XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Considering the XF as my next purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the XF as my next purchase

Hi everyone, my first post here. I've been looking into the XF for a while now and I'm considering buying the car in the near future. I've read enough reviews that I know a thing or two about the car, however I don't like to base my purchasing decisions on them because the reviewers usually have the car for only a few weeks or less. Also, almost everyone I know tells me not to buy a Jag due to their poor reliability. But I think you can't really compare modern cars to older generations so reliability should be much improved (or maybe not).

So... I would like to hear some honest opinion from XF owners, what do you guys think about your car and its reliability? Do you have any regrets? And how would you compare the XF with BMW 5 series (My current car).

Thanks a bunch!
K

Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Bought my 09 used in Jan 2013 with 54k km on it and it has around 102k km on it now.

Only issue was with random tpms warnings. A software reflash (performed free of charge at the dealership) sorted it.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by BigK9
Hi everyone, my first post here. I've been looking into the XF for a while now and I'm considering buying the car in the near future. I've read enough reviews that I know a thing or two about the car, however I don't like to base my purchasing decisions on them because the reviewers usually have the car for only a few weeks or less. Also, almost everyone I know tells me not to buy a Jag due to their poor reliability. But I think you can't really compare modern cars to older generations so reliability should be much improved (or maybe not).

So... I would like to hear some honest opinion from XF owners, what do you guys think about your car and its reliability? Do you have any regrets? And how would you compare the XF with BMW 5 series (My current car).

Thanks a bunch!
K
I have owned three Jaguars (XJR, XKR, F Type R) and they have all been great cars. Although I admire the look of the XF, I have yet to own one, but likely next time.
The JD power reliability score for Jaguars has improved over time as well.
Lawrence.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

HSo... I would like to hear some honest opinion from XF owners, what do you guys think about your car and its reliability? Do you have any regrets? And how would you compare the XF with BMW 5 series (My current car).
Reliability has been superb. My only regret is not getting at least a 5.0 or a 5.0 S/C. If you are a hard core BMW person and love BMW's, you may not like the XF. If you are like me and lots of things about BMW's annoy you or you just don't want to be another mindless drone in a 5-series/E-class/A6, you may like the XF.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Liked my first so much I bought another one.

Started with the X Type as a used car. Great to drive but not good to own. The XF is a totally different ownership experience. Quality is excellent and they are truly sublime to drive.

No German car comes close to these British cars for a good ride and great handling together. Has to be lived with to really appreciate just how much better these cars are than the German makes.

Only a new model (2014) Lexus IS 350 or GS 350 compares.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 355 Likes on 269 Posts

I like them so much, I bought 2 XFs!

As a true car guy that's owned all types of cars, that's saying something.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

We bought ours Memorial Day weekend. We love the car. No problems whatsoever. Great combination of comfort, luxury and performance. The only way to get my wife out of the car is with a crowbar.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. Look is a big part of my decision, I really like the XF, the 5-series is while handsome but a bit bland in comparison. I'm narrowed down my choices to the XF or the new Maserati Ghibli. I know they're in different price tiers but I consider them in the same class. What do you guys think?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Jaguar XF

I bought a 2012 CPO XF with 10,000 miles on the odometer just about one year ago. Reliability has been great and car gets many compliments wherever I go. I have the 5.0 eight cylinder engine and it is very smooth. Check You Tube for a test track comparison with a 550i and you will see that the Jaguar came out on top.

I have the base sound system and several months ago I went to a high end stereo shop to install a sub woofer which I felt was needed. I have been using this shop for years and their work has always been good. (a 10 inch JL Audio sub and amp in the trunk made a huge difference in sound quality).

When speaking with the owner of the shop, he told me that they had just done some stereo work on a new Maserati Ghibli. He said that the electronics were an absolute nightmare and that support from Maserati was almost non existent. Parts were also very difficult to obtain and took forever to get. He went so far as to say that he would not accept any work on a Ghibli in the future.

