XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Castrol and Jaguar are ripping us off

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
About two weeks ago I spent many hours on the interwebz researching the correct engine oil for my XFR.
Initially everything pointed to only one oil meeting the required Ford M2C925-A spec - Castrol Edge Professional A1 5W-30. Surprise surprise, this is the oil used by Jaguar dealers. But of course it is simply unavailable in Oz other than by going to a Jaguar dealer for an oil change and being charged an exorbitant amount for the privilege.
But after some more research I discovered another 5W-20 oil which meets Ford M2C925-A which is freely available in Oz, and which just happened to be my favourite brand - Penrite. Apparently it's a recent release from Penrite. See here: ENVIRO+ 5W-20 (Full Synthetic)
I then located a local auto parts store which sells it, and promptly bought 2 x 5 litres bottles for AU$60 a bottle, which I suspect is a lot less than the Castrol brew would have cost me had I been able to buy it.
Point is, this Penrite oil should be available in North America, see here: North America Stockist - Penrite Oil
That seems very close to the current Castrol Edge spec. Both say "suitable for use where A/5-B/5 is specified but neither actually has the A/5-B/5 labeling that the original spec castrol slx had. I am going to try to get the Motul Specific 925B as it is the only oil labeled exactly as the original Castril slx was.

Last edited by Nookieman; 03-28-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If you go to Castrol's website and search for Jaguar xf 5.0L, they take you to their Castrol Edge oil as recommended oil.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
If you go to Castrol's website and search for Jaguar xf 5.0L, they take you to their Castrol Edge oil as recommended oil.
Yup, but it does not appear to meet the original spec for the 5.0 s/c in the F-type. I am sure it is "suitable" but it does not have the high performance A/5-B/5 labeling of the original specified Castrol SLX. I honestly don't think it matters if you aren't running the car hard. I kind of am, ripping around between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm so I want the A/5-B/5 spec on the label. Kind of irritated at Jaguar for not selling an oil that meets their own original spec...no doubt it is ok if it is changed more frequently.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
The oil that Jaguar recommended for the 2014 supercharged 5.0 in my F-Type was Castrol SLX not Castrol Edge. The SLX is now discontinued. The difference is the SLX is both A/1-B/1 and A/5-B/5 rated. The A/5-B/5 specification is the high performance spec. The only oil I have found that meets the original A/5-B/5 spec is Motul Specific 925B. I tried to order some of the Motul and it is not distributed in the U.S. So, as of right now, I have not found any source of correct oil, including the dealer. My temporary solution is to use the Castrol Edge and change the oil much more frequently and/or order the Motul Specific 925B on EBay U.K. Apparently it is very difficult to meet the A/5-B/5 spec in a 5-20. Castrol Edge 5-30 meets it and is available at the dealer but I do not want to change viscosity while under warranty.
Hi I only discovered the following yesterday, so dont feel bad. There is a Jag Bulletien that states SLX was Replaced with Edge Professional A1- the A1 being the most important designation. They are serious about the spec because for the 6 and 4 cyl engines they are calling for different specs. I.E the 5.0 is very specific.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

I found the best source for the oil yesterday. The Jag dealer, who only wants $9 per quart. Thats a bargain compared to even ebay.

No this oil is not a scam, even ford absolutely mandates it on one of their cheapest engines, thats happens to have a need for high shear and high temp needs.

If one of you is in a spot let me know, I might be able to help out.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Hi I only discovered the following yesterday, so dont feel bad. There is a Jag Bulletien that states SLX was Replaced with Edge Professional A1- the A1 being the most important designation. They are serious about the spec because for the 6 and 4 cyl engines they are calling for different specs. I.E the 5.0 is very specific.
I realize they replaced the SLX with Edge. I am just bummed that Edge doesn't meet the A/5-B/5 high performance designation. I think what actually happened was the priduct they preferred (SLX) was discontinued and so now they are recommending the next best thing.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I realize they replaced the SLX with Edge. I am just bummed that Edge doesn't meet the A/5-B/5 high performance designation. I think what actually happened was the priduct they preferred (SLX) was discontinued and so now they are recommending the next best thing.
Just the opposite, the oil is identical in specs, but has the added strenght of titanium.

NOTE: Ridiculously, most all oils that Castrol makes is named Edge and Professional. The One for the Jaguar 5.0 is the only one with A1 designation.
I dont think the A5/B5 are specs for the 5l engine.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for that info.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

A couple of thoughts about oil. At least for my car (2010, 5.0 non-SC), the oil must meet Ford specification M2C925-A. While there are apparently several different oils that meet this spec, the only one readily available in my area is Redline (which you can buy from their web site) or Castrol Edge Professional OE, which is only available at Jaguar dealers. I bought some of this recently from my local dealer, and it was only $1/qt or so more than Mobil One (which met this spec at one time, but does not anymore) at Walmart. Redline was even more expensive.

I spoke with the Federal Trade Commission about this particular type of Castrol oil not being available anywhere but Jaguar dealers, and the person I spoke with said that this did not violate any federal laws, that a manufacturer could chose to whom it sells its products.

Finally, while my car doesn't have a drain plug, it seems any oil extractor can be used, such as the one in the link below:

BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport

If this oil extractor weren't so expensive ($90), I might be tempted to change the oil myself, but an independent shop will do it for around $45 in my area, so I'd have to do it twice before I broke even on the cost of the oil extractor.

