XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Climate Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 04:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate Seats

Good Morning everyone,

I've just recently bought my first Jaguar XF and found a few niggles with it here and there so would be very grateful for any advice people may have on here.
The main problem I'm having is the drivers climate seat functions. I have already scanned through lots of other threads regarding these. The passenger seat heats up and the fan runs when the seat is switched to cold however the driver seat has the following problems;
If i start the car and put the driver seat on cold the fan can be heard, but if i put on the passenger seat cooling, the driver seat fan turns off.
Secondly the heating function works on the passenger seat but not at all on the drivers seat. The 20a fuse is OK and no wires seem damaged or dislodged. Has anyone ever had this and managed to fix the problem?

Many thanks in advance everyone.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Did you come across the issue of leaking air ducts on your thread travels?

These seat heating/cooling units do fail, and the primary cause is that there is a length of "accordion-like" plastic tubing that goes from the fan unit to the peltier unit that provides heating/cooling. These peltier units work by heating or cooling the air blown across them, depending on the polarity of voltage they're supplied with. If you don't get enough air flowing over the unit it can overheat, at which point the control unit shuts it off (so you can't even hear the fan). If it goes through enough of these cycles, it can (in my experience) permanently damage the peltier - which explains why some people repair the piping but it still doesn't fix the issue.

The two causes of not enough air going over the peltier unit are either blocked air filters on the fans (which is usually unlikely but possible), or a split in the piping between the fan and the peltier unit, allowing the air from the fan to dissipate into the seat rather than blowing over the peltier unit, cooling it but also heating the air. Unfortuntately if you do need to replace the unit, they don't come cheap (few hundred $$s last time I checked). I haven't yet investigated whether other FoMoCo cars from the same era have interchangable parts but I bet they do.

(BTW Greetings to Mummerset from a Bristolian now living in California)

Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi davetibbs,
thanks for the response, I have seen a few threads with the piping mentioned so i will look into that first now I think. Hopefully its just that causing the problem.
thanks again
(Hope your liking california, not quite the west country though is it? Haha, Gurt Lush)