XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Considering Purchasing an XF Sportbrake

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Purchasing an XF Sportbrake

Hello all. I couldn't find a thread that already answers this but I'm sure one exists. So, sorry for the duplication!

I'm from the US (Michigan) and I really want a used 2018 XF Sportbrake. I found one with the right color combo and options nearby and drove it yesterday. It only has 5k miles as a service loaner and is in perfect shape. I was going to hold off on buying for another year but I've got the itch now!

Here's the problem. They're asking $49k which is a good price. But it isn't certified so it only has a warranty up to 60k miles which is less than 3 years for me. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the CPO warranty extension...I am going to email and ask if that is possible.

With all the fancy electronics and the high cost of repairing European cars in the US I'm a little nervous about reliability. My real question is, Should I be concerned? Are all the bad things you hear about British cars a thing of the past? If I buy this I dont plan on buying another car for 8-10 years.

Thank you in advance,
Sean

Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ppiprelude
Hello all. I couldn't find a thread that already answers this but I'm sure one exists. So, sorry for the duplication!

I'm from the US (Michigan) and I really want a used 2018 XF Sportbrake. I found one with the right color combo and options nearby and drove it yesterday. It only has 5k miles as a service loaner and is in perfect shape. I was going to hold off on buying for another year but I've got the itch now!

Here's the problem. They're asking $49k which is a good price. But it isn't certified so it only has a warranty up to 60k miles which is less than 3 years for me. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the CPO warranty extension...I am going to email and ask if that is possible.

With all the fancy electronics and the high cost of repairing European cars in the US I'm a little nervous about reliability. My real question is, Should I be concerned? Are all the bad things you hear about British cars a thing of the past? If I buy this I dont plan on buying another car for 8-10 years.

Thank you in advance,
Sean
Hi Sean
We bought a 2014 sportbrake last year and it is great no issues so far. We traded in a Volvo V70 that we had for 15 years, that was a good car also. We have a friend who has a 2018 Sportbrake and he has had no problems up to now.
I know you will be wanting more info from your side of the pond :-) but thought i would add my bit. We intend to keep this a few years, fingers crossed :-)
Kind Regards
Tony

Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 PM

Well, update. I'm picking up the car tomorrow. I guess I'll update y'all on reliability down the road somewhere.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

As far as the dodgy electrical systems that gave Jaguar a bad rep in the 1970's and 80s, that's all in the history books. 2018 hasn't been around long enough to know what issues it might have long-term, however, the key to reliability on these cars is not just doing the crucial minimum fluid changes, but also proactively heading off whatever little issues are discovered before they become expensive. If you are planning to keep it for 8 to 10 years, you really need to read these forums on a regular basis and keep up with what other owners are experiencing. Somebody is always going to rack up the mileage faster than you, discover issues before you do and we'll have a nice online discussion about what to do to prevent it from happening to the rest of us. For example, if you know the water pump is prone to leak, you can open your hood and check it once in a while. Then when you see the first early warning symptoms, its just a few hundred dollars for replacement compared to driving around unaware until the engine overheats. I.e. now that you've bought the car, make sure to stick around here on the forum, maybe even join your local club. Oh and be sure and post pics in the X260 subforum when you get a chance.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 271 Posts

The Jag is on par with the German luxury brands in terms of reliability and service costs. So expect to have some very large repair bills over the next 8-10 years unless you can do all your own work. If you magically don't have those repair bills, count yourself lucky, but if you do, don't be that guy that comes on here and says, "a car that MSRP's for $80K should last 1000 years without any failures."

Old 09-28-2019, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
The Jag is on par with the German luxury brands in terms of reliability and service costs. So expect to have some very large repair bills over the next 8-10 years unless you can do all your own work. If you magically don't have those repair bills, count yourself lucky, but if you do, don't be that guy that comes on here and says, "a car that MSRP's for $80K should last 1000 years without any failures."
Thanks for the input everybody!

Knowing that the XF has been around for a long time is one of the things that gives me comfort. I fully expect some large repair bills once that warranty runs out. Luckily I know some folks that own a very good European repair shop in town when that time comes. However, I am going to miss the simplicity of my WRX and things like a gear shifter that doesn't disappear!

