XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Choosing an XF V6 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 AM
tvs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing an XF V6 diesel

Hello guys,

New poster here. Looking to change my old Volvo to an Jaguar XF and I'm reluctant to spend more than what gets me an XF from 2012-2013 or so. I have also narrowed the selection down to 3.0L V6 diesel engines (have never owned a diesel before, but for what I read, 3L tractor is the one to go with XF-s).

Now there's the "ordinary" 3.0L V6 diesel at 177kW and then there's the S-model at 202kW that obviously tends to cost a bit more. Given that I anticipate most of the driving to be within city limits, I'm not sure the extra kW is of a great extra value itself, however are there some other things I should take under consideration that provide extra value with the S-configuration? Extra features, engine noise (both throttle noise & noise insulation in the cabin etc), whatever, maybe even things to consider not directly engine-related at all? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Engine wise there is no real difference between the "base" and the S, it's all in the tune (and possibly a slightly freer flowing exhaust). Fuel economy is the same, noise is much the same, with the S sounding maybe a little sportier under maximum load.
The S comes with a few extras and usually some more toys, but that depends on which trim level you go for, the Portfolio base has pretty much all the same toys as the S.
Mechanical differences are (I think) limited to larger front brakes (355 mm vs 326 mm) and adaptive suspension as standard on the S and optional on the base.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Can someone advise what is the average fuel consumption for V6 diesel ?

Im interested in mix as I drive mainly in city but also make regular longer trips of about 400km each day.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Ski

I average 28MPG and that's in a V6 XF S with a mix of town and long journey's