XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cell Phone Mount/Power Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cell Phone Mount/Power Options

Right now I usually just put the phone in the front-most cup holder area, which lacks power. It also bothers me to have that door opened just for my phone and have the phone rattle around in there the whole time.

I came across this on the ProClip site, which seems interesting:

Jaguar XF 2009-2016 ProClip Console Mount*-*ProClip USA

But I wonder if the space it takes up would be annoying since it intrudes on the passenger space. It also might be problematic having it all the way across the car and having to look at almost the floor to see it.

The window slope is such that having a window-mounted holder like I was using in the past is not practical. I'm looking for suggestions for mounts that don't ruin anything on the car, look decent and put the phone in a convenient spot (I still use my phone for Nav since google maps seems superior to the car-based nav).

Secondly, is there another place to tap into for power? My old car had some terminals inside the dashboard by the driver's knee. Are my only options for power either running a wire from inside the storage area - which would mean making a hole in that storage cubby to get the wire out - or running a wire to the battery compartment?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I opted for the other mount:
Jaguar XF 2009-2016 ProClip Center Mount - ProClip USA

I really like it. I stuffed the power cord next to the control unit and then through the cup holders to plug into the 12V. I want to permanent run the power cord but this quick way gets it out of the way. This location is perfect to use as NAV.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_C
Right now I usually just put the phone in the front-most cup holder area, which lacks power. It also bothers me to have that door opened just for my phone and have the phone rattle around in there the whole time.

I came across this on the ProClip site, which seems interesting:

Jaguar XF 2009-2016 ProClip Console Mount*-*ProClip USA

But I wonder if the space it takes up would be annoying since it intrudes on the passenger space. It also might be problematic having it all the way across the car and having to look at almost the floor to see it.

The window slope is such that having a window-mounted holder like I was using in the past is not practical. I'm looking for suggestions for mounts that don't ruin anything on the car, look decent and put the phone in a convenient spot (I still use my phone for Nav since google maps seems superior to the car-based nav).

Secondly, is there another place to tap into for power? My old car had some terminals inside the dashboard by the driver's knee. Are my only options for power either running a wire from inside the storage area - which would mean making a hole in that storage cubby to get the wire out - or running a wire to the battery compartment?
Another option:

KUDA custom leather mounts - JAGUAR - XF (since 2009)

Have one for my 2000 XJ8, works fine for both my remote mount control head for my ham radio as well as a mount for my iPhone. With the mount going all the way down to the bottom, it was easy to hide the power wires etc.

Here it is before I put the mounts on, but installed in the car:

YMMV...hope this helps.

Last edited by bdboyle; 03-05-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Isn't it extraordinary all these years after cell phones and SatNavs came into regular use that Jaguar (and other manufacturers) make no provision for mounting these essential accessories?

I've tried the console type mount in a number of Jaguars. OK for me but definitely intrusive for the front seat passenger. The dash mounts either stick in inappropriate places or cover one of the vents. I've generally compromised and used a vent mounted ProClip.

The link Bryan gave to KUDA has an interesting alternative for the XF:

Cell Phone Mount/Power Options-kuda.jpg

Difficult to tell from the small scale photo whether it would blend in or not on top of the dash but it certainly puts the phone or SatNav exactly where it's needed.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 03-05-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Isn't it extraordinary all these years after cell phones and SatNavs came into regular use that Jaguar (and other manufacturers) make no provision for mounting these essential accessories?

I've tried the console type mount in a number of Jaguars. OK for me but definitely intrusive for the front seat passenger. The dash mounts either stick in inappropriate places or cover one of the vents. I've generally compromised and used a vent mounted ProClip.

The link Bryan gave to KUDA has an interesting alternative for the XF:

Attachment 107406

Difficult to tell from the small scale photo whether it would blend in or nort on top of the dash but it certainly puts the phone or SatNav exactly where it's needed.

Graham
I will say that the quality is excellent, and the install took almost no time (once you factor in taking the ski slope out carefully) and the match to the cashmere interior in my car is close enough as makes no never mind. I like the alternative mount for the XF that GGG mentions; looking at the install manual, it's pretty much a no-brainer non-damaging process that can be reversed if need be:

http://www.kudausa.com/manuals/29715...tion_mount.pdf

If I step up to the XF, that would be my choice.

Last edited by bdboyle; 03-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nate96
I opted for the other mount:
Jaguar XF 2009-2016 ProClip Center Mount*-*ProClip USA

I really like it. I stuffed the power cord next to the control unit and then through the cup holders to plug into the 12V. I want to permanent run the power cord but this quick way gets it out of the way. This location is perfect to use as NAV.
This one is interesting. Will it work over the vent on the left side of the steering wheel? Or, is that trim different enough that the center is the only place it fits? Something about this car...I really don't want to mess too much with the interior because I love it so much.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I have the first proclip mount mentioned in the thread that mounts down on the center console. I wouldn't say it intruded tooooo much into the passenger space, though I did have to remind my girlfriend a couple of times to not lean her knees against it

For reference, I have a Galaxy Note 4 in it so it's a reasonably large phone.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Phone holder

I got one like this and love it. Phone fits in it and charges at the same time. Also has a USB charging port. The gooseneck allows you to position it any way you like it. Works great in the power port position in the XF.