XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Having had a pretty trouble free first year of ownership, my XFR has started to feel a bit ragged of late. I was keeping a fairly short running list of small niggles that needed sorting under warranty at the next service - the most annoying of which is the driver seat base moving slightly under load. None of it was really worth dropping the car into the dealer for the several days it usually takes them to do even the smallest job around here. But now I have the bigger problem I was waiting for.

I ran out of washer fluid the other day (why no warning light that it is getting low?!) and popped the hood to refill the tank. Popping the hood is a rare thing on this car given that oil checks are done from the driver seat. I noticed a pink deposit around the front edge of the hood, and it was pooling in the hood rest wells (dunno the proper term) at the front. Then I saw it was all over the sound insulation around the edges of the hood, but mostly at the front, and around the hood vents. Then I saw it caked along the join in the coolant expansion tank and realised what it was. How long has it been doing this? The level wasn't really low at all, so I dropped it at the dealer straight away, since I am travelling this week anyway. The tech was a bit puzzled about why it was apparently exiting the engine bay at the front of the hood, but I can only assume that it was leaking after a hot run when the engine was off, rather than during normal running. It seems like a small leak, but it has caused a mess. The tech also suspects the water pump may be leaking too. I haven't had any warnings of high temp running - bit frustrating that there is no temp gauge.

Anyone else had the tank fail?

Anyway, I will report back on what the issue is, together with any fixes for the other items. Some are common, some less so.

Last edited by darlo; 10-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the post. Interested to hear your update!

Cheers,

- Will

Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I didnt have a tank fail but many of us had the water pump replaced. Keep an eye on that too.

The following users liked this post:
XF - Xtra Fast (10-01-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Well, As I sit here for yet another day waiting for the dealer to call me back, I am more or less ready to move this car on. It is a real shame that Jaguar make a lovely product, that for me has been pretty reliable, but that their dealer network is letting them down 100%. This is the third time in three visits that my car has disappeared into a black hole for days on end, with no information forthcoming and no response from the dealership. maybe they just can't understand my English accent, I don't know.

I left the car with them last Saturday (30th), gave them a list of issues to be sorted and that i didn't need a loaner since I was out of the country for a week, but that I needed the car back or a loaner on Saturday 6th. I called them on my return on Saturday morning - nobody knew anything about my car, other than that it was listed as not being ready. I explained that I needed a loaner and was told that they would call me back. I called at 5 minutes to closing to ask if they intended to call me back. The service guy knew nothing of my earlier call and I was on hold for 10 minutes waiting for him. He couldn't help me with any info or help with a loaner. He was sorry and agreed that someone would call me first thing Monday, that they would arrange to put me in a loaner and that I could speak with the Service Manager directly. Nothing heard today, so I called them an hour ago. they knew nothing about my car or my calls over the weekend. I was told they would call with info within a few minutes... Guess what?

It takes a great deal of effort to ignore a customer so completely - it can't just be a lackadaisical attitude, surely? Are these people completely devoid of any sense of customer service? At the end of the day, Jag is their customer, not me. I have an '11 so any work - any work at all - is paid for by Jag. So Jag are getting zero value from their dealers. Here is an XFR owner from new - surely someone who will be a repeat customer for their high end cars, new models etc. but is being driven from the brand by their dealers. Every dealer in Houston is owned by the same company, so there is no point in going elsewhere. I can't take any more pooor service from them - I simply have to sell the car.

Sorry for the rant - feels better...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is where to direct that rant to get some results 1-800-452-4827
You want customer support, your experience as described is unacceptable at any dealership let alone a Jaguar Dealership.

My experience has been less than perfect with my Jaguar but the service has more than made up for any inconvenience. For my needs Jaguar XFSC or XFR is the perfect vehicle. My service guy calls my cell phone and emails me what exactly is going on with my car and goes out of his way to make sure I have a XJL for a loaner. He has made my Christmas list!

Hope they get your car fixed quickly!

The following 2 users liked this post by XF - Xtra Fast:
darlo (10-08-2012), Per (10-21-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM

+1 to XF.

Call Jaguar national immediately. Get corporate on their butts. National takes their dealer satisfaction very seriously (this is what feeds JD Powers ratings and the like) and can come down on those guys like a ton of bricks.