Just something to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks guys. Look is a big part of my decision, I really like the XF, the 5-series is while handsome but a bit bland in comparison. I'm narrowed down my choices to the XF or the new Maserati Ghibli. I know they're in different price tiers but I consider them in the same class. What do you guys think?
I think the Ghibli looks great! Even though it doesn't have the XF's V8 power that is also ok. What gets me, I was thinking about purchasing one, is the Chrysler 300 level interior. Such a letdown.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i bought my XFR i compared and drove the M5 and the 6.3AMG and the S7 and S8. Jag was not only less $$$$ - but better all around...performance, options and had a LOT less plastic than the other...and a LOT MORE class...

I am in no way sad about this purchase. I love the car, it turns me on every time I turn it on hahaha

Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

BigK9,

You didn't indicate what year and model of 5 series you own or if your XF will be purchased new or used? I have a 2011 XF SC purchased new and only have had one very minor problem in 16000 miles, a squeaking steering column when it adjusts. I bought this car over a 2011 550xi and have not regretted the decision. If you are buying used I would consider a 2012 or higher Xf SC or XFR. Not sure if they make a SC version in Shanghai. I believe improvements in 2012 are worth the upgrade. I think a totally new XF is due in 2016.
Depreciation on Jags is greater than BMW's but you may be able to get more features on Jag.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2009 XF SC with 25,000 miles in November and it's been problem after problem. I wish I could say it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned but so far it hasn't. I just posted a thread detailing most of the things recently going on with my XF

Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Xf is a beautiful car.

Of all the reasons I purchased one, one really sticks out. The car.

I see so many BMW's, new body style, everyday in my commute and around town.

Just like the new Lexus IS's, I see alot of the new ones, with the "F" body style package, especially in white.

I barely see Jags around where I am at. When I do see one, a thumbs up is always the given and received. Just a neat car comradery.

An "XFR" is rare around here, and that makes me want an "R" even more.

Good luck on the search, and if worries about mechanicals, purchase an trustworthy extended warranty, if one from the jaguar dealer is not offered during purchase.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to say that I do love my car. It's the most beautiful car I've ever owned. It's the most beautiful car other than my friends Maserati in my town. It turns heads everywhere I go. When someone first gets in it they are amazed. It has a WOW factor about it.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
BigK9,

You didn't indicate what year and model of 5 series you own or if your XF will be purchased new or used? I have a 2011 XF SC purchased new and only have had one very minor problem in 16000 miles, a squeaking steering column when it adjusts. I bought this car over a 2011 550xi and have not regretted the decision. If you are buying used I would consider a 2012 or higher Xf SC or XFR. Not sure if they make a SC version in Shanghai. I believe improvements in 2012 are worth the upgrade. I think a totally new XF is due in 2016.
Depreciation on Jags is greater than BMW's but you may be able to get more features on Jag.
Thanks for all of your responses guys! I currently own a 2013 528i xDrive. Here in Shanghai, the German big 3's are everywhere and exotics are easy to find. However I haven't seen too many Jags, so it sure will be different.

I don't think I need a V8, 2 cylinders are enough for daily driving in Shanghai traffic . I like modern tech so the supercharged V6 is more than enough. I'm even considering the 2.0T model but not sure how does it stack up with BMW's N20 (it's a beast of an engine), I'm not sure if it's the same 2.0T engine Ford uses.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yours is a 2009. Always a bad idea to get the first year of any car.

If looking at an XF I would steer towards the 5.0L engine and at least 2010 or newer.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I had the first of the model - a 2008 4.2 litre. It had a few teething issues especially with the sunroof which had it back to the dealers several times, but it was otherwise a lovely car. After the second year of ownership, I don't think I had a day's trouble with it, and I kept it for 4 1/2 years which was a record for me. I then got a 2012 5 litre. No trouble at all save for a thumping noise that was fixed by a foam baffle in the fuel tank. Now I have a 2011 XKR with 45 000 km on it. No trouble at all, save that the clock seems to lose a bit of time, which actually happened with the 08 XF as well.

Best ownership experience I've had.