XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Checking the oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016 | 01:36 PM
|
Default Checking the oil

I took my 2015 XF in for its one year service I had no problem checking the oil for the entire first year.Since I've had it back every time I check the oil I get see handbook I've tried it every way possible hood open and closed engine hot and cold five minutes after shut off ten minutes and every five minutes upto an hour anyone else ever had this happen??

Old 04-27-2016 | 04:47 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Try resetting the service mode message again..the procedure is around here somewhere...if nobody provides it for you, I'll post it later

Old 04-27-2016 | 05:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by DPK
Try resetting the service mode message again..the procedure is around here somewhere...if nobody provides it for you, I'll post it later
That would be great I called the dealer and was told to bring it back but that's a hour and a half each way so I'd like to try this first if you would post it.

Old 04-27-2016 | 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Here's how to reset the service indicator:

1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (while the ignition is off).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (turns the ignition on).
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch.
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch.
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch.
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message centre should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

Be warned though, you have a total of 2 seconds to complete steps 1 to 5, so it can take a few tries before you nail it.

Old 04-27-2016 | 06:57 PM
|

Thank you I rest it going for a ride to get it up to temp ( you know that breaks my heart going for a ride) lol I'll see what happens thank you again.

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:29 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

If that first method didn't work, try this one

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:55 PM
|

I was able to rest it but it's still telling to see handbook oh well back to the dealer it is. Thank you for your time

Old 04-27-2016 | 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Before you take it back to the dealer it might be worth trying a "reboot" of the electrical system. Works for Windows, and often works for the fussy Jag electrical system.
Simply disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes, then reconnect.
You will probably lose your Trip A and Trip B data, and need to reset the clock (both no biggie) and you will probably need to reset the one-touch window up / window down operation (easy to do, check your Owner Manual), but that's it.

Old 04-27-2016 | 09:19 PM
|

Ok it's worth a try thank you

Old 04-29-2016 | 10:57 AM
Default Oil Level Check

I recently experienced the same problem with checking the oil level on my 2015 XF 3.0SC AWD which was purchased brand new and now has 8,000 miles.

While doing an oil level check and using the trip computer stalk as outlined in owners manual, my reading was stating "See Handbook" which stated that there was too much oil in car and to not drive it until looked at by dealer. I had an oil change done at dealer approximately 3,000 miles ago and have never added oil. This occurred every time I attempted to check the oil using electronic system and my car is running fine with no error codes or dashboard warnings.

I brought the car to a dealer who evacuated my oil to check the level and then confirmed that I had the correct amount of oil in car. They then diagnosed a defective oil sensor which was replaced under warranty.

After the repair I drove for 15 minutes or so and the oil level reading was accurate. However, subsequent checks when parked in various areas that appear to be level, have been mixed. Some say "See Handbook" yet at other times the oil level registers correctly. There is one very flat parking spot in front of my house where after 5 oil level checks I have received accurate oil level readings stating that "Oil Level is OK" every time.

At this time I am usually able to get a correct oil level reading (every time parked in front of house) so I have decided to leave it alone. It appears to me and I have since learned that an accurate oil level reading in my car is very dependent on just how level the parking spot is where I am doing my check. I don't recall the car being so quirky while checking the oil during my first year of ownership. Good luck but in my case by having dealer change oil sensor I am now often able to get an accurate oil level reading. I drive for about 20 minutes, turn off engine for about 20 minutes and hope that the parking spot is level enough so that I can get an accurate reading. Certainly not ideal about having such difficulty with something as routine as checking your oil but I no longer have the patience to continue dealing with car dealer service departments unless the problem is really serious which in this case it is not. It is just easier for me to live with this slightly annoying problem.

This is the first problem that I have experienced with the exception of having fueling shut off problems which was corrected 100% after the dealer installed the revised fuel filler neck and related parts.

Ed

Old 04-29-2016 | 11:34 AM
|

I had no problems whatsoever for the first year with the oil until they serviced it. And I'm dealing with the fuel issue as well!! Thank you you've been very helpful

Old 04-29-2016 | 01:57 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

You can also try the quick check method and can be done anytime..

Open the Hood, get in the car and close the doors, press start button without touching brake..wait until all the electronics settle down..cycle through the stalk/trip button as unusual and it should indicate OK...if it fails to read, hit the cruise control "Cancel" and repeat the stalk/trip button try.

Old 04-29-2016 | 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Just take it in, the sonic sensor that's used to get the oil level reading is probably bad. Although this way of checking the oil has been around on aircraft for years, it's relatively new on cars so just take it in and lobby for a free oil change...LoL

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-29-2016 at 02:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cherry_560sel (05-01-2016)
Old 06-09-2016 | 11:57 AM

I have the same fuel filling issue and the constant "see handbook" issue when trying to check my oil. These seem like intended behavior as they are so prevalent.....

Old 06-14-2016 | 10:15 AM
Default Checking the oil worked today!

Went out to my car at lunch today and tried to read the oil level. It worked! Said "OK" and showed it as full. Being an engineer, I'm now convinced it is a complex algorithm of oil temp, engine temp, time since driving, etc etc so that when these all line up correctly, it will give you a correct read out, otherwise no, so that it doesn't give you faulty info.

Old 06-14-2016 | 04:39 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

While I appreciate your clinical approach to the system..But I think you are giving it more credit than it deserves. I believe it is a simple timed based measure and by golly, you had better wait 10 mins from the time you shut off the car before you can read the Oil Level...In speculation as told by another here, that it give time for oil to settle to the sump and at that time it's still at it's highest oil expansion level based on the rather hot temp yet...I think that is an okay conclusion..But My reasoning is to wait long after the engine cools down and use the short cut method as I mentioned above..

Quick Oil Level check at ANYTIME,,Cold or Hot...Open the Hood, get in the car and close the doors, press start button without touching brake..wait until all the electronics settle down..cycle through the stalk/trip button as unusual and it should indicate OK...if it fails to read, hit the cruise control "Cancel" and repeat the stalk/trip button try.

Last edited by DPK; 06-14-2016 at 06:09 PM.