XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Central locking not working after battery re-connect

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Just be aware that there is NO perfect solution to this problem!!
Read and read some more. Yes SDD can "sometimes" reset things so they work BUT then on other cars this does not work. Jaguar wants to replace entire junction boxes and that will work too but hugely expensive.
Also an aftermarket scanner has been posted to work also but again it just depends.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick St Moritz
Hi everyone

I have the solution to this issue. I experienced exactly the same. I disconnected the battery to fit a dash cam, reconnected and boom, central locking doesn't work. Boot works, filler cap locks. I was having to manually lock the doors with the key, then set the alarm. This at least locked and alarmed the car.

The solution has been mentioned before. You need a Mongoose connector and a laptop with the JLR SDD software. Once installed, you run the Battery Replacement AND the Immobiliser module. It goes through a sequence of easy to follow steps, and click! EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN.

I bought my Mongoose cable and software from a UK seller obd_software for £109.99. Now I know you can get these connectors cheaper from China, but I thought at least eBay has the return / refund guarantee if it didn't work.

Installing the software was long winded, but there is a video tutorial on how to do this given by the ebay seller. Once installed, I also ran into a problem with Microsoft Edge not running an Active X component, but the fix for this was to go to Edge settings and set the JLR SDD page it was trying to open as an Internet Explorer page. I will be happy to help anyone with more details of this step if needed.

I tried the battery replacement module first and although it resolved my ECO start which had stopped working from a previous battery sway out (bonus), central locking did not work. I then read on another forum to try the Immobilser module reset. Just tried it and YES!!

The SDD software looks a bit out dated and not the easiest to navigate, but the battery replacement and immobiliser modules are listed under a "recommended" tab.

I will be more than happy to guide anyone on this very, very frustrating bug in the Jaguar system that they have not seemed to take ownership of.

Nick
"Installing the software was long winded, but there is a video tutorial on how to do this given by the ebay seller. Once installed, I also ran into a problem with Microsoft Edge not running an Active X component, but the fix for this was to go to Edge settings and set the JLR SDD page it was trying to open as an Internet Explorer page. I will be happy to help anyone with more details of this step if needed."

Can you please paste the JLR SDD page to add as IE page.
I have spent hours with diffrerent ways with no success.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just be aware that there is NO perfect solution to this problem!!
Read and read some more. Yes SDD can "sometimes" reset things so they work BUT then on other cars this does not work. Jaguar wants to replace entire junction boxes and that will work too but hugely expensive.
Also an aftermarket scanner has been posted to work also but again it just depends.
I've been looking for the post that discusses the aftermarket scanner. I think I'm to the point that this is is my last hope before either a) living with it or b) paying big bucks for the junction boxes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-16-2023, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I am still looking for exactly which after market scanner can do this. The farthest I got was a mention of an Autel device that fixed one guys car. I asked which model because Autel has a large range of products but got no answer.

This could be an alternative to the Jaguar fix?
I have seen Autel MS906Pro-TS and IM608Pro-KPA mentioned but no answer if they were successful or not?
Also heard it was NOT Autel but a AutoLogic scanner? Again no model number mentioned?

Sorry for the lack of information and it's frustrating trying to find it!

Old 05-16-2023, 10:40 AM

I just fixed mine using SDD version 163 on Windows 10 Pro and clone Mongoose Pro bought from LOVE OBD STORE on Ali Express. A friend's son helped me with the initial install (I don't know how but I think there were some missing files that he was able to trace from the Windows EVENT MANAGER). Once all the files were downloaded I had to re-install it multiple times.

Key steps are:
  1. independent operator option and not the dealer option
  2. make sure that Mongoose Pro driver is properly installed and optimized.
  3. And Nick St Moritz's very useful advise to add the Local Host Page to Edge Browser if you get the message "Your browser does not support PAGMCP ActiveX Controls.

Old 06-10-2023, 09:40 AM
Smile Working Resolve

Hi All,

I had this issue where I disconnected the battery and the doors fail to lock / unlock. I have now go this working,
I purchased off ebay, the JLR Diagnostics with the Mongoose Cable, was £100 all in. You get an email to download the software, v164 for me. so I could set it up whilst waiting for the cable to arrive (arrived 2 days)
I installed on Windows 10, there is an issue with Microsoft Edge not running Active X so, have chrome installed, then go to the chrome web store and add the IE Tab app (this runs chrome in Internet Explorer mode.
When you launch the JLR software before running the VIN Find, copy the URL from Edge and paste it in Chrome, you can carry on, when you get the error for active X, you run the IE Tab app, it reconnects and you resume the session.
run service functions, it will do a full scan, then click the recommendations tab, run first the immobilization, then the battery reconnect. Doors all work again after.