I work in automotive electronics and have been through JLR's electronics review process. In my opinion they have the best review process in the industry and some very smart people running it. That gives me comfort as well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a fun and unique car. I dont think I've seen a single XF Sportbrake in the wild in the US so I'm sure it will get a lot of looks.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:24 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

The biggest thing for me, wrt buying a Jaguar, is to always purchase one that still has some time on the factory warranty (CPO is ok). That way, I'll know that the car likely doesn't have any deferred maintenance or original problems from the factory. After that it's exactly like ppiprelude says, follow the recommendations from this list, don't let problems slide, and investigate any issue at the earliest opportunity.
AND ... find a non-dealer repair shop as close to you as possible.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD 3.0 (it's aubergine...)
2018 JCNA Class N Slalom 2nd-Place
Past B: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
2015 JCNA Class M Slalom Champion
Past A: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 AM

if you buy this one you won't need to by another car for at least that long or longer, I have an 05 sportbreak and I love it. If I could afford a new one I would in a second, I'm hoping they will continue to produce these till I can afford one that is only a few years old. Good luck take the itch!! by the way it is a thing of the past with the European models these days..they were taken over by Ford then passed on to an Indian mfg. Ford put them one the right track and made them really better performers in the long run.

Mike

Old 12-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ppiprelude
Well, update. I'm picking up the car tomorrow. I guess I'll update y'all on reliability down the road somewhere.
one white paper out there said it is the car that wont let you down...I've had my 2005 sportbrake since 2015 I had a few issues in the beginning, at 53,954 but since then oil, filter rotation, flush and fill a few items nothing more. Now I'm at 98,000 I love this car, too bad Jag did not make these the same price of the 2005 - 2009 models but...thats progress I suppose. Enjoy your new car!! post a picture

Old 12-23-2019, 08:15 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>I've had my 2005 sportbrake since 2015
Ok, gotta know, are you talking about an X-Type wagon (or Jagon, or Jagwag). As a previous X-Type owner I was not aware of that car being referred to as a sportbrake. The new XF wagon is, but this is a X250 list and to my knowledge neither the S-Type or the initial XF offered a station wagon body.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (it's aubergine)

Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 AM

I am sorry about that sport wagon is what they called them not sport-break. anyway I look fwd to getting in mine and drive. I just love it its too bad jaguar made them so expensive, I see more of the crossovers on the road than before...its a land rover for heaven sakes. if they would have make the new sport break more in the range of what the x-type was priced at, these would have made a much better reveal. Oh well...I guess the indian company did not have a clue. beautiful car but have not seen even one on the road. much like the x-type sport wagon.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>I look fwd to getting in mine and drive. I just love it
Ok, but U didn't answer the question, what car do you have? A X-Type Jagwag or a new (i.e., X260) XF "wagon"
==================================================
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 12-24-2019, 09:03 AM

I'm sorry about that...I have a 2005 Jaguar X-Type sport wagon...I stand corrected...I love it, it may be 15 yrs old almost but I just love my Jag....always thought I wanted an Xke but I don't think it would have thrilled me as much as the X type...Love it
Enjoy yours keep it maintained and you will drive it for a very long time.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

2014 Jaguar XFR-S V8 - 550hp.

This is the only Sportbrake I would have considered. Too bad they didn't import to USA, (Saw one posted for sale in Germany a couple years back, I should have bought it...)

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/17/...-drive-review/

Last edited by Tijoe; 12-25-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-26-2019, 07:37 AM
pab
Veteran Member

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/17/...-drive-review/

Nice, nice, very nice...
================================================== ===========
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Old 10-15-2020, 01:02 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd love to find a decent used Sportbrake S 3-liter here in the US but with reportedly only about 250 of all configurations of the Sportbrake in the States, for the few years they have been imported, my chances are not very good, especially to find a color combination I can love, such as the dark blue with the brogue leather. Crying shame it wasn't offered in BRG here! Looking on-line at the few used ones listed in the States, I was truly appalled to see that some have hideously tacky two-tone seats in black and white and even more shocking lipstick red black. Even models with the broque seats have a lot of black in the interior. I really miss the days of saddle tan Connolly leather and polished wood.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:08 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>I really miss the days of saddle tan Connolly leather and polished wood.
Yup, those days are gone, gone, gone
Everything looks like a Toyota these days
==================================================
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935