XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Clicking / Ticking on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017 | 06:42 PM
|
Thumbs down Clicking / Ticking on acceleration

Hey guys.

2011 xfr - 66k.
Just at dealer getting front banana arms big bushings replaced under extended warranty. No noise, but bushing leaked out.

Picked up car and drove roughly 1 mile to DTD for new front tires. Low speed - the old fronts were worn, badly, dealer said not to drive far. I didn’t notice a noise but was being very conservative because of old tires being so bad. (Inside sidewall chords showing).

When I go to leave tire shop, on acceleration, hear a sound like baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle. When it starts off, it sounds like a brake dust shield is rubbing - but progresses to a clicking noise.

Took it back to tire shop, they hear the noise and invite me out to investigate with them. We cant find anything. All the the brake dust shields are good and not rubbing. All tires spin freely with no noises. Jacked up rear, turned off DSC and accelerated - no noise....

Idle up in park, no noise (no bad noise that is...)

I am stumped. But do plan on returning to dealer on Tuesday to have them look again.

Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2017 | 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

So it only makes the sound when on the move, if so is it still noisy on a coast?

Old 12-30-2017 | 07:49 PM
|

I wondered that too. Took it up to speed, put in neutral, and coasted with no noise.

It’s really noticeable when I hit the gas and accelerate. I’ve tried to load up the engine buy giving it increasing gas while holding the brakes on.... i don’t “think” I hear the noise then. But I am not pushing it, don’t want to make a scene. Maybe tomorrow in a empty parking lot.

Btw, we could not decide if it’s in the front or back.... I wonder if I have a bad tranny or engine mount. Under load the engine twists and I hear something rubbing the driveline?

Last edited by ashbypa; 12-30-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2017 | 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ashbypa
I wondered that too. Took it up to speed, put in neutral, and coasted with no noise.

It’s really noticeable when I hit the gas and accelerate. I’ve tried to load up the engine buy giving it increasing gas while holding the brakes on.... i don’t “think” I hear the noise then. But I am not pushing it, don’t want to make a scene. Maybe tomorrow in a empty parking lot.

Btw, we could not decide if it’s in the front or back.... I wonder if I have a bad tranny or engine mount. Under load the engine twists and I hear something rubbing the driveline?
You might check the flex joint and transmission mount, they seem to like to go at the same time. Just replaced both mine about 3 weeks ago.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gwee-bo-193092

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-30-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2018 | 10:03 AM
|

Ok, I forced the family in to a drive. Doing fire drills every few hundred yards. That way they’d could compare front to back. They all swear the noise is coming from the transmission tunnel - right behind the center console. Not the wheel wells.

At least I know where th noise is coming from.

Drive shaft? What would’ve been touched to cause something to start rubbing the driveshaft? Only thing is the Epb Cable or rod I think. I have to remove shields to see what’s going on. Maybe it’s mounts and guibo allowing too much flex.

Btw way, don’t try and spin the front wheels with just your hands without being very careful....finger slipped in the spoke and got caught between wheel and caliper...almost lost to tip...5 stitches and a lot of frustration......

Old 01-05-2018 | 07:15 PM
|

Crazy closure.

Service tech took it for a drive with me and agreed something bad was happening.

They took it back to the shop and found that the exhaust shields had lost some of their attachment rivets and the shields were causing the sound. Even though we all agreed the scuffing sounds seemed to be wheel or drive shaft based. Driveline vibration causing the sound.

Pulled exhaust, “drilled out all rivers and redid them all” and mysteriously the problem is gone.

I still feel like calling BS. But the problem is gone so I guess I am good.

Andrew