XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Hi everyone
i recently got myself a 3.0 xfs. I have noticed a coolant leak topping up the reservoir quite a lot I removed the underside body panels and discovered that the foam liner was saturated. Try to locate the leak but the engine bay is so packed I can't find it would any of you gentlemen have any ideas where's the best place to look?

Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

You shoudl maked sure to introdue yourself.... forum requirement. Its also nice to know what year car and your location

But anyway, had the same issue and for me it was the water pump. Common problem. There was an upgrade for certain years, but since you did not mention yours we have no way to know if yours would have been affected.We also have not had enough experience with the redesigned pump to know if the changes definitively fixed the issue,

Also there are several plastic pipes under and behind the supercharger (it has to come off to inspect and replace), that are know to fatigue over time and split along a poorly designed seam, Several have been redesigned to have no seams ( again your year would help here)

d

Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
You shoudl maked sure to introdue yourself.... forum requirement. Its also nice to know what year car and your location

But anyway, had the same issue and for me it was the water pump. Common problem. There was an upgrade for certain years, but since you did not mention yours we have no way to know if yours would have been affected.We also have not had enough experience with the redesigned pump to know if the changes definitively fixed the issue,

Also there are several plastic pipes under and behind the supercharger (it has to come off to inspect and replace), that are know to fatigue over time and split along a poorly designed seam, Several have been redesigned to have no seams ( again your year would help here)

d
Jssaab,
You are exactly right. I have worked on many 3.0 jags and LR. The most common leaks are the water pump, the coolant outlet flange(2 piece for s/c engines) and the rear coolant manifold that runs between both cyl heads and houses one of the ETC(engine coolant temperature) sensors.

Also, extremely important that you DO NOT get the engine hot!! Have replaced several 5.0 and 3.0 engines due to overheating. It warps the block deck and requires full machining to bring everything back to true flat.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Noticed my coolant level had dropped on my twice weekly look under the hood about two months ago during an oil change.Dropped the undertray and there was evidence of a leak on either side of the bell housing, it was the rear coolant manifold .Has it replaced under warranty and spent the extra money to have all of it done at the same time to save the hassle of the rest of them beginning to go.

42K miles on the car, pretty much right on time for the leak to begin.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2015 3.0 that is spewing coolant out, now almost as fast as I can fill it - time to call roadside assistance & have it flatbedded to the dealer. Hopefully my CPO warranty covers it.
It's leaving equal trails on both sides of the engine. I can see where coolant is coming out on the driver's side. Appears to be some kind of housing about the size of a fist, leaking where the 2 halves come together. Not sure on the passenger side. The coolant reservoir didn't look extremely low but it easily took 2/3 gallon to top up.
Water pump?

Old 05-04-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive the same car, the leak I caught was just starting , it was the heater crossover pipe at the back of the engine.Jaguar flatbedded my car to the dealer in Sacramento who did the fix under CPO warranty no sweat. I paid them to replace the rest of the plastic since they were already in there.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dulson
Hi everyone
i recently got myself a 3.0 xfs. I have noticed a coolant leak topping up the reservoir quite a lot I removed the underside body panels and discovered that the foam liner was saturated. Try to locate the leak but the engine bay is so packed I can't find it would any of you gentlemen have any ideas where's the best place to look?

Having a pretty bad leak myself. Pressure tested, doesn't go past 13psi.

Was told it falls under this bulletin to repair. About 2000 USD to fix.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...3/JTB00566NAS4

Old 06-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine wound up being the thermostat housing gasket. covered on my CPO warranty which expires next March.

Good to know about the rear coolant pipe. Probably can't get it replaced until it fails???? My wife and I take a lot of road trips - wouldn't like to be stranded as we were in February, 145 miles from the closest dealer. The repair was more involved than originally thought, had to spend 4 nights in Tulsa waiting on parts. Jaguar covered 1 night and some of the parts, all of the labor.