Cheers

Old 06-13-2023, 07:35 AM

Thank you very much. This worked for me. Running the immobilizer in the SDD service functions after the new battery reset was what got the keys working.

Last edited by iamrcf; 06-13-2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

This was taken from FB.....nothing to do with me but good information.

​​​​​​Many have probably heard about the problems with BCM (dx23-14B476-ae, dx23-14B476-ag, dx23-14B476-bg and the others) in facelift XF's. Perhaps due to a voltage drop, maybe because of covid-19 or magnetic storms on Mars ... the reasons are not fully clear) the memory of BCM turns into a mess. The unlucky owner of the jaguar will find out that everything is bad with BCM when he disconnects a battery terminal. A sign that the module has already fallen into a coma is also the absence of a vin number in it and an error u3002-81 about a vin mismatch, which can be seen during diagnostics.

What to do?! The dealer in this case will replace both BCM modules (front and rear) and kvm module to addition. Professionals are limited only to the front. Both those and others unanimously assure that the module is not repairable.

In addition to the obvious problems with elementary flooding of these modules, both of them suffer from such an unpleasant amnesia with damage to the contents of the processor's internal memory (mc9s12xet256 stands in both BCM front and rear). This happens when there is a problem with the power supply. Moreover, as it turned out, for this is not even necessary to remove the terminal. Memory can fly off simply with a strong battery discharge or when editing the configuration. The whole tragedy of the situation is that both of these modules control almost all onboard electrics and are part of the car immobilizer system. The most common malfunction is the windshield washer or central locking stops working. The most unpleasant malfunction is “loosing the key” and the inability to start the car. Why is "loss of key" in quotes? Yes, because the keys are not lost anywhere, they are stored quietly in the KVM keyless entry unit (you can verify that they are working by pressing the headlights on button on the key). Accordingly, there is no point in rewriting the keys in this situation. It happens that the ignition turns on, but there is no start, for example, due to the fact that the body does not supply power to the ABS unit. Or some other module. What to do? Two options are possible here: if the memory is not critically damaged (only the central lock does not work), then the car can be completely fixed using SDD (and only SDD!). If the memory is significantly damaged (in the BCM module idents there is porridge instead of wine, the windshield washer does not work, error u3002-81 hangs about the mismatch of vin, the red inscription "electric key not found see manual" is on the panel) - no way without surgical intervention. The module must be removed, disassembled and the firmware restored using an external programmer. The scale of the disaster varies. Sometimes the contents of the module turn into a solid mess - in any case, there is a solution and there is no point in buying a new BCM. Since not everyone has a programmer, I stocked up on a few of the most popular BCM's and am ready to send them to you in exchange for your faulty ones. Please note that these modules also need to be programmed using sdd!

To summarize: if you have an XF facelift (it doesn’t matter, 2012 with a key slot or newer, without a slot), then sooner or later you are doomed - your unit will most likely not survive a strong voltage drop or disconnection of the battery terminals.

Maybe the car won't start at all. Perhaps only the central locking will fall off. By the way, about the central lock. This is probably the easiest malfunction with BCM: just after disconnecting the battery, the car stops locking the doors. At the same time, it reacts to the key, makes a beep-beep when trying to close the car with the key and clicks the gas tank hatch. The doors, however, remain unlocked. There is also no reaction to the "open / close" buttons on the dashboard. It is repaired quickly, again with the help of SDD.

Personally, I have never come across prefacelift with damaged BCM. And the processor in them is different, with a different memory architecture.

