XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Central locking not working after battery re-connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dondebourg
My front door locks quick working, period. The dealer told me that both my fuse boxes had bad relays. They needed to be replaced by the dealer. I was told that used fuse boxes would not function as the cars 'identity' was imprinted on the fuse box. They want $9000+ for the two fuse boxes. Has anyone else been told this about the fuse boxes?
I have now had this a couple of times, and basically the dealers always default to 'junction box' regardless of the issue. The first time is the one I wrote above - I went to another dealer who identified the central locking issue was because one of the door locks was out of alignment so it tried to lock but couldn't.
I also had another experience a year or so ago now. My car was in for paint correction and - for whatever reason - my secondary battery went flat for a few days. I got the battery replaced, but by that point it had forgotten the keys. I had to have it towed to a dealer who (quickly) reset the keys. One of my controllers didn't reboot - but it's so trivial I don't really care - and every reboot risks making a junction box problem.
The reason I dropped back in is that one of the absolute technical stars of the Jaguar community based in Sydney mentioned the old 'junction box' excuse. This is a link to their FB feed
Facebook Post
and scroll down to September 2022 (In case the forum software plays up, they are oldjaguarau on FB)

Old 04-06-2024, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Nick, we have the same problem. We close to Brighton. Do you live close by?

Originally Posted by Nick St Moritz
Hi everyone

I have the solution to this issue. I experienced exactly the same. I disconnected the battery to fit a dash cam, reconnected and boom, central locking doesn't work. Boot works, filler cap locks. I was having to manually lock the doors with the key, then set the alarm. This at least locked and alarmed the car.

The solution has been mentioned before. You need a Mongoose connector and a laptop with the JLR SDD software. Once installed, you run the Battery Replacement AND the Immobiliser module. It goes through a sequence of easy to follow steps, and click! EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN.

I bought my Mongoose cable and software from a UK seller obd_software for Ł109.99. Now I know you can get these connectors cheaper from China, but I thought at least eBay has the return / refund guarantee if it didn't work.

Installing the software was long winded, but there is a video tutorial on how to do this given by the ebay seller. Once installed, I also ran into a problem with Microsoft Edge not running an Active X component, but the fix for this was to go to Edge settings and set the JLR SDD page it was trying to open as an Internet Explorer page. I will be happy to help anyone with more details of this step if needed.

I tried the battery replacement module first and although it resolved my ECO start which had stopped working from a previous battery sway out (bonus), central locking did not work. I then read on another forum to try the Immobilser module reset. Just tried it and YES!!

The SDD software looks a bit out dated and not the easiest to navigate, but the battery replacement and immobiliser modules are listed under a "recommended" tab.

I will be more than happy to guide anyone on this very, very frustrating bug in the Jaguar system that they have not seemed to take ownership of.

Nick
Spoiler

Old 06-05-2024, 09:41 AM
Default No Imobilizer option

2014 XF250 facelift 2.2 UK Spec
SDD 138

Hope someone can help

I ran the SDD all nice and good, I ran the 'battery changed' and the check batteries, again all good.
But the keyfob still doesn't lock.

I scrolled step by step through all the service options and nowhere was there mention of the imobilizer (Imobiliser) so I can't run it.

Can anyone help me to locate this on the 138 please.

Much appreciated
63years 4 months, size 7.5 shoe, although 8 in sports shoes. No banana required. YES I';m a member of the dull men club!

Old 06-05-2024, 10:07 AM
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

This was copied from another site............

​​​​​​Issue one most common:

Car won't lock after battery disconnect. This is solved via immobilisation in SDD.

Issue two less common:

Key not recognised at all hence no ignition, immobilisation not possible.

This is done via cluster reprogram as it will bypass the key sequence, turns ignition itself and do the immobilisation at the end.

This will also update cluster to latest software, bonus.

The following users liked this post:
jimbo61 (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
This was copied from another site............

​​​​​​Issue one most common:

Car won't lock after battery disconnect. This is solved via immobilisation in SDD.

Issue two less common:

Key not recognised at all hence no ignition, immobilisation not possible.

This is done via cluster reprogram as it will bypass the key sequence, turns ignition itself and do the immobilisation at the end.

This will also update cluster to latest software, bonus.
Thanks,

As I said,
I have the SDD, but there is no mention of immobiliser, which is why I asked :-)

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-05-2024, 12:26 PM
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

I can see it in a picture in this thread #31

Old 06-29-2024, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changes my car battery and had this issue an OBD2 solved my issue

The SDD JLR is a great way to do it but I ended up using the Autel I own. Did a run on “battery replacement” (both batteries) and “immobilization” and the locks started to work again. I’m sure if you visit a mechanic shop they have an OBD2 that is enough to run these test and I’m sure it will be much cheaper than what Jaguar will quote you!