XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Central locking not working after battery re-connect

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central locking not working after battery re-connect

After replacing the rear brake shoes I went through the EPB calibration procedure which involved disconnecting the battery. After successfully completing this procedure the central locking system is not functioning by either the key fob or the door handle buttons.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how was the fault rectified

I thought I might have blown a fuse but looking at the fuse diagrams in the owners manual there doesn't seem to be any reference to a fuse for the central locking system. Any guidance on this would be most appreciated.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I might suggest pulling the battery terminal back off. Giving it about a minute or two to reset the computers then power it back up. Sounds like a glitch and hopefully nothing major
At the same time check battery condition - weak battery can cause havoc in a modern car

Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I might suggest pulling the battery terminal back off. Giving it about a minute or two to reset the computers then power it back up. Sounds like a glitch and hopefully nothing major
At the same time check battery condition - weak battery can cause havoc in a modern car
I have already done this with no success.

Battery is in good condition.

I think I might have found which fuse protects the central locking system and will check that soon. Will post outcome when I have.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Checked a couple of fuses that might have been the culprit but both looked good to me so still stumped.

Found 2 other people in forums/internet who seemed to have had their locking go out after replacing rear brake shoes and performing the EPB calibration but there were no follow ups to their post.

Messaged one to ask if they managed to fix it but no response as yet.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Try going to vehicle settings and see if it is correctly set up.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have the answer to this? I have the same exact issue. My car does not lock (other than glovebox, boot and fuel cap), no doors lock at all after removing the battery to do brakes. This is driving me nuts. I used my professional scan tool and no codes appear under keyless entry module or anything. Checked all fuses, everything is good. Any suggestions?

The following users liked this post:
haidar ammouri (02-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to keep this discussion going, I have had the same issue after disconnecting the battery. In my case, it was when the airbags were replaced under the recall. My independent Jaguar service guy can't even get into the system, so I am taking it into a dealer this week to have the system reinitialised.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mr_gimlet
Just to keep this discussion going, I have had the same issue after disconnecting the battery. In my case, it was when the airbags were replaced under the recall. My independent Jaguar service guy can't even get into the system, so I am taking it into a dealer this week to have the system reinitialised.
Does your car's boot fuelcap and glovebox lock but the doors do not? I still havnt figured it out yet, I asked the dealer to set an appointment here in Ontario, Canada and they quoted me starting at $180/hr just for DIAGNOSIS! Which could go more depending on how long it takes them. I havnt gone in yet, please keep me posted if you have any solutions thanks!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Yes, this is exactly what I have. It manifested immediately after the airbag replacement: the boot locks fine, but the doors double honk. I found this thread when I was searching for anyone with similar experiences.

I am bracing myself for the replacement of the gateway module, which is the fuse box in the driver seat well. But I am getting the Jaguar dealer to try a security re-initialisation first and then see what they say.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Default Solved locking issue!!!

So I decided to take my Jaguar to the dealership, told them about the issue I was having and they said it will be $180/hr CAD for DIAGNOSIS! Plus more time if required. I decided to try things on my own instead. Since I disconnected the battery and this issue came up I had a feeling it's something to do with the battery (plus others have had the same issue with disconnecting the battery). I ordered JRL SDD hardware (Monogoose rep) and software for significantly LESS money. I installed the software and plugged the Monogoose cable to the car and laptop. I opened up SDD and to my surprise there was an option to tell the car THE BATTERY WAS REPLECED (in my case removed). This was under "Service Functions". Why does a car need to know when the battery was replaced or removed does not make any sense and seems like a way to grab money from those who do work at their own place.

After resetting the Battery Management System it WORKED!!! The doors now lock perfectly! This should be no surprise to Jaguar and should not take any longer than 15min to do! I have attached images of some of the modules I reset.

If you have this problem after changing the battery or removing it, this will likely be the issue!! Hope this helps.

The following 5 users liked this post by Viyasan7:
2010XFPushBrakeHarderToStart (04-07-2024), Harleycruize (04-23-2023), iamrcf (06-13-2023), Reaxions (11-22-2021), StuG (07-30-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I am thinking of getting that tool. can you please post a picture of the tool and the software???

bfarrell (06-18-2021)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 PM

The software is actually the dealer software, JLR SDD Software. The hardware is a replica Mongoose Pro JRL OBDII USB cable. If you type in "Jaguar SDD" on eBay or Aliexpress you can find them.

The image of the cable can be googled, search "Mongoose Pro Cable". The software/hardware version I got was V154. Hope those helps.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Viyasan7
The software is actually the dealer software, JLR SDD Software. The hardware is a replica Mongoose Pro JRL OBDII USB cable. If you type in "Jaguar SDD" on eBay or Aliexpress you can find them.

The image of the cable can be googled, search "Mongoose Pro Cable". The software/hardware version I got was V154. Hope those helps.
I got mine from Aliexpress for $60.

bfarrell (06-18-2021)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

interested, no problems with software?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when you had this issue, was your dash saying boot open even though the truck was locked?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same issue after disconnecting the battery while replacing the brake pads. I have ordered the mongoose cable and have gotten everything running. I went through the service procedure of “battery replacement” but it still isn’t working. When you mentenioned reseting the Battery Management System, is that what you spoke of, doing the battery replace in service functions or is there something else?

i am using version 138 of the sdd software. Could that make a difference?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jchart
I have the exact same issue after disconnecting the battery while replacing the brake pads. I have ordered the mongoose cable and have gotten everything running. I went through the service procedure of “battery replacement” but it still isn’t working. When you mentenioned reseting the Battery Management System, is that what you spoke of, doing the battery replace in service functions or is there something else?

i am using version 138 of the sdd software. Could that make a difference?
it was a faulty trunk harness for me, it was weird that it happened when i disconnected the battery so i felt like it was associated with that but it wasnt, when you open the boot on the right hand side theres a harness, remove it and pull everything apart and you might find some broken wires. they are all the same color so hopefully they are broken so you can match them up.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:55 PM

I don’t get the boot open warning but I will give it a try?

Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 PM

I wanted to close the loop on this one. In addition to running the battery reset procedure described by viyasan7. I also had to run the immobilizer routine found in the service function menu. Once I went through that process the locks started working again.

Reaxions (01-17-2023)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Default Central locking not working after battery change

Hi all I took my car to halfords to have new battery fitted when done the central locking would not work they connected to different computers tried all sorts I have seen lots about this problem but no clear answer they called a not her garage and while waiting I sat in the car and tried different things I kept my finger on the lock button on drivers door holding it in then the start button started flashing red I then clicked it back to unlock and all the doors were working again from inside and then from the remote out side I just thought I would pass this on it might help I have a jag xf 2013 2.2 d if it does not work try it with ignition on

XF-Jaguar (12-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Central locking not working after battery re-connect