How to protect yourself? Monitor the condition of the battery, do not let it discharge (this is probably the main rule), do not disconnect battery terminals. For now, this is the only solution. The problem is in the design of the processor itself installed in the module. And this, glitch, cannot be fixed by firmware update or recall. If, despite all of the above, you still want to remove the terminal from the battery or think that your 10-year-old battery will last another winter, then keep a computer with the SDD program and the appropriate adapter on hand so that your carriage does not turn into a pumpkin at the most inopportune mome

nt. Well, if this still happened - message me

=AT291kkY5eg2QwuVG8V3U2qXCNL-SHT8T0TFYQr0ZY2dGm_uJGtYh6znFQZLzkJx5kQem8amtGOirH kiKol05bNe8UDipQfqjJc4haEFIwoXXt7cn_2hhWoU5JbFmKUO jZRanBqN-gOpiDbJK7vd0tbfipGmo1NrhO5c6pc]https://wa.me/+447523574234

=AT291kkY5eg2QwuVG8V3U2qXCNL-SHT8T0TFYQr0ZY2dGm_uJGtYh6znFQZLzkJx5kQem8amtGOirH kiKol05bNe8UDipQfqjJc4haEFIwoXXt7cn_2hhWoU5JbFmKUO jZRanBqN-gOpiDbJK7vd0tbfipGmo1NrhO5c6pc]https://wa.me/+447564006660

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Comment

Send

Old 06-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So I'm assuming that the battery reprogram followed by the immobilizer refresh will fix most problems then?

Old 06-20-2023, 10:40 AM

I don't know about most problems but it definitely fixed the central locking system. Good luck

Old 10-07-2023, 02:52 AM

Hi are you able to give further details on the Active X issue please.
Mike

Old 10-23-2023, 11:08 AM
Default XF locking issue

Had to disconnect and reconnect battery to reset the gear selector that would not sink down when switching the ignition off.

It sorted the issue but central locking would not work and got 2 error beeps when using the remote to try and lock the car.

Was quoted either £400 if just a reset needed or £2500 if modules needed relacing.

Searched the internet for possible solution.

Found this on the Jaguar forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-192543/page3/

Then when on AliExpress and paid £21 including delivery for JLR-SDD software & cable.

AliExpress link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005100388260.html?gps-id=pcFullPieceDiscount&scm=1007.24625.271276.0&scm _id=1007.24625.271276.0&scm-url=1007.24625.271276.0&pvid=dd477553-4b0c-4bf8-8258-6edbe748ec36&_t=gps-idcFullPieceDiscount,scm-url:1007.24625.271276.0,pvid:dd477553-4b0c-4bf8-8258-6edbe748ec36,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238111%231996& pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%2131.28%2117.21%21%21%2136.9 4%21%21%40211b617a16980763473552380e20b9%211200003 1659594194%21rec%21UK%212823081015%21&spm=a2g0o.st ore_pc_home.fullPieceDiscountPromo_6000641028454.1 005005100388260

Arrived after 3 weeks.

Installed on Window 11 PC (took a while) and managed to stop it switching to Edge (it needs just good old IE)

https://windowsloop.com/how-to-stop-...edge-redirect/

Option 3 - Edit registry to stop Internet Explorer to Edge redirect

Ran just the battery module which didn’t work, before realising that I needed to run both ‘battery replacement and immobiliser’ modules

Ran the ‘battery replacement and immobiliser’ modules listed under ‘recommended’ tab.

And bingo, central locking all working again.

Happy boy

Old 11-09-2023, 03:55 AM
Default Software

Originally Posted by Tufty59
Had to disconnect and reconnect battery to reset the gear selector that would not sink down when switching the ignition off.

It sorted the issue but central locking would not work and got 2 error beeps when using the remote to try and lock the car.

Was quoted either £400 if just a reset needed or £2500 if modules needed relacing.

Searched the internet for possible solution.

Found this on the Jaguar forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-192543/page3/

Then when on AliExpress and paid £21 including delivery for JLR-SDD software & cable.

AliExpress link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005100388260.html?gps-id=pcFullPieceDiscount&scm=1007.24625.271276.0&scm _id=1007.24625.271276.0&scm-url=1007.24625.271276.0&pvid=dd477553-4b0c-4bf8-8258-6edbe748ec36&_t=gps-idcFullPieceDiscount,scm-url:1007.24625.271276.0,pvid:dd477553-4b0c-4bf8-8258-6edbe748ec36,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238111%231996& pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%2131.28%2117.21%21%21%2136.9 4%21%21%40211b617a16980763473552380e20b9%211200003 1659594194%21rec%21UK%212823081015%21&spm=a2g0o.st ore_pc_home.fullPieceDiscountPromo_6000641028454.1 005005100388260

Arrived after 3 weeks.

