XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Collecting my New 2.2D Today! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Collecting my New 2.2D Today! :-)

After nearly 7 months of planning, selecting, saving and waiting I finally collect my 2.2D this afternoon - woohoo!

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive, creeping down the hallway at 4 this morning (GMT) because I couldn't sleep. This is the first new Jaguar I've ever bought and a long time goal finally achieved, and I'm certain I won't be disappointed.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing, but I'm sure most of you will have been there at some time waiting for your own Jaguar collection day to arrive.

WeegieBob.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I am very happy for you
Happy safe driving

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome aboard. Why did you choose a diesel Jag. How is its performance compared to gas burners?

Riq

Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome Bob! As a British exile in the US, I remember well the concept of having to wait to collect a new car - even a used one. Most US buyers buy cars off the lot - the amount of stock US dealers hold is incredible. Imagine my surprise when I first came to the US, selected my new car and asked when I could collect it - the dealer looked puzzled, handed me the key and I was on my way within 30 minutes... took away the anticipation, which is a big part of the fun!

Rique - at the risk of speaking for him, Bob is in the UK, where a huge % (not sure of the figure, maybe 75%) of new cars are diesel. The cost of the car is higher than the petrol equivalent, as is the fuel itself, but the economy if you do more than about 15,000 miles per year makes it a no-brainer for most people. That, plus the torque levels of a diesel match those of a much bigger petrol engine. Apart from the lack of character in the engine note, diesels are fantastic for real world driving. I wish they did the 3.0S here in the states. The 2.2 was brought in because of the way the UK government taxes company-provided cars - it gets the CO2 emissions below an important threshold.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

WeegieBob,

Congratulations on the new Jaguar. Wish you many miles of safe driving.

What color did you choose?

Also, pictures are a must.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Congratulations Bob!
+1 on the pics.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  19.3 KB

Weegiebob - congrats on the new 2.2 all singing all dancing Jag......great choice.
You won't get any reprimands here for showing your excitement for all to see.....we've all been there mate.

However - having said all of the above if you don't get back here quick smart and share a few pics this thread will be removed and you'll be banned forever.....lol

Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments, they're much appreciated!

darlo - no problems whatsoever on my part with you answering Rique's question - you're spot on on all counts.

Originally Posted by JimC64
However - having said all of the above if you don't get back here quick smart and share a few pics this thread will beremoved and you'll be banned forever.....lol
I've been banned off one Jag site already, I don't want to make it two, so pictures tonight all things going well! LOL!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  19.3 KB

[quote=WeegieBob;49144
I've been banned off one Jag site already, I don't want to make it two, so pictures tonight all things going well! LOL! [/quote]

Just outta curiosity, which forum and why??

You seem to have slotted in well here right from the get go, apart from
the lack of pics of course >>>>> still waiting...lol

Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Hi Jim,

I joined another Jaguar related web site a month or so before I ordered the car as I wanted to learn as much as I could about the car before I took the plunge. All went well, nice folks, good content and I posted a couple of times with what little I could add from my background in the car trade when I wasn't working as a fireman.

Anyway, I started a thread where it wobbled a little as it got a wee bit off topic in a couple of posts, which I found good fun in their own right, but the next time I visited the thread they were gone. I asked the Admin what I considered a perfectly reasonable question about why were they deleted, his response was obtuse to say the least so I probed a little harder ........... and I was instantly banned with no explanation.

What is really disappointing for me is I've been a moderator on an American based car web site for 12 years and also on a UK fire brigade web site for 6 years and I have never seen such an abuse of authority in all my years as a moderator, let alone a member. That said, its his ball, he sets the standards, but its fairly obvious everybody walks a very fine line in what he considers acceptable participation.

After nearly 14 years of internetting, a member of numerous web sites, some as a moderator this was the first time I've ever been banned in my life, to say I was shocked is putting it mildly.

Bob.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Pictures as promised -

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  96.3 KB

Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

WeegieBob,

Very nice. Great color combo too!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Just gorgeous. Someday that will be me (I hope!).

Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

WOW. It looks gorgeous.
I like the color.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks Guys.

Executive - the colour is Cashmere, which took me by complete surprise as I was going for one of the metallic silvers. I had arrived at the dealers to choose the car, but the salesman I had been working with had a customer with him so I took a wander around the showrooms (its a multi-fanchise outfit selling Jaguars, Volvos and Land Rovers).

And there in the Jaguar showroom was an XF in Cashmere and I was hooked. The pictures don't really do the colour justice as to me its a light metallic mint green with a very slight hint of gold - gold being a colour I'd never buy, but as they say "never say never".

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Well that's me into a week of ownership and all in all the Jaguar experience has been fabulous.

A couple of little things needed sorting - a loose bit of interior 'wooden' trim and a rattling hood, both sorted the same day I called about them and treated to a coffee & shortbread biscuit (cookie) while I waited.

I don't know if you guys even have the XF 2.2 D, let alone the 'Stop/Start' system fitted to them, however I have and whilst it took a few days to get used to pulling up at traffic lights, etc and having the engine cutting out to save fuel I'm much more used to it now.

The only thing I find is I have to be a bit more alert for the lights changing as when the engine re-starts its almost like it hesitates for a moment and then picks up. But its no biggy, all I've done is adjusted my driving style to take into account the start / stop and be slightly quicker off the brakes at lights, etc to restart the engine so that I can move off at the same pace as the rest.

I'm not sure how popular this system is going to be but doing a fair amount of city driving I've noticed just how long the engine can be shut down at traffic lights not burning fuel.

Last edited by WeegieBob; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

We don't get any diesel Jaguar, yet. Stop start will not be popular over here, no matter how unobtrusive it seems to be. Our petrol costs about 80 P per liter for 95 Octane. About $1.30 in Canada. Our 91 premium fuel is equivalent to your 95.

US prices are even lower.

Diesel is slightly more expensive than that in Canada.

The stop start system on your car is integral with the newest ZF 8 spd transmission. It is almost unobtrusive because the electirc motor is so powerful. Next step is to integrate this motor in even more powerful form into a truly workable hybrid drive. When that is perfected for use by the public you will not need to use the fuelled engine at all when driving in stop and go heavy traffic. Likely the stop start function will be programmed to operate above a certain road speed or when the driver steps hard on the accelerator. Then we'll see some really impressive urban cycle full economy. Your 2.2 turbo diesel 8spd combo is the leading edge of practical and enjoyable hybrid drive. Thankfully, it will eventually mean the end of Prius type vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
WeegieBob (04-08-2012)