XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Considering an XF

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an XF

I posted this in the new member area but wanted to share it here as well. I am looking at picking up an XF but frankly the list of problems that have been reported by owners on the forum is making me hesitate. I can certainly afford to buy the car, but I’m wondering if I can afford to own it, and if I want to be dealing with a litany of ongoing issues. I’m curious to hear from others if it’s worth the trouble, or if the problems are actually manageable.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:58 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

This forum represents less than 1% of XF owners. The other 99% rarely have any problems. I don't believe there is a forum out there for those of us who hardly ever have to do anything other than scheduled maintenance. I've had my 2010 XF for nearly a year. My only problem has been a broken wire in the wiring harness located in the boot/trunk lid. The best thing you can do is get a pre-purchase inspection from a qualified mechanic. In addition, have them check for any error codes.

The following users liked this post:
Dgsteiner (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

It's a valid point that these forums are for the enthusiasts, who tend to tinker on their cars, repair any issues, and report on same. Visit any motoring/boating/ etc. forum and you'll come across a multitude of issues. Everything has it's fair share of problems. Then there's the "luck of the draw" aspect. Anyone can buy a lemon! I've owned my 2009 3.0 Diesel XF for two years this month and haven't had a single issue with it, except for losing sound intermittently in my drivers door speaker. Not the end of the world in terms of motoring issues.
I'm not saying that these cars, like any others, are immune to problems. Buy the right model, buy with your head and not your heart. Some XF's have inherent issues. Water pumps on 5.0 litre models come to mind...……. Get as many opinions from as many owners as is possible and good luck with your purchase, if you do take the plunge. I couldn't really be happier.

Dgsteiner (01-05-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just to close the loop on this, I had the car inspected and it apparently needs new rotors and tires (not too surprising), and there was a question mark about the bumper and quarter panel. They may have been repaired. The listing said they had all the maintenance records, and that it had all the scheduled maintenance done, but in actuality the salesman flat out said they don’t have anything beyond what’s on the carfax. So while this is a little disappointing I’m not going to get it. It was a beautiful car though!! I’ll hopefully get my Jag someday.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading car forums is a bit like watching the news, you only usually see the bad bits. Enthusiast forums like this are also full of people wanting to improve or work on their own cars.

I have had a 2014 XF 3.0d V6 with low (35k) mileage. All I've spent so far is new tyres and brakes and the car will be going in soon to have a door lock replaced (common fault). Like any car as complex as a Jag make sure you either get a really good extended warranty and / or keep some spare cash in the bank! Also stick to the maintenance schedule. For example, although my car has only done 35k it's already on the 72 month (90k?) service (the one that replaces all fluids, brake lines etc) and I'm already planning the cam belt, tensioners and water pump replacement. Plan ahead, look after it and you will be fine.

For very little money you can get yourself a stunning car that will put a smile on your face. There are plenty of Jags for sale so take your time, haggle and find the car you really want. If you go for a test drive and you get out with a smile on your face and afterwards feel the need to drive one again then you have been bitten by the Jag bug! Out of all the high performance cars I've owned the Jag is by far the best!

Good luck and hope so see a photo of your new Cat very soon!

Dave

Dgsteiner (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

First, make sure to find a good non-dealer repair shop. Then start shopping for a car.
If you have the first, you can afford the second...
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine