XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Certified Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Certified Jaguar XF

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a used Jaguar Supercharged or XFR (2010 or 2011). My question is, can any dealership certify a used Jaguar if they really wanted to (assuming it hasn't been in an accident)? I recently went to test drive a 2011 XF Supercharged at a Cadillac dealership (the Jaguar dealership is right down the road) and I asked them if they could certify the vehicle and they flat out told me no. The XF only had 25k miles on it, 31 months of warranty left, so I'm wondering why they would tell me no. I thought any vehicle could be certified and the dealership just has to pay Jaguar a fee to get it certified along with an inspection.

On a side note, anyone in the northeast have a Jaguar XF 2010,2011 Supercharged or XFR for sale? Needs to be under 35k and max budget would be 40k for a 2011 XFR. I've seen a couple 2011 XF Supercharged vehicles for 35k with under 30k miles but they didn't work out.

Appreciate any feedback anyone can give me regarding the certification process. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't believe they can certify any car you bring them. Generally you have to buy one that has been certified.

The certified warranty only covers major components and I think each dealer has a tiny bit of leeway as to what they will cover. Most common issues you'd run into are not likely to be any major component issues so you'd pay out of pocket for the fix anyway. Read up on the other threads asking about common issues. If I were to do it again I don't think I'd pay much more for one with a certified warranty (mine is certified).

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Pretty much all manufacturers will certify a car only if it is purchased from their dealers. If you are looking for a 2011, I wouldn't worry as much about a certified car as the 2011 already came with a five year warranty and the certified is a total of six years. I think it is more of a useful insurance for other model years.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>31 months of warranty left

I think that's the salient point, if it still has nearly 3 years of factory warranty left then you should be ok. I'd call a Jaguar dealer, give them the VIN, and ask them if the warranty is still in effect and would be transferred to a new owner.

Otherwise get the Caddy dealer to throw in a GM used car warranty.

I got a FORD warranty after my certified-preowned expired and my Jaguar dealer LOVED it It covered more than the Jaguar warranty and there was never a problem in getting a bill covered. They got to the point where they didn't even call for pre-repair authorization, they just did the work and FORD paid.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

The following users liked this post:
XJL (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it. I guess that makes sense, unless it's a jaguar dealership selling the vehicle, they can't certify it. So if I get a 2010, get it certified since it adds 2 additional years but if 2011, it doesn't matter too much if it's certified.

For the 2011 XF Supercharged I looked at, the link to the carfax is below. Even though it's at a good price $35k and 31months of warranty left, I'm hesitant because it has 3 previous owners. The second owner only owned the vehicle for 1 month and the 3rd owner only owned it for about 5 months. Plus the carfax shows multiple computer resets, fuel injector issue and spark plugs replaced at only 16k miles. I know it's still under warranty, but I don't want to buy a car where it needs to be in the shop every month or every other month.

Link to carfax
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2011 JAGUAR XF SUPERCHARGED

At Pab <- You ended up getting a extended factory warranty from Ford? And your jaguar dealership honored that Ford warranty? I didn't even know that was possible. Did you buy your jaguar from a Ford dealership initially? I assume not since you said yours was a CPO jaguar.

Anyways, thx for the responses, and I'll keep you updated on what I find.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

In my opinion, that car is not worth it, the service history shows a problem car.

The CPO warranty increases the factory warranty to 6 years or 100K miles. The factory warranty is 5 years or 50k miles.

So a CPO is worth it as you will run out of miles well before you run out of years.

Go to Jags CPO site and find a better car.

Certified Pre-Owned/Used Jaguar Vehicles | Jaguar USA

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>You ended up getting a extended factory warranty from Ford?

Yup, the dealer didn't care who paid for any repair so they were happy to take Ford's money. I think they had no problem since Ford is such a big corporate entity that they didn't worry about coverage.

They may also have felt comfortable based on the fact that until a couple of years before they were a "Ford Dealership" and all their warranties were Ford warranties (perhaps they were even writing those warranties themselves since they were part of the Ford "family").

But I'm sure they would be equally comfortable with Costco warranties since Costco is such a well-known company.

Bob and Sue's used car warranty? Perhaps not...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by pw3484
For the 2011 XF Supercharged I looked at, the link to the carfax is below. Even though it's at a good price $35k and 31months of warranty left, I'm hesitant because it has 3 previous owners. The second owner only owned the vehicle for 1 month and the 3rd owner only owned it for about 5 months. Plus the carfax shows multiple computer resets, fuel injector issue and spark plugs replaced at only 16k miles. I know it's still under warranty, but I don't want to buy a car where it needs to be in the shop every month or every other month.
If I were you, I'd call the JLR dealer in Norwood. Car looks like it was with them from new (they are the same dealer as Jake Kaplans in RI) and appears they resold it a couple of times. Given they no longer have the car as it's at a Caddy dealer, you may find the JLR service manager gives you an honest view on it. It certainly sounds a bit odd to have a 3 month and a 1 month period of ownership - suggests there could be something wrong there... Then as others suggest you may find the Jag CPO site a better place to search - you'll pay more from a Jag dealer for sure, but might have better peace of mind.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars

If I were you, I'd call the JLR dealer in Norwood. Car looks like it was with them from new (they are the same dealer as Jake Kaplans in RI) and appears they resold it a couple of times. Given they no longer have the car as it's at a Caddy dealer, you may find the JLR service manager gives you an honest view on it. It certainly sounds a bit odd to have a 3 month and a 1 month period of ownership - suggests there could be something wrong there... Then as others suggest you may find the Jag CPO site a better place to search - you'll pay more from a Jag dealer for sure, but might have better peace of mind.
While on the phone with them I'd check about an extended warranty (not certified) on a pre - owned Jag. I purchased one for about $3900 that covers me for seven years from the date I purchased the vehicle (8/13) or 100k miles. Since I don't drive a ton of miles I should be covered until near 2020. And no deductible if repaired at a Jag dealer. My understanding was it had to still be under factory warranty to purchase the extended. Might help you broaden your search at non - Jag dealers. And any Jag dealer can sell you one so you can shop around to find the best price.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I actually did contact the JLR dealership in Norwood, but the service tech there told me that he wasn't allowed to give me details with the service history of the vehicle. He did tell me however that if he was in the market for a vehicle, he would've bought it and didn't see any major issues. I agree with the posters here though, it's clearly obvious from the carfax history that this car has some type of issue.