Cheers,

- Will

The following users liked this post:
darlo (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM

Thanks - intend to do that tomorrow. Got some level of satisfaction this evening. Loaner sorted and an admission that they have a few problems with customer service, at least.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM

What did they give you for a loaner?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM

See my other thread I just posted - a base 2012 XF which is quite nice really. Was rather hoping to get a new Evoque or an XJ SuperSport, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Incidentally, I saw the salesman who sold me my car, when I went in this evening. He asked me how it was going with the car, so I unloaded on him. I told him that I wouldn't buy a jag again, simply because of this dealership, not because of the product. Told him when I get the car back that I will drive straight over the road and trade it for a Merc. I was only half joking but I got the standard response that the grass isn't always greener - usually the last refuge of the completely defective customer service organization, in my experience!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Cool I saw it right after I responded. I have been driving a 2012 XJL Loaner since Thursday while I get the electric fan replaced in my 16,000 mile XF Supercharged. My service manager knows that I have 3 kids and need a big car so he tries to make sure I have a XF or XFL for a loaner.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM

SO, I got my car back last night - just one day after making a lot of noise. I wonder what the delay was? They were waiting on a part on Monday - by the following early afternoon, job done. How fortunate! I had to force the service assistant to run thru the work list with me, but he did a very rushed job and skipped some errors... Anyway, I will be calling Jag USA...

So, the coolant leak was a blown seal on the actual tank itself, which was replaced. Also, the water pump was replaced (not sure why - was told it was a common issue, but I do wonder if they just take Jag for a ride with some of these items).

Driver seat base moving under load - worn seat frame to be replaced under warranty but the part is on back order.

Passenger seat back rattling - worn driver's seat base frame is the cause! Amazing, clearly they misread it...

Passenger front electric window misbehaving - motor was shorting, fixed.

Passenger rear door/seal misaligned (there is a gap between it and the roof line) - fixed - looks just the same.

Driver door sagging - fixed

Steering wheel turnwheel for skipping back a track not responding - unable to replicate.

Exhaust leak - found when removing for test of Mina exhaust - no longer there, but "some leak from that point is common on all cars"

Noise from steering column movement when entering/exiting car (common issue) - unable to replicate.

Engine cover loose (actually, not fixed down at all) - fixed

Car was returned to me unwashed and with leaked coolant still around the engine bay. Not good enough after 10 days with them to do just that amount of work...

Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by darlo
Car was returned to me unwashed and with leaked coolant still around the engine bay. Not good enough after 10 days with them to do just that amount of work...
That is all just very sad.

I do not like taking my car to dealerships for maintenance. I have always done my own maintenance, and have an independent Jag mechanic I go to if I get too deep. But for this car I am not willing to let Jag off the hook for any warranty issues, and considering intervals are at 15,000 miles I am willing to pay for that...

I took my car into the dealership this past weekend for a post purchase checkup and oil change. I was not happy when they quoted me $120 to reprogram the computer to allow me to use the 'global lock' function... I'll just go without.

But the service manager was very helpful. She even asked if I wanted a free key (runs about $600 I think) as she said she had some spares. Wash and vacuum of course included, which you would expect at this level.

Sorry to hear about your dealership travails...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM

That is crazy!! can you use a different service manager at the same dealer? I tired one service manager at Infiniti and had a similar experience tried another service manager and it was night and day.

Very unacceptable call Jag NA.

Our 07 Sequoia turned 100,000 miles a few months back and I paid $1300 to have Camelback Toyota replace the timing BELT, waterpump and front main crank seal. Not only did the car come back with a SPOTLESS engine compartment but he gave me a 2012 Camry loaner to drive for free and put on my upper/lower radiator hose and serpentine belt for $50 labor since he had to take off the old ones to get to the timing belt anyway.

This is what I expect for a dealership

I just got my XF back yesterday and Jaguar North Scottsdale gave it back to me super clean, full of gas and swapped out my black plastic license plate frame for a chrome Jaguar one with the chrome buttons over the bolts and a Jaguar leaper insert where the license plate will go if I ever decide to register the car.

Last edited by XF - Xtra Fast; 10-10-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add more stuff
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
That is crazy!! can you use a different service manager at the same dealer?
They have one (1; ONE; Uno; Ein etc.) Service Advisor at this dealership and he was on loan from the Land Rover side. They closed their dedicated Jag service department (at least the customer front end) about a year ago just after I bought the car. They are now opening it again and have a new service advisor starting soon, but frankly I got similarly bad service from either side. It never felt good to be taking my Jag to a LR dealer for work, but at the end of the day good service is all that counts. They still had the Jag dealer right next door and they still retained the techs of course. The other two Jag dealers in Houston are owned by the same network and a colleague has similar experiences at one of those. Service appointments at my dealer were not available within 1 month, when I booked earlier in the year!

