XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Ceramic Pads ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Pads ??

At 40,000 miles I am getting the low brake pad message so sooner or later at least the pads will have to be changed and I want to use ceramics. Does anybody have real experience with ceramics and recommend a brand or type to use. Car is driven only on street and highway....no track or racing.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm using the EBC Red stuff pads and they work well. Still trying to see how much dust they produce since I didn't wash the car for a while. Like that they aren't as touchy as the stock XFR pads though.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

EBC Red here also, not as much dust and what dust there is, is not black as from the factory pads. Not much in the way of pad selection for Jays. But I like the EBC's.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

I replaced the stock brake pads with PowerStop ceramic pads from Rock Auto over a year ago now, and they have been brilliant. Less than 1/3 the cost of OEM pads from my local dealer, even allowing for postage cost from the US to Oz, much more progressive feel than the stock pads, very low dust (the stock pads were shocking for dust), and they have barely worn after roughly 10,000 miles.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Did the 2012 XF come with ceramic brake pads as OEM?

I hear good things about the Akebono pads.

Last edited by XJL; 01-05-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

Akebono's are great, but only available on the rear of the XF (at least the 2011 NA). They are supposed to come out with fronts this year, but that's not a certainty.

EBC's still dust a lot. And less dust is really not much better than lots of dust. Your wheels will still look dull from brake dust in 1 day, so nothing gained.

Zero dust like the Akebono is the way to go. I am still experimenting with front pads to find an equivalent.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

As I said earlier, the PowerStop ceramic pads I fitted a year or so ago are very low dust.
I give my wheels a quick wipe once a week, takes 30 seconds each wheel, and they come up looking like new.
These PowerStop pads come in a range of sizes to suit the different size XF rotors, including the stock 326 mm rears (and fronts on lower spec XF models), the 355 mm fronts I have on my XFS, and the 385 mm fronts and 380 mm rears on the XFR.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-06-2015), XJL (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 PM
XJL
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 PM
XJL

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Powerstops are what have have waiting to go on the fronts:
Amazon.com: Power Stop (16-1241) Z16 Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

Here are the Akebono's I use for the rear:
Amazon.com: Akebono EUR1095 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive

Could you please keep us posted on this?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Powerstops are what have have waiting to go on the fronts:
Amazon.com: Power Stop (16-1241) Z16 Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

Here are the Akebono's I use for the rear:
Amazon.com: Akebono EUR1095 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive
Update on brake pads:

I just installed the Power Stop in the front, but be warned! All the 3rd party sites that sell Power Stop list the 16-1241 as the right pad for the 2011 XF Premium Front Pads. They are all wrong! I ordered those pads from Amazon (which also lists them as correct), and while they looked almost identical to the original pads, they are slightly different. The pad doesn't sit on the disc properly and the caliper won't go on all the way. I checked the Power Stop website, and it showed 16-1240. I ordered that one, and it works perfectly. Amazon didn't hesitate to take back the wrong ones.

How do they compare? The braking feels good. It doesn't grab as much as the stock pads, which I prefer. But even though it's better, it's different. After a week, it will become the new norm for you and you won't remember the grabbiness of the originals.

The brake dust is much much better than the EBC Reds. It's not zero dust like the Akebonos (I don't know how they do it), but it's definitely a light color and very little.

So the Power Stop are winners for me, because I wanted to get rid of the black dust from the stock pads and the EBCs. I will be ordering another set of Power Stop front pads to replace the EBC Reds on my other XF.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Update on brake pads:

I just installed the Power Stop in the front, but be warned! All the 3rd party sites that sell Power Stop list the 16-1241 as the right pad for the 2011 XF Premium Front Pads. They are all wrong! I ordered those pads from Amazon (which also lists them as correct), and while they looked almost identical to the original pads, they are slightly different. The pad doesn't sit on the disc properly and the caliper won't go on all the way. I checked the Power Stop website, and it showed 16-1240. I ordered that one, and it works perfectly. Amazon didn't hesitate to take back the wrong ones.

How do they compare? The braking feels good. It doesn't grab as much as the stock pads, which I prefer. But even though it's better, it's different. After a week, it will become the new norm for you and you won't remember the grabbiness of the originals.

The brake dust is much much better than the EBC Reds. It's not zero dust like the Akebonos (I don't know how they do it), but it's definitely a light color and very little.

So the Power Stop are winners for me, because I wanted to get rid of the black dust from the stock pads and the EBCs. I will be ordering another set of Power Stop front pads to replace the EBC Reds on my other XF.
Same here, I found that the stock pads were way too grabby for my liking, in low speed stop start traffic the brake pedal acted like an on/off switch, very difficult to drive smoothly no matter how hard I tried to modulate the braking.
Pulling into my garage then stopping was a real chore.
The PowerStops are so much more progressive and nicer feeling, and as you say you quickly get used to the lack of initial severe bite.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFS
I replaced the stock brake pads with PowerStop ceramic pads from Rock Auto over a year ago now, and they have been brilliant. Less than 1/3 the cost of OEM pads from my local dealer, even allowing for postage cost from the US to Oz, much more progressive feel than the stock pads, very low dust (the stock pads were shocking for dust), and they have barely worn after roughly 10,000 miles.
I have the same pads with centric high carbon rotors that I had installed about a year and a half ago. The setup has been amazing so far. Almost no dust and good stopping power

Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How is Rock Auto?

They have great prices on Powerstop pads -- I can get the front and rear pads for my 2010 XF 5.0 for only $60, with shipping. I never bought from them before, are they okay? They also have Centric Premium front rotors from them. Anyone have experience with Centric rotors?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
They have great prices on Powerstop pads -- I can get the front and rear pads for my 2010 XF 5.0 for only $60, with shipping. I never bought from them before, are they okay? They also have Centric Premium front rotors from them. Anyone have experience with Centric rotors?
Yes rockauto is the best parts supplier in North America. I got centric high carbon rotors and power stop ceramic pads for my 09 from them about a year and a half ago. All in I paid about $500 CAD for the parts. So far it's been a great setup.

If you're into saving money, buy all your consumables from rock auto.

The following users liked this post:
Long Islander (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used Rockauto for years, 100% satisfaction. Before you order, google for a rockauto discount code. They run a 5% off coupon every month. Not much but every little bit helps.

The following users liked this post:
Long Islander (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I just ordered Akebono Euro Ultra Premium for the rears (fronts are not yet available from Akebono) from Rockauto for only $60 shipped. I think I have a bit more life left on the fronts, so I'll wait on those. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

I just ordered Akebono Euro Ultra Premium for the rears (fronts are not yet available from Akebono) from Rockauto for only $60 shipped. I think I have a bit more life left on the fronts, so I'll wait on those. Thanks for the info!
I am loving the Akebono's on the rear axles. I just put Akebono's front and rear on the Range Rover Sport. It's amazing how these pads feel better, but don't dust or eat the rotors.

Go ahead and get the Power Stops for the front of your Jag so you don't eat through the rotors with those terrible stock pads. The Power Stops feel better than stock and they don't dust either.

So nice.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

I know I said earlier that Power Stop do brake pads for all variants of XF, including the XFR (which I now have). No, they don't do pads for the XFR, so I've bought Centric pads instead (front & rear, semi-metallic rather than ceramic), I'll report back once they are fitted and have a few miles under the belt.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I have Centric ceramics on mine and I have been very happy with them. They aren't as grabby at low speeds which is great. The dust is almost completely eliminated.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pads ??