XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Clockspring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017 | 01:12 PM
|
Default Clockspring replacement

Has anyone had the unfortunate pleasure of having been in an accident that fired the steering wheel bag? I'm trying to figure out if the clockspring has to be replaced since I was getting codes B0001-13 and B0002-13. The airbag itself was replaced but these codes kept coming up. i took everything apart and noticed that the nylon sheath over one of the clockspring harnesses was singed from the heat of the bag going off. The wires did not appear damaged and once reaseembled, the light remained off for almost 2 weeks but has now turned on again with those same 2 codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kevin
2014 3.0SC

Old 02-04-2017 | 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

What do those two codes mean?

Old 02-05-2017 | 07:33 AM

From my experience the pin connections leading to air bag itself are often compromised due to the heat produced. There are very small connecting ferrules that do the connecting and good contact through them would be most important. Are you fairly sure that all the pins and ferrules were clean and making good contact when you put it together? Concerning the singing of the ribbon, it should be a fairly easy thing to check the resistance of all four wires from start to finish. Since the problem was late onset I would think either the pins are not making good contact due to previously deposited carbon or the singed ribbon finally gave way. I assume that you had your SRS module reprogrammed or replaced? From my experience, I had problems clearing out the codes after the reinstall in the main computer with a lower grade code reader and had to borrow a top end unit from a mechanic friend of mine. Not being a Jag computer guru I just played around until I got it right! Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2017 | 09:18 PM
|

See update below, wish i had some recourse against the dealer I bought it from for lying about the airbag deployment but i'm sure the " as is " clause leaves me up ***** creek. Some lessons we have to learn the hard way...Never buy a jaguar...thats been wrecked...that has a salvage title...that you didnt get to inspect.
Cheers

Kinda scary digging into the airbag system of a 2014 but honestly, the only hard part was getting the stupid airbag module itself to release from the steering wheel

It became apparent rather quickly that someone else was already in here and like previously mentioned, the heat of the bag going off melted the connectors which the tried to reconnect but did not do a good job. Ne clock-spring fitted and light is long gone.

Old 03-06-2017 | 04:11 PM

kmarajh,

Sorry for your problems as no one likes to have to deal with issues like these as they could have been avoided. I would not go so far as to say that buying a salvage title jag is necessarily a bad thing. Sure, there are wrecked cars that probably should not be rebuilt but there are many others that have relatively minor damage that can be rebuilt and enjoyed(ask my wife!) Needless to say, the term "Buyer Beware" is more important that ever and getting a decent multimonth warranty from the seller would be a good thing. In the end, salvage titled vehicles are always sold for a deep discount versus a clean title (30-50%) so one can easily absorb a few issues if all else is OK.

Having rebuilt several air bag systems I can say that most of the problems arrive at the electrical pin connections due to the heat from the detonation. I have installed new clock springs several times and not several times due to their condition. In your case I would have to say that for a $100 Ebay used unit all of the wire splices could have been avoided which is a good idea on a resistance monitored system like the SRS. Glad it ended up being a relatively cheap fix for you.

Hope all else is OK with your ride from here on out!

Old 01-04-2019 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by kmarajh
See update below, wish i had some recourse against the dealer I bought it from for lying about the airbag deployment but i'm sure the " as is " clause leaves me up ***** creek. Some lessons we have to learn the hard way...Never buy a jaguar...thats been wrecked...that has a salvage title...that you didnt get to inspect.
Cheers

Kinda scary digging into the airbag system of a 2014 but honestly, the only hard part was getting the stupid airbag module itself to release from the steering wheel

It became apparent rather quickly that someone else was already in here and like previously mentioned, the heat of the bag going off melted the connectors which the tried to reconnect but did not do a good job. Ne clock-spring fitted and light is long gone.
Hi,
I need to do the clock spring on my 2007 XKR and was hoping you could give me some advice

I've noticed that you need a special tool to remove the air bag module - how did you do this?

Also there is a tool for the clock spring, I think to hold it in place when removing. Can I ask if you needed this and what you did?

The photos are really useful - do you have a step by step of how you did it?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Ian