XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Ceramic Finish

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 02:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Default Ceramic Finish

Has anyone used a ceramic car wax and were you satisfied with the results?

Old 09-05-2022, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,120 Likes on 703 Posts

For years I'd been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after about every third car wash (basically about once a month). The nice thing about that product is that it was so easy that I'd actually do it. Nothing lasts very long in the Texas sun. I'd typically do a clay bar, polish and paste wax annually and then the Mequiars Quik Wax to maintain. After watching Project Farm's test of ceramic waxes, I did my annual routine this spring and topped it off with the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions 53409. I've washed it a dozen times since then and it still seems to be pretty slick but it really hasn't been long enough. Next spring will be the defining moment when I go to do my annual process. Will it have more or less dirt in the clay? Will it show more or fewer swirls? Will it even need it at all? I'm not real hopeful but we'll see.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
For years I'd been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after about every third car wash (basically about once a month). The nice thing about that product is that it was so easy that I'd actually do it. Nothing lasts very long in the Texas sun. I'd typically do a clay bar, polish and paste wax annually and then the Mequiars Quik Wax to maintain. After watching Project Farm's test of ceramic waxes, I did my annual routine this spring and topped it off with the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions 53409. I've washed it a dozen times since then and it still seems to be pretty slick but it really hasn't been long enough. Next spring will be the defining moment when I go to do my annual process. Will it have more or less dirt in the clay? Will it show more or fewer swirls? Will it even need it at all? I'm not real hopeful but we'll see.
It's swings and roundabouts my US friend. Yes your car bakes and the paint fades and the dashboard dries out... but.. at least you do not have to worry about the rust and rot caused by the damp cold climate we have here in North East England .... Every cloud as they say... 😀👍
Take care bud 😅😅👍

Old 09-06-2022, 04:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I live about 10mi from the Atlantic Ocean so I will see how the Ceramic finish holds up.

Originally Posted by Smitty99XKR
It's swings and roundabouts my US friend. Yes your car bakes and the paint fades and the dashboard dries out... but.. at least you do not have to worry about the rust and rot caused by the damp cold climate we have here in North East England .... Every cloud as they say... 😀👍
Take care bud 😅😅👍

Old 09-07-2022, 04:26 AM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I have always cleaned and maintained the paintwork (and interior) meticulously and used several products to maintain the finish to a silky smooth mirror finish. When the car has returned from long road trips etc I have always washed the car immediately on returning home so as to ensure things like insect splatters, bitumen etc do not have a chance to dry and harden and discolour the paintwork. Having the car live in a basement carpark and covering it with a car cover has also contributed to maintaining a high finish. Even so, I had researched the costs, results and longevity of having the car fully detailed, paint corrected and then ceramic coated. I understand and appreciate right from the outset that getig a car professional ceramic coated can be quite expensive but I intend keepng my 14 year old XF forever. So in 2021 I had the car exteriorceramic coated as well as protective coarings applied to the interior lether work, wood trim etc.

I can honestly say that the appearance of the car moved to a new level and the ease in washing it it and maintaining it has been made dramatically easier. I have since the ceramic coating was applied also apply a very light maintenance/rejuvenator product after every third or so wash and this is very easily applied and just keeps that ulta silky shine.

I suppose its like anything that if you get the foundation/base right then everything from thereon is so much easier. There are a lot of ceramic coating products and a host of YouTube clips that compare the coatings and show you how to prepare the car and apply the coating if you do want to do it yourself.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Armor All

I used Armor All Ceramic after a regular wash and the results have been excellent. Its been several weeks and water still beads up like crazy. I applied it using a foam cannon. Only took a few minutes.

Amazon Amazon