I just got off the phone with Jag NA and they are looking into it and will get back to me within a couple of days. I think Jag are a great company making great products which they stand by with their good warranty, but their dealers absolutely suck. I hate to see them get brought down by the people representing them. I am 36 years old and a first time buyer of one of their high end products. I imagine I am exactly the type of customer they want to keep for the next 30-40 years and are designing products to keep me hooked. The F type has the potential to keep me away from the Porsche dealer next time around, but the level of service their dealers give is enough for me to turn away from it. Oh, hang on, the same network owns most of the Porsche dealers in Houston too...

Thanks to all for the moral support!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Well, the saga continues. After a call in to Jaguar North America, the service director called me and we had a decent enough discussion about the service I have had. I was fairly satisfied - I am not looking for anything here other than an acknowledgement and the promise of better service in future.

Cut to this afternoon - parking my car up in the garage for 10 days while I travel to Europe on business. I pop the hood just to give a general check of fluids etc. I noted that the coolant tank is actually brimming to the very top - not sure if that is an issue or not. Then I realised that the tank was completely loose and didn't have any fixings at all! Hmmm. I wonder whether the water pump was fitted properly too? I also noted that the driver side wiper arm (very close to the coolant tank area) is fouling the hood when it opens and has damaged the paintwork. I can't honestly say that this is a result of the recent work, but... Also, they must have taken the time to check all the fluids. The windscreen wash cap was open and had been crushed by the hood... Wonderful!

I have attached photos for your amusement. Remember, this is AFTER the dealer has had the car for 10 days! I should have made a better check when I collected it, I realise that. On the other hand, one can expect to have a level of trust in high end marque workshops, surely?

I am absolutely livid, it goes without saying. The dealer is sending a truck for the car while I am gone. I am not very hopeful that it will be done at all, let alone properly, by the time I return. I owe a return call to my case officer at Jag NA on Monday anyway - should be interesting.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-img_0709.jpg   Coolant leak-img_0704.jpg   Coolant leak-img_0705.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't believe the stuff that is happening to you. Next time you get the car back from service, pop the hood right then and there and see if you can catch them in the act.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
>>>>snip<<<<<<
Every dealer in Houston is owned by the same company, so there is no point in going elsewhere. I can't take any more pooor service from them - I simply have to sell the car.

Sorry for the rant - feels better...
Try another dealer, often it is down to individuals because upper management do not take interest at what is going on at grass root level. Or worse they chase the wrong things for good long time results.

If that turns out equally bad time for Jag NA or even better Jag centrally. They need to get first hand info on dealer owners failing to do their job. If they do no do it already suggest they run an owner satisfaction survey based on dealer service. A timely reminder that bad customer service spread like wildfire with multiple firebugs on the move these days (forums and blogs).

Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Stay after it with Jag NA, if your having these type of issues your not alone.
If nothing else the dealer will learn that you will not put up with it and spend a little more time on your car. I can't believe your issues if I had these problems with the only Phoenix area Jag dealer I would probably get rid of my car

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM

Finally have my car back - I could have had it sooner, but have been travelling. I still need to close out with Jag NA. I had a good chat with the GM of the dealership. Told him that it is a failure of management, quite clearly. He admitted that an apprentice had been given my car to work on. I don't object to this as everyone has to learn, but that apprentice deserves to be trained properly and his line management should be closely supervising him. They have since had their top guy work on it and I am to call the GM whenever my car is due to come in and he will see to it that it is turned around effectively next time. I accept that this is all they an do. I am not inclined to use them again, but I have little choice. At least if I do use them again, there is history between us and they have a promise to live up to. We talked about them buying my car back - they were happy to have this discussion, but ultimately I still lose out! Will have to think about it some more.

Anyway, the car was delivered back very clean and all work completed. They replaced the hood liner. Proper coolant level achieved too.

When i inspected the car, I noted what looked very much like used motor oil "leaking" around the join/base of both of the funny little sticky up bits (technical parlance) on top of the air intake pipes inboard of the MAFs. The master tech came out and looked at it. I share his view that this is a solid moulded piece so there is no join, and that there shouldn't be oil in the intake pipe and why it would leak from a vacuum anyway. We concluded that it had been spilled, but it seems a bit unlikely tbh. So, what are those things for, and any idea why I might have a little (and it was a little) oil there?

Quick Reply: Coolant leak