Thanks 2010 Kyanite XFR, I will check out the extended warranty offered by jaguar. If I do end up getting a 2010, I will definitely by a CPO, and if I find a 2011, I think I prefer a 1-owner vehicle that's been maintained properly if it's not CPO. Also makes it easier to sell rather than me being a 4th owner on a vehicle with only 25k miles.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a used Jaguar Supercharged or XFR (2010 or 2011). My question is, can any dealership certify a used Jaguar if they really wanted to (assuming it hasn't been in an accident)? I recently went to test drive a 2011 XF Supercharged at a Cadillac dealership (the Jaguar dealership is right down the road) and I asked them if they could certify the vehicle and they flat out told me no. The XF only had 25k miles on it, 31 months of warranty left, so I'm wondering why they would tell me no. I thought any vehicle could be certified and the dealership just has to pay Jaguar a fee to get it certified along with an inspection.

On a side note, anyone in the northeast have a Jaguar XF 2010,2011 Supercharged or XFR for sale? Needs to be under 35k and max budget would be 40k for a 2011 XFR. I've seen a couple 2011 XF Supercharged vehicles for 35k with under 30k miles but they didn't work out.

Appreciate any feedback anyone can give me regarding the certification process. Thanks.
About 3 or 4 years ago, I was looking to replace my X300-series XJR with something newer. I found an '07 XJR at the local Cadillac dealer for an incredible price but I wanted the Jag Selection Ed Certified warranty, which I had with my X300 and loved. I knew the Caddy dealer couldn't offer it so I went to my Jag dealer, where I have good relations, and I told the manager that I'd pay him the Caddy dealer's ask pricing for the car plus the cost of the Select Ed Certified warranty if he'd acquire this '07 XJR from the Caddy dealer and certify it. We had a deal within a few hours since it was simply a matter of one dealer buying a used car from another for something less than the asking price. In the mean time, I drove the '07 XJR and didn't like it -- it drove more like a Lincoln than my X300-series XJR so I still passed on the deal, but they would have done it. When I passed on the deal, my Jag dealer told me the "new" XF was a more suitable replacement for my X300 XJR, since they both drive more like sports sedans than the original aluminum-body XJR. I tried a XF and agreed, but decided to put a little more money in my X300 XJR and keep it on the road until Jag did AWD. Now, I luv my new AWD XF, especially with the winter we're having!!!

Anyway, see if your local Jag dealer will make a deal to buy the car and sell it to you -- I bet they will!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Just wanted to post an update... I took the advice of people here and happened to find a 2011 XF Supercharged with just a little over 500 miles on it. Practically a brand new car that's never been owned before. It's factory certified so warranty is good until June 2017. I was able to purchase it for $38.5k. I kinda was hoping to get a 2011 XFR, but I couldn't pass up this deal to own a practically new XF supercharged. Finding a 2011 XFR would have cost me about 4-5 grand more and it would've had at least 20-30k miles on it. Just wasn't worth it in my opinion. If all goes well, I'll be picking it up this weekend

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-17-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

That was an incredible deal.

Good things come to those who wait, it seems.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. Very nice job. Five year factory warranty and maintenance should come with it as it's never been titled, right?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Just wanted to post an update... I took the advice of people here and happened to find a 2011 XF Supercharged with just a little over 500 miles on it. ...........
Thanks for coming back and posting the outcome.

Good to hear you got a good deal and that advice from members helped.

Graham

Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

That sounds like a great deal. Basically brand new and the certified warranty. Congrats.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Yes. Very nice job. Five year factory warranty and maintenance should come with it as it's never been titled, right?
Actually the vehicle has an in service date of 6/11, so that's when the warranty started so the factory warranty is good until 6/16. Also just got a call back from the dealership and they made a mistake with the certification. Jaguar and the bank is considering the vehicle new, so they can't certify the vehicle. So instead to "make up" for their mistake they are willing to give me a 6 year 100k mile no deductible extended factory warranty that starts the day I pick the vehicle up. Is the extended warranty as good as certification and is this still a good deal? I'm not too worried since it's still a brand new car and under warranty so I think I'm still gonna go through with the deal. Just curious what any of u thought about the extended warranty.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Get a copy of the warranty contract and check the fine print. Probably the same as the one I purchased. It's what's called an exclusionary warranty so there are things that it won't cover. But at least all the exclusions are spelled out in detail on the contract.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Get a copy of the warranty contract and check the fine print. Probably the same as the one I purchased. It's what's called an exclusionary warranty so there are things that it won't cover. But at least all the exclusions are spelled out in detail on the contract.
Just got a sample copy of the extended warranty and wow, there's a lot of exclusions. Probably would have been better saying what was covered instead of what isn't, lol. Although, as you said, at least everything is spelled out what isn't covered. Main concern of mine are the electronics and stuff like that and that doesn't seem to be excluded.

Attached Thumbnails Certified Jaguar XF-warranty.jpg