XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Changed window motor in 2010 XF supercharged battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed window motor in 2010 XF supercharged battery dead

Hello all,

Changed my window motor myself on the passenger side. Took my time out it back together. This took me 2 days even though I was done in about 2 hours of work. During the process I did not disconnect the battery and it fully died. I charged it and had no issues for about 2 weeks.

Then I came out after about 2 days to drive it and it was dead again. Now it sends to have a show drain. If I start the car every 8 to 10 hours it is fine. If I go longer it will be to dead to charge.

I took the door apart again... No loose connections. I am thinking it is just a bad battery. Any thing I could be missing? I know these cars are notorious for battery issues and I read about 20 threads on related subjects. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:05 AM

Now it appears to have a slow drain*

Old 02-17-2020, 03:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums omen omega,

For good reasons, the Jaguar recommendation is that for any extended vehicle rework that results in consuming vehicle power, either the battery should be disconnected or a JLR approved power supply connected. There's a lot of sensitive electronics in the vehicle which can be irreparably damaged by spikes.

It's possibly a BMS (Battery Monitoring System) fault but I think more likely the battery has had its day. The BMS Module is the one connected directly to the negative terminal and is controlled by the GWM (Gateway Module).

As your battery is going dead in a very short time you are presumably jumping it to start the vehicle. You are aware NOT to connect directly to the battery terminals for emergency starting?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
omen omega (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Thank you for the reply and the information.

I saw the battery terminal jump port near the fuse box in a picture on here. I will be using this from now on. Hopefully all I messed up was the battery.

To be fair the battery seemed surgy when I first got the car. I noticed pulsing in the dash and lights and figured the battery or alternator were on their way out. I am pretty sure it is the original battery as I have all of the service records.

I appreciate all of the assistance. I will replace the battery and give an update.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:17 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't have the thread, but in the sometime ago in the S-Type forum someone had an issue with parasitic draw and took them months to trace it to either the rear window motor or the door lock actuator. That's without having touched it, and yours started when a change took place there, it is definitely a place to check again. Maybe unplug everything where you worked and see if it stops.

If not then follow here, could just be a coincidence, a lot of stuck motors, switches and modules not going to sleep can cause the draw
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-drain-123535/

Old 03-01-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove the battery from the car and charge it for 12-24 i had the same issue i dont know why but when the car sees that the battery is low it will drain it completely so fully charging the battery fixed the problem for me. If you jumpstart the car and drive it for few minutes to charge the bat it will drain it again be becuase the car sees the low bat. If you been reading the forums on this topic u will see that alot of people change batterys for the same reason they cant stop the car from draining the bat and they think the bat is the bad they get a new battery full charge and the problem stops. But guess what? Most of the time the bat was good just needed some charge.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Also try disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes and reconnecting (when charged). Some of these cars don't shutdown properly and have continuous power draw. For some reason a reset of the power seems to address that. More common on F Type but also on some XF