XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Connector pipe to water pump leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Connector pipe to water pump leak.

Just reassembled the cooling system after changing all the pipes and hoses, but I have a problem. When using my airlift, the small "push to fit" connector into the water pump leaks vacuum, the airlift won't go over 15lbs and it runs down quickly once shop air is removed. This connector pipe comes from the "new" design of upper hose mentioned earlier in the thread "coolant leak got lucky". (new design explained here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...number-177352/ )
I notice that the old connector had been shaved shorter than the new one (the water pump was replaced at around 15k miles under warranty so probably done then by the dealer?) but I can't see what difference that would make as the connecting pipe is parallel. I tried some silicone lube on the pipe but that didn't help to seat it better.

old on the left.

The offending joint.

Not sure what to do now, I can't see a fix except maybe a new water pump?

Is it possible this is only a negative pressure problem? Guess I could try pressuring the system and see what happens?

Or is it possible that the pipe WASN'T shaved off but that a piece has rotted off and is stuck inside? The new pipe doesn't seem to be going in that far tbh.

Last edited by kenc; 08-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:55 PM

Well, I had to go back and check the idea that maybe the pipe had rotted and was stuck inside.

Eureka!

The following users liked this post:
Paul Fisher (09-11-2022)
Old 08-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Well, short lived excitement. Reassembled everything and it looked good, system was holding pressure it seemed but I had put a paper towel under that connection, and unfortunately it was wet. I watched it for a while and a bead of water formed about once every thirty seconds, so the leak is tiny but it is there.

I could buy a new o-ring if I knew the size, but I don;t have the best of luck in accurately measuring o-rings and nothing in my 500 piece o-ring kit fits.

Looks like a new water pump is on the cards, which is maybe not such a bad thing anyway.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 AM

Ordering a water pump and outlet tube tonight, I feel stupid as this is the THIRD load of shipping I am paying for this job.

Also found an o-ring set on Amazon that is very different to the three sets I already have - it has a 6x2, 6x2.5 and a 6x3mm o-ring in the set, I am betting one of those will work. It's kinda moot now since I'm ordering a water pump but as the line form Magnum Force goes "I's gots to know"

At least I should be able to report back on what the o-ring size is for those who get leaks from that push to lock fitting on the water pump.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts

Originally Posted by kenc
Well, I had to go back and check the idea that maybe the pipe had rotted and was stuck inside.

Eureka!

when you re installed the print and the little plastic sleeve into the brass sleeve how did you install it. Currently dealing with this issue and have no idea how the o ring sits in the brass sleeve.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts

Originally Posted by tkamm
when you re installed the print and the little plastic sleeve into the brass sleeve how did you install it. Currently dealing with this issue and have no idea how the o ring sits in the brass sleeve.
sorry o ring not prints