Last edited by Long Islander; 04-01-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
A couple of thoughts about oil. At least for my car (2010, 5.0 non-SC), the oil must meet Ford specification M2C925-A. While there are apparently several different oils that meet this spec, the only one readily available in my area is Redline (which you can buy from their web site) or Castrol Edge Professional OE, which is only available at Jaguar dealers. I bought some of this recently from my local dealer, and it was only $1/qt or so more than Mobil One (which met this spec at one time, but does not anymore) at Walmart. Redline was even more expensive.

I spoke with the Federal Trade Commission about this particular type of Castrol oil not being available anywhere but Jaguar dealers, and the person I spoke with said that this did not violate any federal laws, that a manufacturer could chose to whom it sells its products.

Finally, while my car doesn't have a drain plug, it seems any oil extractor can be used, such as the one in the link below:

BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport

If this oil extractor weren't so expensive ($90), I might be tempted to change the oil myself, but an independent shop will do it for around $45 in my area, so I'd have to do it twice before I broke even on the cost of the oil extractor.
This has been discussed elsewhere, but your car does have an oil drain / sump plug (as well as the pump extractor tube).
The only hassle is that you have to remove the plastic undertray to get at it, and the undertray is held on with six bolts and two screws.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (07-15-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Castrol oil selector,
Castrol

Castrol)
I pay £28.00 for 4litres, what is the US price for this oil.

http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/uk/...6e7d/jaguar-xf

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Why not use Castrol Edge 0W-30? I have found that oil to be fantastic in other high performance cars.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Castrol oil selector,
Castrol

Castrol)
I pay £28.00 for 4litres, what is the US price for this oil.

Castrol
I tried those links and when you key in Jaguar XFR the result is "refer to dealer" (for both 2009 to 2011 and 2012 onwards). So not a lot of use for finding the recommended oil for the 5.0 S/C!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I tried those links and when you key in Jaguar XFR the result is "refer to dealer" (for both 2009 to 2011 and 2012 onwards). So not a lot of use for finding the recommended oil for the 5.0 S/C!
I believe the dealer will sell you Castrol Edge 5/20 for your s/c 5.0 XFR. This is not the "Titanium" version, at least not if they sell your the one I was sold last week. "Edge" is what superseded the originally specified oil, which was (the now discontinued) Castrol SLX 5/20. A very careful reading of the descriptions of the two oils will reveal the SLX was a higher performance specification.

IMHO the actual best oil in terms of meeting the exact original high performance spec may be the Motul Specific 925B. I tried sourcing that from a local Subaru tuner who sells Motul oils. They tried several sources and found that the Motul Specific 925B is not distributed in the U.S.

Then I tried buying some of the Motul Specific 925B on Amazon U.K. and.could not get it because it could not be shipped to the U.S. So I tried EBay U.K. and again, was told by the two U.K. sellers that it could not be shipped to the U.S. due to EBay site restrictions. one of them invited me to call them directly which sounded somewhat promising.

One EBay vendor on the European continent said it could ship Motul products, including the Motul Specific 925B via DHL to the U.S. for a flat 78 Euro for any order up to 28 liters. Pricey, but doable.

I am still waiting for a reply from Motul itself.

I am not a fan of Castrol nor do I care for the Jag dealer so hopefully a Motul Specific 925B source in the U.S. will present itself before long.

Not interested in hearing why the Castrol Edge is good enough. In my opinion, based in the product labeling, not the ad copy, the Motul is superior. Now if I could just buy some.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

At Wal-Mart for $8! LOL

Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

At Wal-Mart for $8! LOL
Does this WSS-M2C930-A replace the original requirements? M2C925-A

And will it make you glow in the dark at a rave?

If Jaguar require your oil to glow and for it to have the 925-A requirement that oil will not work.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Why not use Castrol Edge 0W-30? I have found that oil to be fantastic in other high performance cars.
Because thats an oil for completely different application. I read in popular mechanics, who still have the article on their site, regarding the radically different approach jaguar was taking with their new 5liter engine in terms of oil flow and tolerances. To pull it off, they had to request a new type of oil, one that can be both, thin and withstand higher temp than what is typically available. Look at the video I posted, look what how well the oil in question performs compared to the ones that BMW uses. Here is the deal, other oils maybe much better, but not when it comes to getting into tight areas and not caking up. Note how bad the BMW oil caked up under high heat, and the Castrol did not. I suspect BMW never lets the oil get that hot by having ample circulation, i.e higher flow oil pump, then again they dont get the power nor fuel economy of a 5L Jag as result. BTW, 0-30w is different than 5-20w on both cold and hot temps.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used difference types of oil to top up. I do does not make a a heck of difference so long as it conforms to the Industry specification - which many brands of oil do.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

At Wal-Mart for $8! LOL
Thats not the same oil. It does not meet the heat and tear strength specifications. I wish it did.

Plus it's bloody expensive if the swanky dealer is selling the real thing for $9.
Not enough compensation for the door dings and the guilt of under-payed labor. Not even if I had a Crown Victoria.

Crown Victoria? I suppose there are enough people who can be lead to believe that it was built to her standards.

Quick Reply: Castrol and Jaguar are ripping us off