Installed on Window 11 PC (took a while) and managed to stop it switching to Edge (it needs just good old IE)

https://windowsloop.com/how-to-stop-...edge-redirect/

Option 3 - Edit registry to stop Internet Explorer to Edge redirect

Ran just the battery module which didn’t work, before realising that I needed to run both ‘battery replacement and immobiliser’ modules

Ran the ‘battery replacement and immobiliser’ modules listed under ‘recommended’ tab.

And bingo, central locking all working again.

Happy boy

Hi Tuffy,

In relation to the software & using it on a car...

Im not a mechanic & would od have moderate computer experience, is this something thats extremely detailed /complicated? Im considering doing it as its just driving me crazy now.

TIA
👍

Old 11-09-2023, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yes do some searches for SDD and you will see dozens of threads.
Start with those and all your questions will be answered.
Note the forum moderators are trying to keep all the SDD stuff together because it such a huge subject. So post any questions you have to the existing large threads.

It is difficult and will take a lot of time but can be worth it as Tuffy59 posted above.
If you can't DIY I would forget about SDD and any attempt at using it.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Default Central locking issue

Hi there Tia

I have to say, actually using the software was easy.

You can see that yes, you could do some damage with it if you really wanted to and started playing around with it.

But just executing the 2 jobs required to reset the central locking us easy.

It literally tells you what to do, step by step.

The longest part was loading the software into my ageing laptop. That took a couple of hours.

But for me it was certainly worth the 3 week wait and the £20 it cost me (instead of the quote of £400) to fix it.

Tufty59

Old 02-14-2024, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Viyasan7
Does anyone have the answer to this? I have the same exact issue. My car does not lock (other than glovebox, boot and fuel cap), no doors lock at all after removing the battery to do brakes. This is driving me nuts. I used my professional scan tool and no codes appear under keyless entry module or anything. Checked all fuses, everything is good. Any suggestions?
i got the same problem i tried literally everything and i used sdd and it didn't work

Old 02-17-2024, 06:32 AM
Default Further complications.

All

Turns out there is another thing to look for if you have the dreaded double beep when trying to lock your XF.

I had it happen again after my previous same issue and tried

the same thing again using the Jaguar JLR software.

However, this time it didn’t clear the error.

It also kicked up a further issue, in that the XF lost both smart keys.

They couldn’t be found.

After trying a new main battery and also positioning the smart keys to their reset position under the dash, still a problem.

Couldn’t get the ignition to come on.

Had to have it recovered to an independent Jaguar mechanic here

in Swindon (shout out to Mike Allen Services for their good and honest work).

They had it a day and a half and it was sorted.

Just needed recoding.

However, the next day, the double beep locking issue came back.

I took it straight round to them and although they were just

about to close, Paul said he would have a quick look. After confirming the issue, he looked in the car and immediately saw the problem.

The passenger door lock motor had failed.

It was not locking the door.

This then causes the car to know that something is wrong.

So, I manually locked it, shut it and Paul then locked it with no issue.

I had been having intermittent issues with that door over the last year or so, but hadn’t connected it with anything.

Paul said that there are only 2 things that cause the double beep when locking.

One is the doors not being shut properly and the other is the locks not being activated.

He knew the issue straight away, as he said they replace appro’ 5 of these a week.

So therefore, if you have this issue, then check all your doors are not only closing properly, but that they are actually locking as well.

The XF is going into have the motor replaced next week, at a cost of £250 and 1 ½ hours work.

As I had already budgeted for a huge bill (a couple of thousand), I’m happy with that.

I’ll update on the outcome

Old 02-21-2024, 04:04 PM
Default 2013 XF 3.0 supercharged, door locks

Originally Posted by mr_gimlet
Just to keep this discussion going, I have had the same issue after disconnecting the battery. In my case, it was when the airbags were replaced under the recall. My independent Jaguar service guy can't even get into the system, so I am taking it into a dealer this week to have the system reinitialised.
My front door locks quick working, period. The dealer told me that both my fuse boxes had bad relays. They needed to be replaced by the dealer. I was told that used fuse boxes would not function as the cars 'identity' was imprinted on the fuse box. They want $9000+ for the two fuse boxes. Has anyone else been told this about the fuse boxes?

Old 02-21-2024, 04:22 PM
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

This is the tsb which involves changing the 2 BCM's but you can reprogramme as shown in the earlier pages, but this action means if you disconnect the battery again it will lose the locking.

​​​​​​

Old 02-21-2024, 04:28 PM

Brain fart. It is a 2015 XF.

Quick Reply: Central locking not working after battery re-connect