sense of adventure..this way, the bugs will be worked out by the time I go for one.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Not buying the first year is unfortunately no guarantee the later model years will be any better. Sometimes the first cars off a new assembly line are the best that model ever gets due to the careful attention the workers put into new work.

The rule is actually don't buy the first model year if you want to know whether to buy this model or not. The reason the rule looks like it works is because bad cars tend to remain bad so if the car proves to be bad during the initial release then don't buy one.

However, if you are determined to buy this model then it actually makes no difference whether you buy early or buy late.

One of the best cars I ever owned was a first model year SAAB 9000 Turbo. They became steadily worse after the initial year's production!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Update- The car was towed to the dealer last Friday (running so that they could get into neutral). As of today, they have not been able to fix the problem, or tell us what the problem is- only that it's 'network' related, and may have to do with battery drain. I know have a standing conference call with Jaguar corporate every day to give me an update.

If they tell me what happened, and can fix it, I'll post to this site.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: jagular

Not buying the first year is unfortunately no guarantee the later model years will be any better. Sometimes the first cars off a new assembly line are the best that model ever gets due to the careful attention the workers put into new work.
I disagree, That is the exception, not the rule...It has nothing to do with the general assembly of a car, it's the engineering and material defects that are being designed into the car..the assembly persons just put the bad parts and design together and punch out at the end of the day..Jaguar is not Ferrari, where they are hand built and every part detail is examined and hand fitted before final release to production. Jaguar is like any other car maker..they wait on road proven (customer owned) problems to arise before they act on any modification and/or design improvement.

SAAB has always been the worst car on the road IMO, so it stands to reason they never get better..they can't even build a jet that flies right.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

SAAB is as good as BMW and better than some Mercedes models.

It matters not why new models can be troublesome, only that your rule of thumb is a self fulfilling prophesy. No one complains about new models that are built properly.

It is very rare for a totally new model to be launched. The SAAB 9000 is one example. The X Type was based on the already released Mondeo which was a much better car as it turned out, from a build quality perspective.

The XF is hardly "totally new" it uses a 10 year old drive train and suspension that is at least four years old. The floorpan is ten years old. And so on.

Let us see if the XF has been properly engineered and built from day one. So far it is looking good.

The X Type was a disaster by comparison.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: jagular

It matters not why new models can be troublesome, only that your rule of thumb is a self fulfilling prophesy. No one complains about new models that are built properly.
Ya think....

I'm not talking about the nut and bolts of a new car based on tired and proven design..the majority of the new car problem (whatever brand) I'm talking about, are mainly inall the gimmicks and gadgets that they put in to make the electronics state of the art...One bad wiring harness can defame a car's entire persona...Like I said..I'll wait till the next generation of the XF before I buy into any aggravation..

I've had my share of NEW car problems across the spectrum of brands I've owned in the 35+ years of driving...Experience is what I speak from, not supposition.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Update as of today:

We had our daily conference call with Jaguar/Land Rover in New Jersey and they had the ***** to tell me that the fault was due to me leaving an iPod plugged into the audio unit that they installed. Seriously. My comment to them was that if the tolerances are that close on what is continually pulling power that they may want to look into that as a design failure.

The overall result is that they can't reproduce any of the problems that we've had, and the attitude from them is that, and I quote, '...have no obligation to fix anything.'

Talk about blowing a customer relationship- I pointed out to them that I've bought four Jags in the past and with that attitude this will be the last.

So let's break that down:

Me: Loyal buyer of over 200k worth of Jags. I have a problem(s) and the car is faulty. Jaguar has an opportunity- can we keep this guy buying more of our product for the next 40 years, or do we totally **** him off, lose him as a customer, and ensure that he'll write posts like this?

I guess I know the answer.

Thanks Jag, love the car, just not the one I have, and I'm glad you don't feel obligated to do anything to help.

Great work

Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
ud

Sorry to hear of your problems..Time for a phone call and letter writing campaign to corporate Jaguar NA

Good luck

Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Update- we got the car back yesterday. They told us that the audio input device was causing a cascade issue and draining the battery (maybe)- they weren't really sure what the problem was, so reluctantly, we have it in the driveway.

I just found it funny that they told me that leaving an iPod plugged in caused all the issues- so basically it was my fault. Jaguar also told me (Jillian Sabine) that they were under 'no obligation' to fix any of the problems.

Way to keep customers.....

Old 04-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Default Key dock eject.

This happened to me...
When I shut the drivers door it ejected.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Basham
This happened to me...
When I shut the drivers door it ejected.
That's gotta be the greatest jagforums thread mine of all time, 9+ years!